WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Official-look-what-i-found-thread (craigslist, other-forums, etc)

alexw

2 hours ago, AsparagusMike said:

Mileage is a bit on the high side but overall not a bad price for a S50. Would totally pick it up for a spare if I had the extra $

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/d/prospect-heights-s50-engine-manual/6803879281.html

I've gotten the idea in my head of a s50 in the e34 someday and I can't get it out. This isn't helping.

2 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

Interesting, I thought you could buy turn key replicas for how much they want for this wrecked one?  Unless the RCR ones are that much better than era or Superformance, but I don't see how that could be as I remember my buddy who knows a lot about GT40s once said the Superformance replicas were closer to the original cars than even the Safir continuation ones were.

The RCR "deluxe plus" GT40 kit is not even $50k. 

On 1/29/2019 at 9:52 AM, SteelBlue said:

This dude must have had an obscene amount of projects and got bitched at by his wife or is trying to sell everything to buy something else.

Wouldn't be browsing Milwaukee or Chicago CList without seeing that house/driveway at least once.

9 hours ago, m42b32 said:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/d/homer-gleni-e30-autocross-track-car/6811137265.html

It looks a little rough but it has a pretty nice list of parts (e30 m3 suspension swap, etc) 

My point remains.

6 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

first off, who the hell cuts the bulkhead at the rear seats?! its structural!

oh yeah, that's right, homer glen guy would. he thinks he knows everything about e30s

that car is way too crusty for 7k. the sunroof delete is taped on. 

Thank you!  Looks like junk to me.

There are issues here but again not a surprise. 

In addition to structural issues, the bulkhead removal raises a safety issue with the battery placement in spare tire well. The battery needs to be fully enclosed in a battery box for the safety of the driver. Any decent organization would fail the car in tech.  Hoping the jumper cables were just to start and not a permanent fixture (still, running the cables through the car rather than removing the truck lid raises other questions, maybe "quicker'?) 

The tape over the top of the sunroof panel might be OK if the panel is welded or riveted to the roof skin. Looks like the latter. My panel has welded on brackets that are bolted to my cage, and has seam sealer and gorilla tape over the seams to keep out the water when it rains.

I'm assuming the rear trunk clips are because of the gutted bulkhead but if you want weight reduction it would be much better to remove the front hood assembly and use clips there.

Similarly replace the front comfort seat and slider which weighs a lot and offers no support at all for autox or track. 

The coil relocated to the top of the passenger fender well could be OK as long as the bracket is bolted through so the coil doesn't come loose. Coil coming loose and banging against the exhaust headers can fry the car's electrics. 

Heater core is pulled which is fine, but given Wisconsin you'd want some setup to deal with defogging the windshield.

Taped over hole to the left in the passenger floorboard could be to get access to trans fill hole to run a fill hose? Useful if the case. 

If you could pick this up for $3-4k, there is potential. The suspension bits are a plus. Go through it thoroughly to make sure everything is OK mechanical and electrical. Get it up on a lift to check structure and rust. There's been some repainted stuff out of Homer Glenn covering some poor body conditions. You'd also want much more detail on who did the stroker rebuild and how well it was done. Battery box or weld in a new bulkhead depending on who you plan to run with, cage it or add a roll bar at minimum, pick up a used race seat, harnesses, etc., and you could have a fun toy.    

By that time / price point though there are other things you could have bought.  

8 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

first off, who the hell cuts the bulkhead at the rear seats?! its structural!

oh yeah, that's right, homer glen guy would. he thinks he knows everything about e30s

that car is way too crusty for 7k. the sunroof delete is taped on. 

Not sure how I missed the cut bulkhead.... it wasn't even done cleanly, just hacked out. 

I think my eyes glossed over because I want the coilovers and K1's.