WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Supercharger or turbo

Guest PerryLa79

I think you need to know what your budget is first and foremost and what are your power goals.  

If it was an unlimited budget I would always go turbo just for the general ease to increase boost and make power as well as the overall efficiency of a turbo compared to supercharger.  

For ease of install and a smaller budget with moderate gains I would do a supercharger.  Easy to maintain, low entry price but you can't just turn the boost up to see more gains.  Yes you can install different pulleys but every supercharger is going to have limits.

It is not as efficient as one mounted closer to the engine with higher pressure + higher velocity exhaust gas, but the advantages I see are not having to buy an exhaust manifold or intercooler (you can say the same thing for a supercharger) and not having to deal with hacking things up in the engine bay to get it to fit. The OE mufflers are quite large so removing that gives a decent amount of space to work with.

Its not the best way to turbo, but like i said, If you have some money to burn on a car that you will eventually return to stock and sell, then a remote turbo system would be very easily reversible.