WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Well we plan on buying a new printer at my work that can do some really impressive stuff. It can 3D print 18 types of materials at once and has a color spectrum range that is in the thousands. Luckily I found the perfect excuse to test it out. 

I plan on making a new set of gauge faces for my cluster. Since I just got a new Si board and fixed a bunch of small odds and ends in my interior, I figured this is the perfect opportunity to update the old tach, speedo, fuel, and temp faces. 

I started by measuring, tracing and finding reference images to base my design from.

gauge+face2239_1_lgd.jpg

11952d1180652374-blue-custom-gauge-clust

2012-01-05113735.jpg

aplina_1.jpg

Then I started to take mine apart, clean it, and remove the old faces and needles. You must make sure you mark the positions of all the needle past the posts that hold them at zero...

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

I created a template and measured the increments and used scanned in images of my exsisting faces for make sure my new faces would be accurate...

20140826160828179_0001.jpg

I then started designing.....

IMG_3427.JPG

When I felt like I was getting close to something I liked, I printed out a few test transparencies and paper versions to mount and see how it looked....

IMG_3464.JPG

IMG_3471.JPG

Getting closer but not 100%. The sad Part is I jumped the gun and the printer hasn't even arrived yet. So for now, I will have to wait to proceed any further. I also plan on updating all the interior lights from the old red to a white or green hue. So I guess I will tackle that while I wait. 

IMG_0467.JPG

(Also note the hub adapter I machined at the bottom of the last image)

Woah sweet build!  My auto top isn't working - kinda hate it - just using manual for now.  What happened to this Borbet type B's!

I don't understand why everyone complains about the power tops. Mine works great and was easy to fix when something went wrong with it. Do you know whats wrong with yours? I sold the Borbets, cleaning them sucked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I spent my whole day today, learning and experimenting with our new printer. I think I finally got it dialed in and can start making gauge faces. This is this is the latest print I created, which has solid and transparent parts, with a clear gloss varnish pattern on top. I hope to have a complete Set of gauge faces tomorrow.

IMG_0294.JPG

So what exactly is the printer you are using?

Its a Roland VersaUV Printer. It can print on almost anything and is the next closest thing to permanent. We are the first consultancy world wide to have one that is not in a full scale production facility. It prints on metal, plastic, glass etc. It can also do curved surfaces. If you or anyone on here is interested in some custom parts printed(ex: gauges, shift knobs, etc) let me know. 

Awesome=)

Wow! Turned out really nice!

Very very cool! Looking forward to pictures of them installed

Awesome!

Thanks guys!!! I am really excited to see what it looks like lit up too. I am still trying to figure out lighting though. I might have to make some SLA parts to replace the orange/red plastic that light pipes the OEM red glow light around the faces, because I would prefer white.

• Jdesign changed the title to 1JZ E30 Vert Build Thread with Pastry filled wheels