WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1978 e21 m20 turbo swap, AKA What did I get myself into

bfinley

• 2 weeks later...

8y2ure7a.jpgyjasega6.jpgu6ydete2.jpge8aqu5ym.jpg

The Kamotors e30 fender flares showed up so I quick mocked them up.

They will need some trimming to fit.

Shot the first layer of matte clear on the trunk and fenders last night along with a rubberized underliner on the rockers.

Wet sanding the shell starts tonight and then first round of OD green !

What are your thoughts for wiring?  Mike said the wiring was a disaster, possibly caused by him lol.  I wonder about using a small aftermarket fusebox to do the remaining body wiring.  I imagine it will be very minimal or what are your thoughts?

I haven't done much research yet, bug I've been thinking about it. All I will need to control is headlights, tail lights/turn signals, and whatever power my custom gauges need. Which for the time being will be a tach and a garmin gps ...

I know an electrician that could wire it up for you...  What is your timeline for wiring?  Have you checked out gauges from innovate?  They have some combo gauges, oil temp/pres, water temp/batt voltage, and some nice widebands.  For a pretty decent price too.  I will be using these in my e36 when it is coming back together.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Things are starting to line up. Single mass flywheel ordered, an 885 head had been dibsed. lots of work planned for this weekend. The fuel tank is on it's way out as is the front subframe. I'll get that cleaned up and work on fabricating motor mounts. Once the fuel system is stripped I can finish patching the floors as well. Now I just need a clutch.

Lol @ dibsed

Any ideas on what clutch you want to use?

Yeah, gotta love monthly salary when you're buying parts.

Clutch I'm debating between a clutch master fx100 or an Sachs OE replacement for now...

I really just want to get the car running

Many thanks to

Mike, John, and one of my student staff, Charles, who came out and ripped the fuel tank, and body harness out, and got the brakes unfrozen. Ended up being about 12 gallons of fuel in the tank... Opps

9c77f18f6ee8b3bdef7831934cd1ea6a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It was a busy weekend in lake woebegone , my home town. Bought a chain saw, threw a birthday party, killed a keg of spotted cow, got a chord of firewood delivered, picked up my new 885 head from Andy, got a set of wheels for a friends vw and tomorrow I'll be picking up an e28 shell for my students car club track project. No rest for the wicked 09fa781548acd93ca85e14e4d379a18f.jpg449705e0f839dcaa7e951bb3af72a63f.jpg06bb933bd249b37a339bc933b900c12a.jpg

tomorrow I'll be picking up an e28 shell for my students car club track project.

Literally just made my night! Didn't know it was going for a cause, but abosluelty love it.

Glad to hear it! I originally wanted to keep it for myself but very quickly realized that I have no room or time for another project right and the current club leadership wants to branch out from drag racing to get even more hands on building and seat time.

My job now is to keep them from doing what they know and stuffing a 350 Chevy under the hood.