WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'88 E30

KaiserRolls

Some on here already know, but I figured I'd make it WI BIMMERS official (is that a thing?) and add some pictures of the car.

I ended up selling my '89 E30 to Jake (StewCrew on here) on a Thursday (10th) the at about 7 at night.

4 hours later my buddies showed up after driving 270 miles. 

We planned to leave at about 9am for Mankato, where the 88 was. (5.5 hour drive one way)

We got out to his car at 9am, to find that the rear passenger window had been smashed. (awesome)

I thought that pretty much sealed the deal of not going to Mankato, especially because it was his younger sister's car and all that.

Turns out the thieves just wanted to learn Algebra. They stole her backpack and and Algebra book...... leaving a GoPro Hero 3 in the console and Oakleys in the visor (education comes first i guess?)

Took us all of 30 minutes to clean up the glass, quickly taped up a shitty garbage bag to the window, and left town about 45ish minutes late.

6 hours of plastic garbage bag flapping in the window is enough to make anyone go insane.

But yea, made it to Mankato around 3:30, bought the car, 45 minutes later I was on the road - to drive another 5.5 hours back to Milwaukee and work at 8am the next morning.

I was so tired when I got back to Milwaukee, I kind of accidentally let the car boil over in the parking garage 

On to the important stuff.

Its a bastard car: 88 E30 with late model bumpers, started life as an eta

an M50 out of a 94 e36, g250 transmission and a 2.93 rear end.

Raceland  headers with complimentary exhaust leak (headers into stock e30 mid section, hopefully change that soon)

E36 rack 

The hood is flat black primer and it also has hood pins - lol love it.

There are no e-brake - no cables -  (for convenience)

Tach stops at like 6k. M50 with dinan chip goes to 6800. it's fun to watch the tach go full derp mode.

the only thing that keeps one from completely removing the hood (besides hood pins) is that the washer fluid line is hooked up so you cant completely remove the hood unless you want to get drenched in fluid.

the interior is in surprisingly great shape.

there are some rust spots on the car, which i could give two poo's about (save big money)

dents, dings, etc, but i dont mind a'tall.

This is going to be a dd from here on out.

shittypicsoritdidnthappen? 

1012131655_zps69bd4bc1.jpg

^ washer fluid line still attached for safety

00000_iD63QMFORvt_600x450_zps9824e039.jp

^ 24v for snap ;)

bfbb_zpsb76b40f7.png

efe_zps8e2bdc24.png

degv_zps9ee25d12.png

holy cow video? - what an all-inclusive internet experience!

just to get a feel for how it sounds, with a nice exhaust leak. 

https://vimeo.com/76930838

Some on here already know, but I figured I'd make it WI BIMMERS official (is that a thing?) and add some pictures of the car.

I ended up selling my '89 E30 to Jake (StewCrew on here) on a Thursday (10th) the at about 7 at night.

4 hours later my buddies showed up after driving 270 miles. 

We planned to leave at about 9am for Mankato, where the 88 was. (5.5 hour drive one way)

We got out to his car at 9am, to find that the rear passenger window had been smashed. (awesome)

I thought that pretty much sealed the deal of not going to Mankato, especially because it was his younger sister's car and all that.

Turns out the thieves just wanted to learn Algebra. They stole her backpack and and Algebra book...... leaving a GoPro Hero 3 in the console and Oakleys in the visor (education comes first i guess?)

Took us all of 30 minutes to clean up the glass, quickly taped up a shitty garbage bag to the window, and left town about 45ish minutes late.

6 hours of plastic garbage bag flapping in the window is enough to make anyone go insane.

But yea, made it to Mankato around 3:30, bought the car, 45 minutes later I was on the road - to drive another 5.5 hours back to Milwaukee and work at 8am the next morning.

I was so tired when I got back to Milwaukee, I kind of accidentally let the car boil over in the parking garage 

On to the important stuff.

Its a bastard car: 88 E30 with late model bumpers, started life as an eta

an M50 out of a 94 e36, g250 transmission and a 2.93 rear end.

