WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Question about the e46

xXxGOODKILLAxXx

I have an 2000 328i e46 and by far the best car I've owned to date I like mine over the 330 due to the engine has been around forever and I love the look of a pre face lifted e46

The engines are pretty much the same, your engine is the m52b28tu compared to the m52b28 that was in the e36 328's.  Yours is aluminum block and dual vanos.  The heads/ blocks are not interchangeable with m50/52.  Not saying thats a bad thing, just the m52tu is interchangeable to the m54 but you still have a cable throttle  vs drive by wire that the m54's have.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply's, so the major thing I guess I should be looking for is if the rear sub-frame has cracks or not. Anyone here have that issue yet if so did you have it repaired and what did it cost? 

Here is a thread I started about my M3 subframe issues.  The worst I've ever seen.  http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=378512

Guest Laishes

E46s have vanos issues; rear subframe issues. Sometimes harmonic balancing issues (aluminum block right?) and the cooling system (just like with an e39) will need to be gone through. If you want a used e46 to be reliable I would fix all the issues listed above.

Anddd that'll usually run your wallet outve money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my 2001 330i for a bit over a year now. Bought from a repair place in Marion that didn't do the best of work. Only things I've had to do so far have been pump leak on washer fluid resevoir, lower hose coolant temp sensor, thermostat and front control arms. The torque of engine is great- an all around fun car.