WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'88 E30

KaiserRolls

Well, pretty much got everything back together last night. Coilovers in, stud conversion, front brake caliper/rotor etc etc.

had to fill up the reservoir about 3/4 times before we even started to bleed

Starting at the passenger rear I had Brooke pump the brakes. This is when i noticed fluid seeping from the bleeder screw, I quickly just reached for it with my hand &and turned (thinking it was just loose from shipment). Turns out I could over tighten it by hand and the threads are cooked in the casting themselves. It must've been put together cross threaded so it felt snug when they sent it, but was all dicked when I tried to actually use it

I sent blunt an email about it last night so we wil see what he has to say

I cannot tell you how frustrating it is being almost done and wanting to finish on your 3 day weekend but you can't because "new" parts (remanufactured) aren't up to par.

Silver lining is that it happened to the first caliper, so it's not like I had the entire system bled or anything

e5147cb740bb2617e7ebdde2f4a94b82.jpg8aa38c06986986e2682fe7321d0e610c.jpgab43abc9758b956e0ec625b1f85158ae.jpg

That sucks to hear about the caliper, I thought the WBR's I received from Blunt were pretty good quality. I'm sure he'll get it sorted for you though. I'd definitely paint the calipers if you want them to keep looking nice as they are just raw metal, I didn't have time to do mine and now they are completely covered in surface rust. 

That sucks to hear about the caliper, I thought the WBR's I received from Blunt were pretty good quality. I'm sure he'll get it sorted for you though. I'd definitely paint the calipers if you want them to keep looking nice as they are just raw metal, I didn't have time to do mine and now they are completely covered in surface rust. 

I emailed him immediately last night.

Just so I can get this thing going I ordered one this morning and it's getting here at 12:30

I just want this stuff to be done at this point.

Unfortunately I didnt paint them because I was lazy about it. I thought they were media blasted then painted in something already..?

44 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Unfortunately I didnt paint them because I was lazy about it. I thought they were media blasted then painted in something already..?

That's what I thought too, the finish looked really nice but I'm like 99% sure they were just raw steel with an oil coating. Once the oil washed off mine rusted in about two or three weeks, but keep in mind this was the middle of winter with super salty roads and driving like 40+ miles a day so yours may go way longer before showing anything. I was planning on giving mine a coat of paint this summer if I ever get around to it. 

Picked up the caliper. Thought about painting them all, then decided not to because I am a lame person and just want to drive this stupid thing. If/when they start to rust and look shitty I will remove them, think about painting, then probably just upgrade the brakes anyways.

The caliper still leaked out of the threads where the line gets attached, hooray. Found that out while bleeding. Removed the line from the caliper, cleaned crap as best as I could, reinserted and tightened it back up, no leaks during bleeding process or when brakes were being stomped to check for hissing/crap like that.

My buddy came over, we had some beers. Then decided to finish the car. It's 4:31AM and I'm tired but it's back on all fours

c94fbd9591c336de58a5b5030e94bb2c.jpg6a81ce224a5d85b0956805d1c32e970b.jpg

Still need to get the endlinks on and mess with front ride height/preload. The rears are basically where I want them, they will settle a tad yet. The front is a touch high yet. Still haven't touched the camber plates either.

Goodnight/good morning (?)

Adjusted the ride height again today, slapped in the endlinks, moved some brake lines to betterish spots and yeah...just have to install the exhaust tomorrow as well as the strut bar. Fired it up today, I left the battery disconnected in the car since October outside in the garage, car still immediately popped off. Open headers sounds terrible, even for the 15 seconds it was running.

I pretty much rechecked every bolt I had removed for proper torque. I really hope everything goes smoothly on the test drive tomorrow...

pic of ride height, compare with above photo. I may need to bring the fronts up a touch8f3123b81e0b6fae870c534a36273b6e.jpg

Endlinks from AKG

63e26f086c98d2dfd47e18dd137ab334.jpg

Rearsddc8dae29bd3f985c3ea512a2af0b845.jpg

Dont you go around increasing the market value of e34 oil pans now, ya hear?

Trust me I'm not going for "the lows" I'm still learning how adjusting the coilover changes the ride height (how much movement on the threads change it) it's also on 15s so it seems like it's nose diving. And I also have a monster skidplate that hopefully helps protect the hard to find e34 pan

Did you grease them? What kind are they? I have poly rtabs on my e36 and they squeak.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

They are solid delrin

No grease on them besides some Antiseize from the bolts.

I'm okay with the noise, I'd just like to know where it's coming From.

The poly bushings in the subframe I robbed some grease from the sway bar poly bushings (came with a few packets) Could it be the sways with adjustable endlinks? Only happens when car is traversing uneven surfaces or hitting decent bumps in the road. I can try and mount my GoPro up there and see what I can hear

Mixed emotions today...

Got the car aligned at a local place I was recommended to. Went with snapholes' suggestion of -2.5 camber in the front and 0 toe. It was going great (was literally in the place with the dude) until he turned the wheels full lock to lock and the alignment tool on the wheels dented my fenders. I was standing on the left side of the car, so he turned the wheel hard left at first, so I couldn't see what was happening to the right fender. As he turned the wheels back I noticed his alignment device was getting close to the fender and told him to stop after the knob contacted my fender. The drivers side is not as bad as the passenger side (I caught the DS as it happened) it can be massaged flat. The passenger side (my only actually really decent fender) has a nice dent and the fucking paint cracked

7c2dcc511a354e39dbfbf0d9cfd74ea9.jpg5cbca4f6758a0d4bada99bae66ca584e.jpg

Granted it's a ~30 year old car and has its fair share of Knicks and bumps. But that's not the point. Point is I've basically done everything myself and this is the one, the basically LAST thing I let someone else do and my fender gets toasted. Sad day.

At the time it happened the guy looked very upset and we weren't close to being done yet. I told him not to worry about it and to just keep doing it.

I paid and was on my way

I called later today and talked with the manager. I told him I want to be able to recommend his shop and that I didn't want my 30 year old fenders to ruin some guys job. I just don't want this shit to happen to someone else.

I don't think I really know what to do when I go in there tomorrow to talk to him and show him the damage because we will both be looking at a 30 year old car that has some character. I don't want any crap to come down on the tech because I'm not like that, shit happens. I do not want to make a scene or be that guy that complains about everything but it's just disheartening as all fuck when you're right there at the fucking cusp and then someone pisses in your Cheerios.

On the way home I did a burnout because I got cut off by a ford and I went and drove for about 30 mins on some back road twisties.

This car rocks