Raceland shorty headers with complimentary exhaust leak (headers into stock e30 mid section, hopefully change that soon)

E36 rack 

The hood is flat black primer and it also has hood pins - lol

Some of the wiring is kind of hit or miss, like an electric fan thats wired to a toggle switch were on is off and off is on - but its ok, it doesn't work anyways.

There is no e-brake - no cables -  (for convenience)

Tach stops at like 6k. M50 with dinan chip goes to 6800. it's fun to watch the tach go full derp mode.

also, it most likely needs subframe bushings, the ass end tends to do its own thing once and a while. 

the only thing that keeps one from completely removing the hood (besides hood pins) is that the washer fluid line is hooked up so you cant completely remove the hood unless you want to get drenched in fluid.

the interior is in surprisingly good shape.

there are some rust spots on the car, which i could give two poo's about (save big money)

dents, dings, etc, but i dont mind a'tall.

-also, have a complete rust free-ish-esqe late model valence and is lip he threw in

This is going to be a dd from here on out.

shittypicsoritdidnthappen? 

1012131655_zps69bd4bc1.jpg

^ washer fluid line still attached for safety

xDSCN1300.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HCJQxfw7-n.jp

bfbb_zpsb76b40f7.png

efe_zps8e2bdc24.png

degv_zps9ee25d12.png

holy cow video? - what an all-inclusive internet experience!

just to get a feel for how it sounds, with a massive exhaust leak.  :rolleyes:

https://vimeo.com/76930838

haha this has been a wonderful read. I never knew there was a gopro in the car, what an idiot thief, 

• 1 month later...

I was back home for the weekend (Eau Claire area)

and it was cold as hell. my phone takes asshole quality photos, so you're welcome.

1122131535_zps37097915.jpg

so tried to button up some of the small leaks.

changed out the valve cover gasket, spark plug hole gaskets as well.

the hope is to slow down/stop the oil leak that which was dumping oil into the plug well closest to the firewall.

1123131815_zps707db513.jpg

Also, picked up a full exhaust from DrLeadfoot on here.

1119131709_zpsf1b3d0be.jpg

Myself and my buddy Jake (who was all the awesome tools and sub 35 degree garage) worked on this over the night.

We sort of did everything at once.

1123131509_zps5c45f0da.jpg

Taking off the old exhaust was kind of a pain in the ass.

The short tube raceland headers that were on there came off ok, some of the exhaust studs came out at the same time when we were removing the nuts.

One of the headers was welded to the midsection, so that kinda sucked to get off.

The o2 sensor was kinda nasty, but that can be changed out whenever.

The midsection was also welded to the catback portion of the exhaust as well. so it was one huge section of exhaust with one header welded on.

*Old pic of exhaust from when Cyoung and I had the car at Concours

1024132139_zps70bc077d.jpg

so after getting the headers off, and the two supports holding it, it fell to the ground and landed on us - so that was nice.

1122131905_zps2d325640.jpg

^ Check out that massive heater!! cranking out negative BTU's and popping every breaker known to man.

The new longtube headers needed some massaging and coaxing (hammered it) in order to fit.

We also had to remove the first 6 lower studs on the head in order to get the exhaust to fit (dont worry, those went back in) although one is missing a stud+nut, just running three on it for now.

got the headers on (new exhaust gaskets), held the midsection and catback up with a few jacks and started getting everything hung up.

for now its held up with muffler straps and all that jazz, but it isn't going anywhere. eventually (with access to a welder) ill get some actual mounts made up.

some of the flanges that connect the catback to the mid section were pretty bent (from being tightened before) and the scrap bolts that were laying around were a little large for some of the flanges.

so i got to drill them out under the car and crush every knuckle i own. totally worth it.

finally got the IE strutbar installed that i had from my last e30. had to be drilled out a touch and massaged into place as well - it holds the wiring harness against the firewall too (saving big money)

got it bolted up, no exhaust leaks any more!

took it for a hood-less rip around the neighboorhood and it sounds great!

exhaust sounds as it should, I'll get clips up soon hopefully.