WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Official-look-what-i-found-thread (craigslist, other-forums, etc)

alexw

Looks like an individual interior?

https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/d/2-bmw-750-eand-2001/6759241083.html

Looks like somebody is going for a quick flip, actually.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/bmw-750-il/6725652241.html

Look ma, a unicorn! I can't remember the last time I saw a an e60 manual, much less a wagon.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/d/very-rare-bmw-530xit-sport/6760116973.html

Possibly a good daily for someone, sharp car.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/d/2006-bmw-330i-sport-with-6/6741422366.html

This looks like a pretty fair price to me, any opinions?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/2008-bmw-m3-e92/6762527319.html

17 hours ago, tsweers89 said:

Considering kbb is mid/upper 8s and people usually pay under Kelly's blue book for a vehicle that isnt special aka M car or such. Also this being only 2wd and can pick these up at dealer auctions for 6k with close to same mileage I'd say that's your issue.

20181202_153237.jpg

The only thing I would have to disagree with is that I think the car definitely meets the criteria for Very Good condition rather then just Good.

(value reflects cars with just the standard options)

Screenshot_20181203-091324_Chrome.jpg

That being said, even in Very Good it doesn't quite meet the 10,000 mark but he his pretty negotiable.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:51 PM, AsparagusMike said:

So a co-worker and good friend of mine is having a tough time trying to sell his bmw that he's owned for a couple of years now. He has had very little interest in it so far and feels that his price is pretty fair but is not really sure and is wondering that maybe its just a tough time of year for selling that particular car. I'm just trying to seek out some advice/opinions on what you guys think of the car or what you know about that particular model and year already that may be a reason for why its not particularly selling as fast as he was hoping.

Just from my own personal experience, this car is super clean and he is the type of guy that is nit picky about all the little things and takes very good care of what he owns. He has had zero trouble with the car as a whole throughout his ownership and the car has proved to be very reliable for him.

https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/d/2011-bmw-528i-2-sets-of/6739816865.htm

IMO; a couple reasons.

1. What I have learned is that most of anyone spending $10k on a car is going to want to buy it at a dealer, just for a warranty. 

2. He has hardly any pictures which leads the buyer to guess/ hope that there isnt any surprises after driving miles/hours to come see it.

3. He has very lacking description. If you want to sell something, dont be lazy and give the buyer a reason to want to buy it. A lack of info and details screams something is wrong/missing or the owner is careless. I wouldnt want to buy something from someone careless. If you cant write more than a paragraph, about something worth $10k, what makes me think you take the time to have the oil changed in regular intervals?

4.  Its a pretty specific car, and if its only listed on craigslist, you will only get people looking on craigslist. I would list it all over the place. the more places its posted, the more exposure you will get. For example; I  listed car on only craigslist before, and get one or two hits. A week later list the same car on 10+ pages on Facebook, and I have 10 people at my door by the end of the day. 

On 12/1/2018 at 9:51 PM, AsparagusMike said:

So a co-worker and good friend of mine is having a tough time trying to sell his bmw that he's owned for a couple of years now. He has had very little interest in it so far and feels that his price is pretty fair but is not really sure and is wondering that maybe its just a tough time of year for selling that particular car. I'm just trying to seek out some advice/opinions on what you guys think of the car or what you know about that particular model and year already that may be a reason for why its not particularly selling as fast as he was hoping.

Just from my own personal experience, this car is super clean and he is the type of guy that is nit picky about all the little things and takes very good care of what he owns. He has had zero trouble with the car as a whole throughout his ownership and the car has proved to be very reliable for him.

https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/d/2011-bmw-528i-2-sets-of/6739816865.htm

The price isn't terrible but it's a rental spec 5 series.  There's nothing special about this car that makes anyone in the midwest want it.  If it were AWD someone may bite but he's going to sit on it for a bit at $10k.  For $1k - $3k more I found 535i xDrive's on cars.com with slightly more miles and in that same price range found 528i xDrives.  Both more desirable in Wisconsin than a RWD 528i.  Also, the wheel/tire package doesn't add $2k to the deal.  It's a $10k car with the wheels and tires.  He couldn't sell that package for $2k separately.  And as stated above the ad isn't written very well.  Pictures aren't great and there's basically no meaningful information in the ad such as length of ownership, pros/cons, no options packages, no VIN to decode, etc.  If i'm looking at a car I want to know what i'm looking at.  Not that it has "some fun programmed BMW features coded in".  That tells me nothing.  What are the features?  Why should I care to look any further?  But the next ad I look at that tells me every bit about what i'm buying such as maintenance intervals, who performed the work, what brands were used, what features the car has, etc.  For that I'm in.  I also agree with  @Jdesign that it should be broadcast to a wider audience.  

