WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

On 5/6/2016 at 9:09 AM, suspenceful said:

As you all know, I was at the NoFlyZone Midwest event this past weekend. Got almost 25 passes in. The first day was rained out, but we got a few solo runs. Going 146mph in the rain is... interesting.The second day was awesome and I was able to clock a 156.79 MPH run.

Here is a compilation video of some cars I was able to run.

26578294830_d677985b9e_c.jpg

It was a blast. I beat the crap out of the car without a hiccup and then drove 5 hours back home.

On 5/6/2016 at 4:12 PM, suspenceful said:

Found this video as well.

Quoting these to bring them over to the new page. Yup.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the dragstrip yesterday and finally broke an axle. I've dragged the car many times, but it finally gave up after a 4K RPM clutch dump with 2-step.

My options are upgraded MFactory axles for $800/pair, new OEM replacement for $500, or a used axle for $250. Might just go the used route...

In other news, I bought some wheels for my daily. OZ Ultraleggas, 18x8" with 235/40/18s on them. Through a 5mm spacer behind all four and I'm happy with the way it looks!

26881650594_a83235d4ee_c.jpg
Stormtrooper by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

26881648384_5a31d08a48_c.jpg
Posted by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

...and one of the 135i before breaking the axle.

27229007205_331fc943c6_c.jpg
Northland by Jacob Spence, on Flickr

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Well now the wagon needs to be lower! 
Wheels look good, 135 looks fantastic. I'm a touch surprised the CV's lasted this long!

I want to lower the wagon... but I know I shouldn't. First world problems.

I'm also surprised I didn't break one sooner. Apparently it isn't uncommon at all on the N54 platform.

1 hour ago, i_love_cars said:

definitely just get a set of used axles. MFactory axles aren't getting you some crazy 1000 hp/tq rating the way that their differentials do, and they're on backorder from what it looks like. 

That's what I did. Just ordered a used (68k miles) axle from a junkyard in Fon Du Lac for $64 shipped. We will see if it shows up in good condition...

one of the most offensives sounds to my ears that I have ever heard in terms of cars. Turn that shit off. Now.

I don't understand why "snap-crackle-pop" is becoming an actual thing in the community. i saw this stupid shit coming from a new M2 exhaust kit and everyone was like "omg siiiiiiiick this sounds better than e92 m3 omg inline-6 turbo motors 4 lyf brooo our cars sound cool too!!!!" 

No. Shut the fuck up stupid shitfucks this sounds like a toy cap gun I played with at the age of 6. It does not sound like a serious car. 

My only logical conclusion that I've been able to come to is that because manufacturers are no longer V8'ing All The Things, this is all that people in the enthusiast community have to cling to for sound in an age where cars have recorded engine sounds coming through speakers. 

10 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

one of the most offensives sounds to my ears that I have ever heard in terms of cars. Turn that shit off. Now.

I don't understand why "snap-crackle-pop" is becoming an actual thing in the community. i saw this stupid shit coming from a new M2 exhaust kit and everyone was like "omg siiiiiiiick this sounds better than e92 m3 omg inline-6 turbo motors 4 lyf brooo our cars sound cool too!!!!" 

No. Shut the fuck up stupid shitfucks this sounds like a toy cap gun I played with at the age of 6. It does not sound like a serious car. 

My only logical conclusion that I've been able to come to is that because manufacturers are no longer V8'ing All The Things, this is all that people in the enthusiast community have to cling to for sound in an age where cars have recorded engine sounds coming through speakers. 

680.gif

I saw this option pop up after an update on Saturday morning and did it immediately.  I, of course, went for the aggressive setting right away like it sounds you did as well.  I hated it!  My car sounded like it was broken!  I turned it down and I am happy with it.  It's fun to get the little gurgles on decel but the popping noise drove me nuts.  

Haha that's nuts, can you turn it on and off whenever you want? Definitely a fun one to have in your pocket, wouldn't want that much every day though. 

17 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

Personally, I love the sound of an exhaust with a few crackles and pops, its a much more raw sound. Many engines do it naturally, even when they're completely stock, you typically just can't hear it because the exhausts are designed to tune it out/suppress it. My e36 barely made a sound before I put the catback on, but now it goes all rice-krispies when you let off the throttle at lower RPM's and I didn't change anything else. 

5 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Haha that's nuts, can you turn it on and off whenever you want? Definitely a fun one to have in your pocket, wouldn't want that much every day though. 

Personally, I love the sound of an exhaust with a few crackles and pops, its a much more raw sound. Many engines do it naturally, even when they're completely stock, you typically just can't hear it because the exhausts are designed to tune it out/suppress it. My e36 barely made a sound before I put the catback on, but now it goes all rice-krispies when you let off the throttle at lower RPM's and I didn't change anything else. 

I miss my e36 noises.  The n54 sounds boring.

I set mine to medium for 1 second, it's not too long and not too annoying. If I let off above 3.5k, it'll usually pop really loud once then it sounds like a normal decel. Sure, it's a bit artificial but sometimes it’s fun to be a shitfuck and scare people next to you.

1 hour ago, i_love_cars said:

So, I'm not clear, do you like this or not?

I'm not partial either way, but awesome post.