WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

So I looked over the balljoints again and they are just fine, I only tore the boots removing them. I decided I will just replace the boots and re-grease the joints. Would anyone happen to know what the dimensions of the boots? I was looking into getting something more durable like urethane. I had Energy suspension boots on my civic and they were awesome, I just don't know what size to order. here is a picture for reference:

ES913136_black_lg.png

just get new ball joints they may seem fine now but they're out already so why not??? They're gonna go bad eventually...

Because of the stress it will put on the arms of pushing the ball-joints in and out. Normally that's why its suggested you replace the whole arm. I have factory arms now, I figure I wont be able to find castings as nice unless I get OEM. So why replace them if they don't need it yet. I have always had the mentality of don't replace it unless it's broken or is an upgrade.

Also consider the cost.

$400 on arms that dont need to be replaced < $20 maximum on new boots

So I contacted energy suspension yesterday and provided me with this awesome link:

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/Universal-Dust-Boots.asp

If you ever want to upgrade your shitty rotted out boots, or happen to tear one like a dumbass( me) this site has all the dimensions of the boots they carry. I found the ones I need, which also fit a 67 ford mustang "Merica." I called the local Oriely's auto parts store and they had them shipped next day for less than what they were listed for on Energy's site. I should be picking them up tonight and finally seeing how retarded low my car will sit. I can already tell I will be able to bury my wheels so far into my car it will look like a hovercraft (perfect). Now its time to start collecting oil pans....  

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the coils last night and finally got my car back on the ground. I am really happy with the amount of adjustability. Now I cant wait to actually drive it! I got the steering rack put back in and did a basic string mount alignment. I have an appointment at my buddies work to get it aligned and swap out those terrible rear tires! I hope I can get it a lot lower in the rear after making the adjustments, I know I have about an inch to go in the front. Here is how it sits now

IMG_1930.JPGIMG_1933_1.jpg

This was a little concerning seeing how close the boot was to the actual strut housing in the rear. Its about 2mm away. I checked compression rate and it seems it will be fine with suspension movement. 

IMG_1936.JPGIMG_1935.JPG

So, annoying as hell.

My front drivers side coilover hits the barrel of my front wheel. Only underload (turning left) or when I am reversing? Really odd. After staring at it for hours and taking it apart more than 10 times, have come to realize that flex is the culprit. All the way around the coils are really close to my wheels but this sucks. Guess time to order new adapters. Has anyone else ever had this problem before?

I also noticed that when I had it on the rack, I could not get as much camber from the drivers side wheel as I could from the passenger side. I know that some cars have different geometry from left to right, is that true with E30's? 

Either way I still drove it as the rubbing caused no damage and only occurs when turning left(Good thing I'm not in the Daytona 500). I am really please with the comfort of the BC coils. You would never guess that they are 10-12k rates. Now I just need to weld in the camber tabs in the rear and buy new adapters.

I also removed the majority of the plastidip from my wheels. Never again, unless I have Rotiform Nue's will I plastidip a set of wheels. Does anyone know of a way to remove that stuff without ruining the surface below? I know there is a thing called "dipdissolver" but does it really work?

IMG_1968.JPGIMG_1970.JPG

Acouple things: Something isn't right if you're getting flex/ movement between the coil and wheel when loaded. (They should always stay in the same orientation to one another). Possibly a bad wheel bearing flexing under load?

Do the BC's have upper camber plates? I wouldnt be worried if the camber plates were "off" slightly side-to-side on this age of car.

Why get an alignment if your gonna add in the weld-in camber adjustments? (Or is that weeks/months in the future)?

Acouple things: Something isn't right if you're getting flex/ movement between the coil and wheel when loaded. (They should always stay in the same orientation to one another). Possibly a bad wheel bearing flexing under load?

Do the BC's have upper camber plates? I wouldnt be worried if the camber plates were "off" slightly side-to-side on this age of car.

Why get an alignment if your gonna add in the weld-in camber adjustments? (Or is that weeks/months in the future)?

Awesome questions. 

Yes, my first assumption was that I have a bad wheel bearing. I checked it numerous times before and after install and it seems very,very sturdy, no noise and no play whatsoever. I will most likely be replacing it though. I want to rule out all possibilities of the cause, which really sucks because I want to drive my damn car!!

The BC's do have camber plates, I am not worried, just thought it was odd. Especially considering it is a vert and it has all that extra bracing around the strut towers. The only other issue I could think of that would cause my rubbing issue is that the pillow ball mount could be messed up some how. I know that I can unbolt my coil from the camber plate and flip it 90 degrees.But I haven't thought of trying that until just now, when I typed it............ <_<  :rolleyes:

I got an alignment at my friends work, cost me next to nothing and I figured new tires and some other adjustments were needed. (I just installed a new steering rack). It will be a few weeks/ months until I can get the rear camber kit ordered and installed, so we didn't even touch the rear. just inspected it when it was on the lift to make sure everything was still in good shape. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well I haven't updated this in a while so I figured I would update. It was awesome to drive yesterday with the top down (Wisconsin sucks) and get some miles on the car. Everything seems to be in order and working great now. I just ordered new rear tires(again) and new HIDs. If anyone wants a great deal on higher quality HIDs for there car I suggest DDm Tuning. http://www.ddmtuning.com/

My shopmate has had these in his S6 avant for over a year now without issue and they have a lifetime warranty. The Hids in my car now are garbage, huge mismatched ballasts and mismatched bulbs. Not sure who or what was going on in the installers head but I need to fix it. One side is really bright and continues to try to reignite while driving and the other is dim as shit lol. I will post pics once they arrive and are installed.

Pfft. if you want bright headlights, S2000 housings with Morimoto HID kit. So much better quality....

wut?

Anyways I finally put new tires on the back of my car so I could achieve more low. But the rain is preventing pictures. I also tore a fuel line open somehow on the way to work this morning. Keeping me busy I guess. I will post pics tomorrow of moar lows and new HIDS!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Jdesign changed the title to 1JZ E30 Vert Build Thread with Pastry filled wheels