16 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

The price isn't terrible but it's a rental spec 5 series.  There's nothing special about this car that makes anyone in the midwest want it.  If it were AWD someone may bite but he's going to sit on it for a bit at $10k.  For $1k - $3k more I found 535i xDrive's on cars.com with slightly more miles and in that same price range found 528i xDrives.  Both more desirable in Wisconsin than a RWD 528i.  Also, the wheel/tire package doesn't add $2k to the deal.  It's a $10k car with the wheels and tires.  He couldn't sell that package for $2k separately.  And as stated above the ad isn't written very well.  Pictures aren't great and there's basically no meaningful information in the ad such as length of ownership, pros/cons, no options packages, no VIN to decode, etc.  If i'm looking at a car I want to know what i'm looking at.  Not that it has "some fun programmed BMW features coded in".  That tells me nothing.  What are the features?  Why should I care to look any further?  But the next ad I look at that tells me every bit about what i'm buying such as maintenance intervals, who performed the work, what brands were used, what features the car has, etc.  For that I'm in.  I also agree with  @Jdesign that it should be broadcast to a wider audience.  

I contacted the guy about the car and have gone back and forth with a couple e-mails.  After this exchange, I believe you guys are 100% accurate.  No real additional information has been passed through other than the oil has been changed every 5k with liqui-moly products and that the car was ceramic treated (with no mention of how long ago that was).  I asked specific question about the water pump, transmission service, plugs/coil packs (forgot to ask if the oil filter housing gasket has been done) and the response in a nutshell was that it has been super reliable, needs nothing and has led interior lights and tinted windows.

Oddly, I am still considering it even though it sounds like a deferred maintenance nightmare.  However, given how you guys have pretty accurately read the score, it's not something I am super excited about and the price has to be right especially considering I will probably be stuck holding my e92 until Spring.

edit: I also feel this car in general is in somewhat of a "black hole".  I mean, it's a very basic, low performance sedan that's not really old enough to be cool, so it doesn't really appeal to younger buyers.  Yet, it's sort of too old/high miles to appeal to older buyers (read: with more dough to spend) who will probably just say, screw it, for $5-$10k more, I can get one X years newer, with fractions of the miles and maybe even with some sort of warranty.

@wally509 this car would be great for someone like you thats handy with a wrench, not afraid of new tech and has low expectations for performance.  I see the other market for this car being the kid that just graduated college and wants to fit in with the rest of the parking lot at the office but wants to stand out from the jr associates driving the 3 series and a4.  My criticism hasn't been with the car itself just the ad.  If he spent the money on liqui-moly and ceramic coating then at least he was willing to spend money to take care of it.  Good luck!

11 hours ago, HipMF said:

Called on car. Seller claims to have owned it for a year and got the car from texas therefore there is no rust. Suspension would need a refresh, tires are newer, has a borla muffler, canned tune, intake, no leaks, and nothing on the short list that he would recommend doing mechanically to the car. Seller is not a “BMW guy” though and kept re-iterating that THIS IS AN M3.

I started making the spreadsheet for an S54 swap and ended once I reached the dollar amount where a decent E46 M3 could be acquired.

Seems worth checking out though. I have the VIN If anyone is interested

5 minutes ago, snap said:

Called on car. Seller claims to have owned it for a year and got the car from texas therefore there is no rust. Suspension would need a refresh, tires are newer, has a borla muffler, canned tune, intake, no leaks, and nothing on the short list that he would recommend doing mechanically to the car. Seller is not a “BMW guy” though and kept re-iterating that THIS IS AN M3.

I started making the spreadsheet for an S54 swap and ended once I reached the dollar amount where a decent E46 M3 could be acquired.

Seems worth checking out though

Damn sounds like a good deal for someone! If it was in my neck-of-the-woods I would buy it.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:12 AM, HipMF said:

I drive past this daily. Owner is not the type of guy you would expect to be driving this car. Im also pretty sure his other car is a DONK. Besides that its also an auto. @Earl and I have got up close and looked at it one day. Its a fair condition M3, I would pay maybe closer to $3k.

15 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

I drive past this daily. Owner is not the type of guy you would expect to be driving this car. Im also pretty sure his other car is a DONK. Besides that its also an auto. @Earl and I have got up close and looked at it one day. Its a fair condition M3, I would pay maybe closer to $3k.

He said his other car is a 2014 Impala, Not many people besides rental car companies like Impalas.  This is where I stop talking

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

DO you have a liscense? Otherwise you will need a broker to bid on that car.

Mn you can buy without a license. Wisconsin and other states you need a broker.

15 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

I'm pretty sure Minnesota is a green light state for the public to buy from auction.

Indeed. I almost won this 135i this past summer. Someone stole the comfort access key so in turn I didn't go up to my max bid.

20180828_155348.jpg

20180828_160147.jpg

20180828_155328.jpg

20180828_155326.jpg

20180828_145844.jpg

20180828_154449.jpg

20180828_160017.jpg