WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine e30 progress/build thread

m42b32

• 4 months later...

Well I'm back in the area for good! Which means no more long breaks between car progress. 

I have put about 850 miles on the car in the last week and runs so much better after all the work I did, the idle is smoother and it starts up much quicker from cold. It feels a bit pepier too! 

Things that need to happen now: tie rods and tires. The tires I have now are flat spotted and horrible, but I don't want to buy 14" tires so I am trying to refinish my wheels soon unless someone wants to buy them (I want some spec e30 wheels like dforce LTW5's or something like that). 

On a fun note, I found a partout of a 318is on craiglist and managed to snag a number of goodies, I'll update soon as I get things installed!

Picked up a bunch of good stuff the other day! 

First job was to finally upgrade my broken hella H4's with some nice new US ellipsoids, I also picked up a nice kidney grille to replace my broken blacked out one:

18396538079_1084277082_c.jpg

I also picked up one of the things I've been trying to do for ages, carpets! Installing them wasn't too hard at all, and it turned out extremely nice.

What was left of my nasty old carpet:

18582715825_501f39d672_c.jpg

New black carpet in:

18584842901_e31714de9a_c.jpg

Its amazing how much less noise I hear coming through the floors, and also how much cooler the interior stays with the windows up. It used to get really hot really fast without all the insulation.

Some other things I picked up: a set of low-mile bilstein sports and vogtland springs, and a sparco style strut bar (not sure if its a sparco since it is black and not red). I also ordered a skid plate from a guy on r3vlimited today to keep my oil pan in once piece once I lower the car 

Installed my new suspension yesterday, Bilstein sports and vogtland springs. I was given e90 drop hats when I bought the suspension and didn't plan on using them but once I set it on the ground the first time I decided I wanted them in so I ripped everything apart again and installed them. 

18525482629_eda05b871d_c.jpg

I love the way it sits, I should've taken a before picture for comparison. It handles like it is on rails now too, I was laughing all the way around town. It is super dirty right now so once I get it all cleaned up I will get some good pictures 

• 1 month later...

Cleaned it! I love the way it looks now, all it needs are euro grills, a euro plate filler, and those wheels that have been driving me nuts for two years....

18307010704_78136aebf7_b.jpg

On a slightly sad note, my (shockingly) crack free dash has developed a few tiny cracks, probably from sitting in the sun all the time. I bought a sunshade to keep it a bit cooler in the car so hopefully that helps. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night one of my worst nightmares came true. On my way to my family reunion I hit a deer on highway 21 just outside Omro. I was doing probably 55 and a buck came out of nowhere and I didn't even have a chance to react. Fortunately my girlfriend and I are unharmed aside from minor concussions, we are very lucky it didn't come up over the hood. 

20415680081_97ca1b4479_b.jpg

I'm pretty devastated, but its just a car. The deer didn't do so well. I have a feeling the insurance company wont be too willing to fix it, if that happens I will either buy it back and fix it or find another car to put everything into. Any advice for dealing with insurance?

What a shame, seems like it's always the clean cars that get hit bad too! How are the frame rails?

I'm not sure unfortunately, I didn't really get to look at the car that night and haven't been able to see it since. If they're straight I will be repairing car, if not I'll probably part it out and start the search for a new one

Re insurance, unless you had an agreed value policy they will try for book value... the lowest book value they can find.

I would put together any receipts you have, print the build thread, and especially get printouts of other examples of what e30s are selling for around here and in this region. See what they are offering and make your case for more.

Sorry about the car but glad you're both ok, deer flipping up and through the windshield is not uncommon in a front end hit.

Look on R3v for the thread where the guy in Chicago bought a pristine 91 318is with roughly 32k miles for around $23k. He may be nuts but it could help you.

Thanks for the information. I sent them every relevant receipt I could find, hopefully it helps. I'm definitely going to forward that thread if I can find it, that could help me a lot...