WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

14 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

As someone who is overly technical that I find two things off in that video lol. Minor nuances really, but you aren't "turning the valves", and the starter jump thing shouldn't connect to ground, just jumping 12v to the solenoid. Why harbor freight decided to do a black and red wire for that button I will never know. 
That and if those walnut shell pieces are just "being around in the air" you should really wear a mask! 

It's impressive how gunked up those valves and ports get. What's the primary origin of the deposits? I know you don't have fuel spraying the valves like port injection, but is the stock PCV stuff really dumping that much crap into the intake of the turbo? 

Good video skills as always!

There are more than two overly technical nuances in that video, lol. Most people aren't as technical as you, but it's hard to describe things on camera without going over the top. I know you're turning the crank, which results in the valves moving. But once you say it, it's said and you can't have a back and forth conversation with yourself on video (without looking mental). You can re-record, but you're bound to mess up somewhere else down the line. Doing these videos has made me realize how hard it can be to make a continuous 10 minute video!

The walnut shells weren't just floating in the air. I opened the box and once the air-tight seal broke, little pieces went flying everywhere lol. A mask and goggles wouldn't hurt though.

These valves were actually not bad, I'm guessing they were already done at some point. If you Google pictures of other N54s, you'll see they get realllllly bad with tons of buildup. It's purely because of the PCV system, without any gasoline to clean it up. I don't think the turbos help (more chances for oil to get into the system).

56 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I would strongly suggest making a heat shield for those ignition wires, maybe even as far as wrapping them with something as well. That's critical wiring and you don't want resistance variation due to temperature variances. Ask me how I know . 

Glad to see it's running! 
I look forward to seeing the rest buttoned up!

Yeah, I have a couple different routes I can take. Some people just tuck them as far away as possible, others wrap them in some heat-resistant wire loom, or some people just install the insulated beauty cover with some heat-reflective tape on top. I'm not sure what I want to do yet. Gotta get them mounted first.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, El Snapo said:

I know it takes a lot of effort to make videos but I think its great that you are documenting stuff like this for posterity. It will probably benefit a lot of other DIY N54-ers

Brb, Googling 'posterity'...

Thanks man! The videos have proven to be helpful so far, so I'm gonna continue putting them out. A couple extra bucks from the monetization is cool too.

I was really expecting your into to involve "Oh! Didn't see you there!"

Can you get a light that attaches to the camera? Or add lights to the garage? The big stick light in many shots is odd, and it seems to really wash out other things when looking at the stainless bench.

Looking good sir! These videos have been excellent from day one.

3 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I was really expecting your into to involve "Oh! Didn't see you there!"

Can you get a light that attaches to the camera? Or add lights to the garage? The big stick light in many shots is odd, and it seems to really wash out other things when looking at the stainless bench.

Looking good sir! These videos have been excellent from day one.

I had more stuff filmed and planned for the intro but the video got really long so I cut it out.

I’ve been thinking about getting an LED light to mount on top of the camera, but then it’s not amiable/adjustable without having to bring the camera close up on something. Playing around with ideas on my low production budget right now 😂

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Why is there a white pixel in the middle of the screen through most of the vid?
0:46 - to next clip
5:55 - 7:28

I like the black handprint on the b pillar at 9:47

Too much talking, not enough burnouts or pulls ;)

There has been a white pixel in the middle of the screen for almost all of my videos. Something between my camera and lens, dead pixel or something.

Didn't see the blank handprint you're talking about, but I know there was one in my 135i. Good call on the talking vs. car stuff. I think I need to shorten these videos up and include more action again.

• 2 weeks later...