WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

First venture into the world of BMW's, lots of E30 questions:

ClassE

Car drives pretty well over all tho! I noticed one of the rear sway bar ends was not connected, and it's got a slight "wobble" from right front.... But could just be crappy tires or such.

Car started it idle at about 2k after alite driving.... Any suggestions on a culprit? I didn't see anything I recognized as an ISV, anything I should check?

Going to recheck for vac leaks and clean TB and MAF tonight.... Any other suggestions would be great.

First gas stop:

E7C16907-C794-4407-A818-FBEA9174DAC7-989

So hobbyist plates or regular plates? Thoughts?!?

Hobbyist plates Pros: I never have to re-register the hobbyist plates, I think it'll also give me more "lienancy" from police as it's technically labelled a "street modified" vehicle. (Well.... I shouldn't get any more "fix it" tickets... I'll just get warnings or actual tickets).

Hobbyist Cons: Double the initial registration fee cost, plates are friggen green/yellow.

Standard Plate Pros: inconspicuous and I already have a set.

Standard plate Cons: Need to register every year.

I kinda want to do the hobbyist so I never have to register the plates again. Thoughts?

If you haven't read into hobbyist plates lately, they have changed the fees, application process, and regulations in the past year or two. You also need to send in multiple pictures of the car showing how it's modified for approval of the plates. I don't really see the need for them on this car and you're right, they are very ugly!

What are the rules about the blue collector plates?  I think it is the same cost as hobbyist.  Much less ugly in my opinion.  I think both types of registration do not allow you to drive during January which I assume shouldn't be an issue for you.  I may try to register for the blue collector plates next year on my e36.  I wouldn't want the green plates though.

I don't need them yet..... But I will shortly. ;)

Been reading up - seems hobbyist is the way to go.... But they say you cannot drive the car until you receive the plates from the DMV (which can take 4 weeks). I think I'll just transfer my other plates for now, and do the hobbyist next summer so I can drive the car for a bit yet before the snow falls.

Paint shop is saying car could be done as early as this Friday, next Monday/Tuesday at the latest!!! Looking forward to getting some driving in before snow, coils should be here by the end of this month.... Then comes a long winter of "tear apart - rebuild".

99% go on BC's (just awaiting a friends distribution info to go through to process order).

Getting SUPER anxious to get the car back. Paint work is running $1800, but that's rep staying entire passenger side, front, and good.... So exterior should be looking great when I get it back!

Pics to come as soon as it's out of paint!