WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Official-look-what-i-found-thread (craigslist, other-forums, etc)

alexw

38 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I was reading that ad thinking "wow, this is a  great car!". Then I saw the price... Then I saw the mileage.  He's fucking insane.

The pinstripe that's missing on the passenger fender would bug the hell out of me. Add that to the hood that needs paint, I don't know if I'd pay half of his asking price. I didn't even see the 207,000 miles the first time I looked. I will say that it looks excellent otherwise if it's truly rust free, all that maintenance is really nice. I wonder why the head gasket was done though?

4 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

The pinstripe that's missing on the passenger fender would bug the hell out of me. Add that to the hood that needs paint, I don't know if I'd pay half of his asking price. I didn't even see the 207,000 miles the first time I looked. I will say that it looks excellent otherwise if it's truly rust free, all that maintenance is really nice. I wonder why the head gasket was done though?

It is a daily driver, mostly through the summer so the car is in fairly good shape for the midwest.

The story is simple, the owner is an older gentlemen with a lack of understanding labor/part cost which is unfortunately sad. The business that normally works his car's (who I know the owner personally) charges him for tons of uneeded repairs, and he pays for them, likely the reasoning for his high price. I made him aware of this when I saw all the receipts from a different car of his that he took to that business for years. The business would work on something, then "find something else" and would advise him they needed more money to complete the job. Soon this became too expensive and he approached a friend of mine asking to look at the cars. After seeing receipts over $60k for a non-running car that was "worked on" for over 5-6 years we took pity on the man, explained he was getting screwed, and that we could help finish the cars.

Fast forward and we finished the projects in a months time and he was grateful.

Fast forward again to a year after and I found out he was going back to that same business. I just laughed. Maybe he is selling this car to try and pay that business for work on another car. Well at least that wont happen at $7700.

54 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

It is a daily driver, mostly through the summer so the car is in fairly good shape for the midwest.

The story is simple, the owner is an older gentlemen with a lack of understanding labor/part cost which is unfortunately sad. The business that normally works his car's (who I know the owner personally) charges him for tons of uneeded repairs, and he pays for them, likely the reasoning for his high price. I made him aware of this when I saw all the receipts from a different car of his that he took to that business for years. The business would work on something, then "find something else" and would advise him they needed more money to complete the job. Soon this became too expensive and he approached a friend of mine asking to look at the cars. After seeing receipts over $60k for a non-running car that was "worked on" for over 5-6 years we took pity on the man, explained he was getting screwed, and that we could help finish the cars.

Fast forward and we finished the projects in a months time and he was grateful.

Fast forward again to a year after and I found out he was going back to that same business. I just laughed. Maybe he is selling this car to try and pay that business for work on another car. Well at least that wont happen at $7700.

Yeah, that’s too bad that the shop kept taking advantage of him. Still dumb he went back. Kudos to you guys for helping him out. 

17 hours ago, HipMF said:

This E46 has popped up at least 3 times in the last 18 months. Each time it has the exact same pictures and a low price. After about a week or two, it'll disappear and resurface later on. Not sure what to make of it.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:34 AM, straight6pwr said:

agreed the price is insane. they are clearly targeted at very well off owners, i.e. replica DTM e30 m3 builders. the wheels are just so pretty.

if you can find a set of real 5x120 e50s for sale right now, you'd obviously get those instead. but youd be hard pressed, i imagine.

They are very handsome I agree. Aesthetically I really like them.

I was just getting at the ludicrous price for "replicas" when you have the option of finding a real set for the same, if not less.  

I did look, and found a few sets as it seems they made quite a few, but it really depends on the specs. You are better off buying the faces and building a set. I bet this place has a set if you were really looking.... 

http://www.bbs-racing.de/  

Totaled E30 318i sedan with 210k for $2k, hopefully it comes with $1.5k in the trunk

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/melrose-park-1991-bmw-318-e30-manual/6854352505.html

That salvage title E30 M3 project is now available with no drivetrain for $25k

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/d/homer-glen-1988-bmw-e30-m3-roller/6855510387.html