WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'88 E30

KaiserRolls

So haven't done anything to the car, as the Miata is still priority. But I finally hung up some lights. Already have the 2 LED bulbs in the normal sockets-but they're in non helpful spots.

Went to menards. Spent $10 per fixture thing. Bought some 6500K LED bulbs for like $8 and hung them. For under $50 I can now see what I'm ruining in the garage! 72e16f401a229f9758049eb0391966c5.jpg

Also put it on jackstands again, hooray

Let there be light! I added lights to my work benches in my shop about 6 months ago, I dont know why I waited 5 years to do it, but it made a world of difference. Looks great, I am also impressed that you hired someone to stare deeply into the casting of the miata engine to search for extra horsepowers!

• 1 month later...

Updates-ish

Car still remains a pile of parts

Miata motor is hopefully going back in the car this week

Haven't fixed my axles, haven't reinstalled power steering, haven't installed my seats

Just been Miata stuff lately, please send help

Ben came over last weekend. We pulled the head0dc90e5f12e805d83792072856077912.jpg

I will be taking it to a shop in MN most likely. Then I will probably be ordering ARPs and a cutring headgasket because why not

What's getting done to the head?

It was pulled because it was seeping coolant externally when I would shut the car off hot. Tiny amounts, but enough to piss me off 69413252a7953137ded59788b963d8ee.jpg8da63e01d1952d96d38290b9036086f5.jpg

Also because I wanted to replace the HG, figured it's best practice to have the head gone through. Then I will have no concerns about running this motor for another xx,xxx amount of miles

• 2 weeks later...

Nope.

Parts were supposed to show up Wednesday, but brooke and I ran to mke so she could pick up another Miata.

I can't get away from these god damn cars.

She keeps buying vehicles I can't fit in.

ee15942f5987cfddd9e34c6738477e59.jpg

It's a 2004 MSM with a bit of work done. Runs about 10/11/12 psi on a tiny turbo.

Good news parts showed up today! But brooke ran to the bank at the same time so I get to wait till tomorrow delivery. 3rd times a charm I guess

I hate miatas

Missed the package twice. Went to FedEx and scooped it up.

30a50917acb9f7c8c67bebb595bf0695.jpg

3fb2d1ab12c93dc4a8f6ee580e1ee73e.jpg

7ad8460ef91aab99e205e1d6df2055f9.jpg

b2716dcbc22d8751287cbcb4529d8ba9.jpg

RMS hardware, vortech v1 (loud straight cut gear style) some 30lb injectors, nick g tune, etc

All said and done it should be good for 300whp/240ftlbs (crank 365hp/295tq) -ish

Head will go to headwerks in MN once they open back up sometime in march

I didn't go turbo because:

Going through the turbo build with Brooke's car is proving to be way more money than I'd want to dump into a 30 year old car

Tuning things annoys me to the depths of my very being

I get to keep my delicious sounding exhaust

Car keeps it's "NA style" power delivery (good for autox)

6/7lbs should be very reliable (not that I drive the car much anyways) with headstuds and possibly a cutring HG - might be overkill, but I don't want to replace a HG ever again (paging Ben)

I don't have to buy a new clutch (already did that last year)

Should literally be bolt it up and go (expecting some slight modifications for radiator and other "lack of room" issues)

I was on the fence about a VF kit, but through research it didn't really seem that they easily supported expanding (i.e. Stage 2/3/4 bro) with the RMS hardware, I should be able to more easily run a smaller pulley/upgrade injectors (It also popped up at a relatively decent price) but then I'm back into the "I need a new tune" boat.

I'm going to get all this crap cleaned up and will likely replace all the rubber hoses/vac lines

Will also need to extend the MAF wiring *maybe*

So for now, this should do

13 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

Going through the turbo build with Brooke's car is proving to be way more money than I'd want to dump into a 30 year old car

Why ya gotta remind me?! 

I'm excited for this, as your power goals are what I feel like is a perfect amount for an e30! 

Forced induction on all the things!

Edit: Just re-read your power goals, you are assuming a very large drivetrain loss! ~20% 

approved. Boost is always the answer. Linear, track-friendly boost is the better answer.

....unless you have an S65 like me in which case boost is insulting. 4.6L stroke when my motor grenades!!

Is the new miata intended to replace the current one, because it's already turbo'd? Or does Brooke need a spare turbo yata around for when you blow up the tune on the winter project?   :lol:

Why ya gotta remind me?! 

I'm excited for this, as your power goals are what I feel like is a perfect amount for an e30! 

Forced induction on all the things!

Edit: Just re-read your power goals, you are assuming a very large drivetrain loss! ~20% 

Plan for the worst hope for the best?

Under commit over deliver?