WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Pondering on potenital cars...

BMWben

Most of you don't know that I moved to South Carolina to go to school at The Citadel. To get myself home I'm looking to pick up a car down here since they are all rust free and most are decently priced. I just can't decide which way I want to go and was looking for some feedback to sway me one way or another. I've been looking into e36s and e34s more specifically 328is, 525i and a little into 540i. A touring e34 would be ideal but those are impossible to find it seems like but the e34s appeal to me because they seem to be more unique a not many people drive them in the communities or so it seems and have a great balance with classic BMW feel with modern touches. But e36s are cheap/easy to mod, easy to find everything, and all around are less expensive. Here are some potential candidates. Also manual is a must ;) .

For the e34s!

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4119628883.html

Obviously I would lose the wheels, I don't know if they have the originals still. Hopefully would be able to get it for around $2000 if I could get it without the wheels.

On the e36 side!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/4057481698.html

This guy put up a crap ad, I don't know anything about the car because he hasn't emailed me back yet but the pictures make it look clean. Hopefully would be able to drop the price to around $2000 too.

What do you all think? Would you prefer a e36 or a e34? General opinions? We can get a good convo going :cool: .

I say go for the e34.  I love my e36 but they are everywhere, not necessarily a bad thing, but especially if it's between those two cars the e34 looks nicer in my opinion.  Arctic gray on black is the way to go.  Somewhat depends on what you want to do with it, you are already aware that an e36 performance build will be cheaper, but for an all original car it's probably not much different.  Depends what your long term intentions are?

What's wrong with an e46?

E46's are still to expensive. They are much nicer then the e36 but the sellers know that. I would try and get a 330i or 330ci 5 speed but they are really expensive. I would rather put the money into a nice e39 540i if I had it anyways. 

E34 tourings are awesome!

I want a e34 touring! They are so hard to find, especially a good one that's a 5 speed. 

I say go for the e34.  I love my e36 but they are everywhere, not necessarily a bad thing, but especially if it's between those two cars the e34 looks nicer in my opinion.  Arctic gray on black is the way to go.  Somewhat depends on what you want to do with it, you are already aware that an e36 performance build will be cheaper, but for an all original car it's probably not much different.  Depends what your long term intentions are?

I was liking the e34 better too. I would want to do some performance mods to the engine if I got either car. There are many relatively simple mods you can do to a m52 to get the hp up to the 220 to 240 range which is really appealing but doing anything major, like a turbo build, would be equally as difficult on either car, but the e34 would probably be more expensive. Aftermarket, suspensions, lights and all that jazz is just so much easier to acquire for the e36 too. But a e34 with tasteful aftermarket mods looks soooo good, I'm to conflicted. 

It really depends on what *YOU* prefer, doesn't it?   :)

i'm just looking for some other opinions to help guide myself in the right direction.  :)

But I'm probably going to keep looking for both, see if I can get a better deal on one or the other. I am leaning towards the e34 side more just because I like how they are more unique. 

I am being totally honest right now with my opinion. I say get a 318ti. Preferably a 94 or 95. They are great little cars. They handle excellent, get great gas mileage, and are very very reliable.

I do think 318ti are cool little cars but I was handed down Chris's 318is which I drove till it died any I'm really looking to get into the I6 again, I miss them to much. 

Would anyone be able to I.D. the wheels on this car? Trying to figure out how much I would be able to get for them.

00909_i0hBZv8LIWG_600x450.jpg

And @Ramze46, I would go for one but the milage isn't going to cut it. Part of my justification to getting a car right now it to drive myself the 1000 miles home and back to SC a couple times a year.