WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

So I was looking at my front control arms and I tore the boots on my ball-joints when I removed my knuckles.

Does anyone have any suggestions for brand / company to get new control arms?

Or should I get new boots?

Or should I just press in new ball-joints?

Also could I upgrade to something newer/ lighter from an E36 or E46??

781542461_8DtDR-M.jpg

Is there anywhere that has has listed what the A and B dimensions actually are?  Here is the source of that pic but they don't actually list the dimensions.  They do have notes from test fitting the different arms to an e30 though.

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects/E30-V8/9984510_6HwM6c#!i=764524152&k=QKjHtRg

That's helpful, thanks. It looks like you would need M3 arms for a 5lug swap depending on how you go about it. I would hate to buy arms that are NOT E30 and have them totally throw my caster angle off.

Control arms aren't something you should go cheap on. Especially since your car is slammed and it puts more stress on your ball joints. It would suck to have one let go driving and damage your car/hurt somebody!

I agree with you 100%. 

Aren't the e30 ball joints replaceable?  I am replacing the ones on my 36, which the inner ones are not supposed to be replaceable, but if I buy replacements for an e30 they are a direct fit.

I was thinking I might just get new ball-joints and press them in, seems like the safest route.  The BMW castings are the best for these control arms from what I have read, and that leaves me the option to use any ball joints I want.

I was thinking I might just get new ball-joints and press them in, seems like the safest route.  The BMW castings are the best for these control arms from what I have read, and that leaves me the option to use any ball joints I want.

Once it is off of the car any mechanic shop with a hydraulic press can pop the joints out and new ones in for a few bucks.  Saves a lot of messing around.  The right tool makes it a 5 minute job.

Once it is off of the car any mechanic shop with a hydraulic press can pop the joints out and new ones in for a few bucks.  Saves a lot of messing around.  The right tool makes it a 5 minute job.

I have a press at work, I guess I am lazy if I could just buy a whole new part.

• Jdesign changed the title to 1JZ E30 Vert Build Thread with Pastry filled wheels