WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

54 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I vote to change "epic" in your thread title to "epoch"
This literary pun is far less amusing when typing it, but it's Friday and that's just where I'm at. 

What distinguished point in his life would this be the beginning of?  Are we witnessing some kind of re-birth?  A falcon rising from the ashes?  Or is this a distinguishing moment for the e90 at which point it will continue from here in fame or infamy!

17 hours ago, B C said:

Any improvement in the 1-2? Or is it too early to tel?

twin discs are definitely noisy but really the only option to hold big power. Good vid!

I haven't been able to do a 1-2 shift at full power yet, but it's been good so far. Once the clutch is fully broken in, I'll try a NLS 1-2 redline shift and if it works, I'll be thrilled.

3 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I vote to change "epic" in your thread title to "epoch"
This literary pun is far less amusing when typing it, but it's Friday and that's just where I'm at. 

I just had to Google that word...

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

What distinguished point in his life would this be the beginning of?  Are we witnessing some kind of re-birth?  A falcon rising from the ashes?  Or is this a distinguishing moment for the e90 at which point it will continue from here in fame or infamy!

This is all too much for my brain to handle on a Friday...

• 4 weeks later...
As I continue to work on my BMWs, I find myself constantly adding things to the garage to optimize my work space. Since buying the house four years ago, I transformed the 750 sq/ft garage into my ultimate hangout space. In my mind, the only thing missing was a lift. Until I found out about the MaxJax lift system. I have no affiliation with MaxJax, but everything about this lift as been great so far and I want to share my experience.

48034665318_237f5bb2b5_c.jpg

I had a tough time finding a 2-post lift that would fit in my garage with 8 ft. 7 in. (105″) garage ceilings. All of the 2-post options I found had a minimum column height of 9 ft. or 10 ft., which wouldn’t fit without modifying the ceiling. I didn’t want a scissor lift or a 4-post lift. Then I found the the MaxJax, which has short, portable columns.

In its highest position, the hydraulic cylinders rise up to 89″ with a lift height of 45″ (or 48″ with 3″ adapters)! This allows plenty of clearance between the columns and the ceiling, while offering 4 ft. of working space under the car. The only limitation is the height of whatever vehicle goes on the lift.

48062171172_abcdb4c126_c.jpg

Standard MaxJax Features
  • Low ceiling height friendly
  • Regular 110v electrical plug (no 220v required)
  • 6,000 lb. lifting capacity
  • Semi-portable lift columns
  • Adjustable base-plate width
  • 4″ minimum concrete required

48034733227_2782d1662f_c.jpg

Installation Guide & Video

The included installation guide is pretty comprehensive, but I made an in-depth video showing you how to install the lift in your home garage. I also demonstrate how to route the hoses off the ground to keep the mobile power cart out of the way.

4″ of good concrete is required to install this lift. I used the standard anchors that are included with the kit, but some people prefer the epoxy anchors instead. I mounted the columns 125″ apart from each other, measured from the inside edge. This width has allowed me to lift multiple vehicles with various jacking points.

48034732772_f1d3cbfec9_c.jpg

48034665538_b26fd6d20c_c.jpg

This adjustable creeper is perfect for working under the MaxJax, since it doesn’t lift high enough for you to stand under it. This short oil drain tank comes in very handy when changing oil or other fluids. I’ve used these short tripod stands when doing suspension work or to help support the car. It is the perfect lift for the at-home DIYer.

48056957547_54c05d0bbf_c.jpg

I also have a more detailed write-up on my blog that explains the most efficient installation process, with links to all of the tools and accessories that you'll need. Read it here: https://my1series.com/2019/06/13/how-to-install-maxjax-lift-in-home-garage-review-mods/

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

38 minutes ago, B C said:

Great garage, Jake! how friendly is that lift for very low cars? looks like driving onto boards may still be required for some

The minimum pad height is 3.5", so as long as it's that or higher, you should be fine. Fits under my lowered 135i, but I can see needing to jack it up or driving on some boards for very low cars.

For comparison, the Atlas lift I had at the shop would not go under my 135i. Very close, but needed to jack the car up first. I'm so glad it fits under the MaxJax arms without an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I made it to the drag strip the other day and want to share the results! I am now one of four manual N54-powered vehicles in the 10s... in the world!

2560 DA
Log: https://datazap.me/u/suspenceful/1090-1369-mph?log=0&data=1-4

Adjustments I made to the car:

48134175957_2d75ae400c_b.jpg

Dragy results from the same pass:

48138258806_980a009f79_b.jpg

48134132186_08b429875c_b.jpg

48138434266_2af8429680_b.jpg

1 hour ago, B C said:

Only one in the 10's still on stock diff?

Cool to see how accurate Dragy is.  Before smartphones were a thing I nearly bought a G-tech, there is no point now with how good phone apps are

You just made me look it up... yes, only manual in the 10's with stock diff. The other three guys all have an LSD, some with upgraded axles as well.

1 hour ago, Rekpoint said:

The picture 2nd from bottom looks like its from Forza or some video game. I dig it LOL

Yeah, Mike Heffner is his name. Super cool guy, glad he shared some pics he took with me.

48134131841_f3a59955b5_c.jpg

48134166403_ae4d713b7a_c.jpg

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I had always questioned the accuracy of it, but the dragy app compared to the time slip really proves how accurate it is. 
Impressive stuff for sure!

Yeah, it's really an awesome device. Tracks many more things in addition to the 1/4 mile as well!

13 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Nice job!  That's pretty impressive man.  Kudos to you.

Thanks Pat!

13 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

Congrats, very impressive! Any future plans to get that 60' down?

Eventually I'll get an LSD, some bias-ply slicks, etc. More practice will help too.

11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Congrats!

Thanks!