WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Mitch's S52 M318 Swap

M318

MY BAD. I ordered the OEM M3 non sprung hub clutch with a single mass flywheel... I ain't down with chattering so I returned it... Now I am waiting on this...

KF776-01.jpg?1329350881

That dere is the E39 M5 Clutch and pressure plate. Looks like i am building it right. Probably wont even start.... anyway I spent way more than I planned but oh well whats money when it comes to your BMW!

MY BAD. I ordered the OEM M3 non sprung hub clutch with a single mass flywheel... I ain't down with chattering so I returned it... Now I am waiting on this...

KF776-01.jpg?1329350881

That dere is the E39 M5 Clutch and pressure plate. Looks like i am building it right. Probably wont even start.... anyway I spent way more than I planned but oh well whats money when it comes to your BMW!

Exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe someone else has more info but I think you are supposed to use an e34 m5 clutch.  I have the UUC flywheel with oem sachs m5 (which is a sprung hub) clutch and pressure plate but I think its for an e34.  Not sure if the UUC flywheel is different to accommodate the different clutch, I didn't try fitting the stock pressure plate over the dowels.

I have the E34 M5 clutch and pressure plate. I returned the stock OEM M3 kit. I am now thinking that I will have to use the M5 clutch disc and then buy the M3 Pressure plate! GRR and I went to put the exhaust on and I don't have any studs! God dammit this project is just one thing after the other. I feel like I am perpetually waiting for parts!

Oh earlier you said it was for an e39 m5.  Do you need studs for the manifold to head or manifold to downpipe?  If you can put the exhaust manifolds on the head before putting it in the car do it.  I found out it's very difficult to put the manifolds on with the engine in the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know that on bimmerfest.com they were telling people to put their clutch disk in backwards to get rid of chattering. What do you think about that? Is it COMPLETELY ridiculous?

This is correct if you are using the E34 M5 clutch and you can use the E34 pressure plate. You need an aftermarket flywheel so you can flip the clutch so it will lay inside the flywheel. I'm not familiar with your flywheel at all.