WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

18 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for the Z4 rack?

From what I have read, its the same as a Z3 rack ratio wise, but also adds a bit of angle if you have the room for it. 

• per. turn------BMW Part #
  • - E30--------------36.5 mm--------32 13 1 092 335
  • - E30 M3-----------38 mm---------32 13 2 225 556
  • - E36 M3 '95--------41 mm--------32 13 2 227 191 *NEW 08.15.11 Pink
  • - E36---------------45.5 mm-------32 13 1 096 280
  • - E36 M3 96+-------45.5 mm------32 13 1 096 280
  • - E36 Z3 M---------45.5 mm-------32 13 1 096 280
  • - E46 (9/99-4/01)--46 mm---------32 13 6 753 438 *NEW 08.15.11 Pink
  • - E46 (4/01-9/01)--50 mm---------32 13 6 755 065
  • - E85 Z4 M---------51 mm---------32 13 7 836 844
  • - E85 Z4 non-M---------52 mm---------32 11 6 777 506
  • - E36 Z3 non-M-----53.5 mm-------32 13 1 095 575

On top of that, I am using a 1JZ PS pump with a E36M3 rack and I keep having issues with leaks. (I think the pump is over powering the rack) Other threads have mentioned that the steering response is amazing and very direct, and its gearing isnt bad for street driving. I have had quite a few cars without PS and it was never an issue and I really liked it. I have a few options, but in addition to all of those, this adds simplicity to the car, and eliminates more items in the engine bay, which to me is my overall goal: Delete everything besides the motor for a very aesthetically clean engine bay.

16 hours ago, Daggerty said:

The exhaust side is what is usually in need of balancing the compressor wheel is light and is usually spot on. You can always use the sharpie method. 

The above video is how I did mine.

Call me stupid, but I didn't see anywhere in that video of him balancing the Turbo shaft, so im not entirely 100% on how that works. Its only $400 including parts to have it rebuild and balanced using a specific "TURBO BALANCING MACHINE". If this was a car I didn't plan on getting buried in when im 85 years old, I would probably use magnets and shelving brackets as the gentleman and yourself did. ;)  

Related image

So crazy enough, but a turbocharger compressor is usually balanced to a G2.5, which is pretty snug, but at work we were having balancing issues on rolls and threw a G1 on a roll. No surprise that they couldn't get it there, but it turns out we were having more issues with the roll material than the balancing itself. 
Now I'm the boring one!

• 1 month later...

Have not really touched this car in awhile, I have been just really fed up with chasing the mystery boost gremlin using stock management. So to regain motivation, I just bought ECUMasters standalone EMU Black, a new lead harness for the entire engine, bluetooth adapter, and mounting bracket for the ecu. This should provide me everything I need, and I can stop messing with trying to fool the OEM management (which wasnt working).

Related image

2 hours ago, snap said:

Is that a popular system for Toyota applications? Looks fun!  

Not common it the states yet, but its HUGE in the down under. For the money, and features, its the best management system I have seen, but I have no personal experience with it. I have read nothing but positives and they have a huge background of support for trouble shooting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Earl swung by this weekend and convinced me to mock up my Rieger "REP" front lip. I bought a rep because its not fiberglass so I dont have to worry about it and its half the cost(shame on me). I have new OEM lip clips and need to dremel the holes in the new lip for it to snap into place. I am doing this today and sending it to paint.

IMG_7137.JPGIMG_7138.JPG

Thanks guys, that really means a lot. I honestly never thought this car would be what it is today. Funny to think back when I had the cash to buy this car, I was actually looking for miatas more than anything else.

@Earl I plan on getting a rear valance or apron at some point, but it has to be small. I think most of the aftermarket ones look chunky and dis-proportioned on the verts. 

too big IMO:

ACS KOPI

Image result for e30 rear valance convertible

Racing Dynamics

Image result for e30 rear valance convertible

There are very few that I find fit really well that I like. I personally think I might take an E36 rear bumper, and chop it to bits making a slim yet factory looking piece.

Rear idea1.jpg

• Jdesign changed the title to 1JZ E30 Vert Build Thread with Pastry filled wheels