WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Dissapointment

jc43089

Just bought another K&N oil filter for my maxima, and it said made in Korea on it.  Double checked the old one and just what I thought, made in USA.  Why does everything have to be outsourced??  I called the phone number and kindly let them know I will not be buying any more of their products for this reason.  I just want to have the choice to buy something made here, even if it costs a little more!!

Where things are made can be an interesting question. The Maxima has been assembled in the US since 2004 and is classified as "domestic" since it meets the 75% domestic content rule. Ok, but under NAFTA this includes parts made in the US, Canada, and Mexico. But under the American Automobile Labeling Act (basis for the NHTSA figures) domestic content figures include US and Canada. The annual Cars.com content %s focus only on US. So the scale you choose matters. Maxima's engine is "made" in the US, and transmission is "made" in Mexico (which means that each of these parts is assembled in the location, and again is comprised of parts that meet the "domestic" content threshold of 75%??). In a global production world things get complicated.

Where things are made can be an interesting question. The Maxima has been assembled in the US since 2004 and is classified as "domestic" since it meets the 75% domestic content rule. Ok, but under NAFTA this includes parts made in the US, Canada, and Mexico. But under the American Automobile Labeling Act (basis for the NHTSA figures) domestic content figures include US and Canada. The annual Cars.com content %s focus only on US. So the scale you choose matters. Maxima's engine is "made" in the US, and transmission is "made" in Mexico (which means that each of these parts is assembled in the location, and again is comprised of parts that meet the "domestic" content threshold of 75%??). In a global production world things get complicated.

This is very true, mine is a 99 so it was made in Japan.  The real issue I had was that in the last 6 months the filter switched from US to Korea.  Presumably to save money but the price is still the same at the store.  From a little google searching it appears that they recently switched suppliers.  I will be buying Napa Gold (Wix) filters now, I will have to double check but I think those are still made here.  Also may check the Mobil one filters as they were the same filters as the K&N, minus the nut on the end.

Are there any suitable replacements for K&N though? I was gonna get one of their filters for my truck since that's what most guys use and I know they make oem replacements for just about everything. Totally not supporting the outsourcing, just wondering if I have a choice or not.

http://www.sbfilters.com/index.php/we-actually-make-it/

S&B appears to make a decent product. I shopped their site quite a bit but ended up going with an ITG (made in England,  shoot me).

I also emailed them to let them know I do not support the outsourcing and someone replied and said that the air filters are still US made.

Just bought another K&N oil filter for my maxima, and it said made in Korea on it.  Double checked the old one and just what I thought, made in USA.  Why does everything have to be outsourced??  I called the phone number and kindly let them know I will not be buying any more of their products for this reason.  I just want to have the choice to buy something made here, even if it costs a little more!!

Everything is getting outsourced because Americans don't want to work for the wages offered to create "made in America" products, and it's so much cheaper to offshore.  A shame, isn't it...

On the filter front, I've been using (and had great luck with) Purolator Pure 1 oil filters for years.