WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine e30 progress/build thread

m42b32

I had a free Saturday morning over the long weekend to clean my garage and work on a few little loose ends with the car. 

- Coolant leak seems to be sealed up finally, at least so far.

- I have functioning brake lights again after bending the switch bracket a bit to make sure it gets better contact against the pedal.

- New front wheel bearings made a world of difference, they must've been a lot more worn out than I thought. 

I left the exhaust alone for now because I want to drive the dang thing. It is now doing daily duty for the next week or two to get everything broken in and start sorting out the minor details!

31 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

How are the daily duties going??

Loving it! I really missed driving this car but the downtime has been worth it so far. There are definitely some kinks to work out and minor changes to make but the extra power and torque have really upped the smile factor in everyday driving. I've been easing into beating on it a bit now that the clutch has some miles on it too. The rear tires definitely aren't going to as long as before haha. I had to switch back to the wagon for the last few days because I needed the bike rack though. 

2 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Loving it! I really missed driving this car but the downtime has been worth it so far. There are definitely some kinks to work out and minor changes to make but the extra power and torque have really upped the smile factor in everyday driving. I've been easing into beating on it a bit now that the clutch has some miles on it too. The rear tires definitely aren't going to as long as before haha. I had to switch back to the wagon for the last few days because I needed the bike rack though. 

pssh, have you seen my e30 with 2 kayaks, 1 bike and 10 fishing poles on the roof?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Yakima-1A-RainGutter-Towers/123903144649?epid=8023425472&hash=item1cd933f2c9:g:rpcAAOSwOWpdd~ec:sc:USPSPriority!53211!US!-1

19 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

Haha I've seen a picture or two of the two kayaks, who needs a truck! My excuse is laziness... I actually have a Thule rack for the e30 from back when I bought the car, but the only roof tray I have that holds my mountain bike is bolted to the wagon at the moment. 

I picked up another ms43 ecu to start messing around with (in case I brick one). I did a full firmware flash to delete EWS/checksums and set it up to run an M54B30 to match exactly what the current one is set up as initially.

I then started messing around with TunerPro and RomRaider (there are really nice ms430056 definition files for each). I have been getting a P0444 (Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open) and P1112 (Engine Coolant Temperature Radiator Outlet Sensor High Input) code every time I start the car, which makes sense because I don't have either of those things anymore. I was able to suppress the DTC's for those two systems and now my ultragauge shows 0 trouble codes! I'm sure it's throwing many, many more but they will only show up in something like INPA so they're less of a priority. 

I also started messing around with the electronic thermostat temperature maps to try and bring down the peak operating temps a bit. Right now it runs between 197-206F and I'd like to shift that range down slightly to 190-200 or so. I lowered the peak values in the AC on and off maps, as well as the initial value before it reaches the oil temperature threshold, but didn't see a corresponding change when driving the car, so I'll have to investigate further and try some things. I might have to lower the actual oil temperature threshold to force it into the main coolant temperature maps sooner. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a blast with @KaiserRolls and @AsparagusMike at the FVSCC event at Road America this past Sunday! The car ran flawlessly, but boy do I have some dialing to do on the handling/my driving after all the changes I've made. Well over half the course was spent counter steering... and while this was hilariously fun, it made for quite the white knuckle ride when trying to push and improve lap times! I'm already looking forward to next season!

48858487743_7126edf752_b.jpg

Just now, B C said:

Im happy you got a chance to do some proper flogging! What’s your gameplan to balance the car?

Agreed!!

For adjustments I think working towards reducing oversteer (I know, boo) is going to be the main focus if I want to go faster. That and getting more practice of course. 

I didn't really get an opportunity to dial in the brake bias so I'd like to play around with that a bit and just see what happens. Right now it doesn't feel bad, but it might have too much rear bias as the car feels like it pivots quite a bit when braking hard into a corner. 

Another thing I'd like to try is softening or even disconnecting the rear sway bar. Mike said that really made a difference for him so I think it would be worth giving it a go too. Right now I have it set on the middle setting (19mm UUC bar), so dropping to the softest or even disconnecting it all together could help the rear end stay in line a bit better too. 

It is also entirely possible my tires have gotten pretty hard as they sat in an unheated garage for the last two winters... I know the RA motorplex surface is pretty slick, but it did feel like I had significantly less grip in every aspect compared to the last few times I was there with this car two years ago. Not much I can do about that one, so I'll just work with it for now. 

4 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

fast times are great and all, but power oversteer is addicting!  now you know what i've been up to whilst you beat me with the 1.8

awesome to see this thing out being pushed

Oh definitely! Its WAY too fun to power out of a turn with a bit of opposite lock. It's the whole 'very sideways when you don't want it' part that I'm looking to dial out 

On 10/8/2019 at 8:53 AM, patsbimmer1 said:

Sounds like the car has chosen it's passion in life... Don't fight the car, join @Tkuhn and @Earl in their slidey events.  Let your car live it's BEST LIFE!

Dont do it, it will ruin your life any any money you have will disappear in smoke. Literally 😂

Just kidding it's so worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping to get another few weeks of driving in with this car, but the weather had other ideas so it is parked for the season and will get prepped for the winter this weekend. Boo.

With snow on the way it is officially entering build season and I'm excited to announce that I'm not participating in anything significant. The goal for this winter is to keep it very near running condition so that there is no "picnic or bust", only "picnic" in the spring. I do, however, have a hit list of things I'd like to accomplish: 

- Complete the e36/Mclaren F1 window switch retrofit

- Re-do exhaust mid section

- Finish horn relay/wiring

- Diagnose/fix driver's front running light (currently no power)

- Re-do water temperature sensor ground

- Once the weather warms up in the spring, repaint all the faded trim and a few other things

- Maybe some other stuff

• 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to winterize the car over the weekend and I just realized that I forgot to fold the mirrors, so looks like I can't count that as done yet. 

I also had an itchy trigger finger on Black Friday and got a pair of Condor speed shop door handles. They look neat and I figure my car is modified enough to have silly "lightweight" door handles not look wildly out of place. 

49223706291_d8740b454f_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here's what I got done on my winter to-do list:

- Complete the e36/Mclaren F1 window switch retrofit - nope

- Re-do exhaust mid section - nope

- Finish horn relay/wiring - nope

- Diagnose/fix driver's front running light (currently no power) - nope

- Re-do water temperature sensor ground - nope

- Once the weather warms up in the spring, repaint all the faded trim and a few other things - nope

- Maybe some other stuff - nope

I did stop by the garage yesterday and cranked it over with the fuel pump relay pulled to build oil pressure, then popped the relay back in and it fired right up! Can't wait for driving season! 

Finally re-worked the exhaust mid section. I got rid of the crappy glass-pack and replaced it with a pair of more substantial mufflers

Before (old pic):

47982403571_b5cdc2330a_b.jpg

After:

49709689651_8348376703_b.jpg

I promise the welds are less boogery than they look in the picture. I'm going to re-paint it sometime this summer, so for now I reinstalled everything and took it for a test drive (also first drive of the year, this car is so fun). Its not necessarily much quieter, but the awful rasp is significantly better and it finally sounds half decent. The ground clearance is a little worse but I'm overall really happy with how it came out.