WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Official-look-what-i-found-thread (craigslist, other-forums, etc)

alexw

44 minutes ago, Snap said:

Just saw this thing driving around unscathed last week

135i, damaged $5k

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/5581777971.html

screaming deal!

i've seen this car when driving and talked to the owner once at a stoplight in New Berlin. I recognize the smoked tails and stupid M badge on a white 135i. I wouldn't trust that anything is legit, not even the motor. The guy claims "it's just a shame that it was hit by a careless driver", when it is almost 100% certain that he rear-ended someone himself based on the damage. The lower half of the front bumper is in perfect condition practically, no dents or smashing, and all damage is sloping upwards on the hood, indicating that he slammed on the brakes and nose-dived into either a truck or SUV. The only other possibility was a head-on collision which would have done far more damage throughout the front end of the car.

Did I mention he said he can't afford to repair it? So you either have no insurance, or.....??? This is typical of where the N-series community is going. Just a bunch of broke ass 20-somethings who saw a quick 135i on youtube dusting some stupid WRX "Stage 2" Subro, and realized they can buy the 135i for $12,000 dollars with like 100k miles on it, and now think they own race cars but can't afford to maintain/repair/keep the car in proper condition. Go buy a Civic.

This seller is full of shit. And anyone who puts an M badge, black racing stripes, and a wing on a 135i should not be trusted as someone who "took care of the car". 

Shitfuck. Through and through. 

12 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

i've seen this car when driving and talked to the owner once at a stoplight in New Berlin. I recognize the smoked tails and stupid M badge on a white 135i. I wouldn't trust that anything is legit, not even the motor. The guy claims "it's just a shame that it was hit by a careless driver", when it is almost 100% certain that he rear-ended someone himself based on the damage. The lower half of the front bumper is in perfect condition practically, no dents or smashing, and all damage is sloping upwards on the hood, indicating that he slammed on the brakes and nose-dived into either a truck or SUV. The only other possibility was a head-on collision which would have done far more damage throughout the front end of the car.

Did I mention he said he can't afford to repair it? So you either have no insurance, or.....??? This is typical of where the N-series community is going. Just a bunch of broke ass 20-somethings who saw a quick 135i on youtube dusting some stupid WRX "Stage 2" Subro, and realized they can buy the 135i for $12,000 dollars with like 100k miles on it, and now think they own race cars but can't afford to maintain/repair/keep the car in proper condition. Go buy a Civic.

This seller is full of shit. And anyone who puts an M badge, black racing stripes, and a wing on a 135i should not be trusted as someone who "took care of the car". 

Shitfuck. Through and through. 

I didn't even notice that wing or M badge.  Both are horrible.

i think you're all crazy. 

A complete n54 engine, including turbos with 100k miles is worth $2000, MAYBE $2500 tops coming out of a crashed car like this with no warranty. There is nothing special about the motors - they are a dime a dozen and were put into multiple BMW models and on the used market they just are not worth a ton of money. The interior trim will sell, the seats will sell, nobody will want the differential and people don't typically blow up gears on the stock manual transmission so not a lot of people are looking to replace those either. In my completely irrefutable opinion it's a lot of work just to recoupe the $5k investment. You've invested 20 hours into taking stuff apart including pulling the motor so you have to make up that time plus the initial investment just to break even, and then you need to worry about having enough to sell that people want to turn a profit. 

And while I admire Earl's positive outlook on things in general, there isn't much reason to build up an n54 block. Even if the motor were trashed and you needed to rebuild it, there isn't much sense in using aftermarket internals and paying the premium for those when 99.9% of N54 builds are not going to make enough power to require anything other than stock n54 internals.

The only legitimate reason to purchase this car is if you want to swap the n54 into something and thus need to ensure you have all necessary components like wiring harnesses. I forbid anyone on this forum, as their friend, from purchasing this vehicle for any reason other than to swap the engine.

23 minutes ago, Snap said:

You buy a 135i to have a well buttoned-together performance car.

It has already been raped beyond being well buttoned-together anymore and would be a spendy platform for a track rat compared to a cheaper more disposable/replaceable chassis.

The world needs more N54 swapped 80's and 90's cars

I hear you volunteering...

49 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

Breh... everyone is doing it these days.

http://www.fuel-it.biz/e-series-port-injection-options/

Base_kit__70997.1452290489.1280.1280.jpg

Yes I see that, but I'm saying Completely get rid of the direct injection. That shit is just parallel to stock ecu. Only standalone ecu's that can handle the n54 direct injection are syvecs and I'm not a millionaire haha 

23 hours ago, Snap said:

You buy a 135i to have a well buttoned-together performance car.

It has already been raped beyond being well buttoned-together anymore and would be a spendy platform for a track rat compared to a cheaper more disposable/replaceable chassis.

The world needs more N54 swapped 80's and 90's cars

I guess we all have different goals. If I were to buy a 135I, it would get a large single turbo, LSD, nice coilovers and sticky tires, and be an epic daily driver. 

1 hour ago, Rowleym said:

Yes I see that, but I'm saying Completely get rid of the direct injection. That shit is just parallel to stock ecu. Only standalone ecu's that can handle the n54 direct injection are syvecs and I'm not a millionaire haha 

I know, just buy a port injection kit and disconnect the direction injection ;)

1 hour ago, Rowleym said:

I guess we all have different goals. If I were to buy a 135I, it would get a large single turbo, LSD, nice coilovers and sticky tires, and be an epic daily driver. 

Why convert to port injection when you've already got it all figured out? But seriously, for straight line power this is all you need. The problem is, single turbo setups weren't readily available or dialed in (tunes, fuel, etc) until recently. You need to add a fuel system (port injection, upgraded LPFP) to your list, but that is pretty much my plan once my stock twins give up. Most people are fine on stock motor until 800whp+. Anything above that seems to develop a problem with headgasket, piston rings, etc.

20 hours ago, suspenceful said:

I know, just buy a port injection kit and disconnect the direction injection ;)

Why convert to port injection when you've already got it all figured out? But seriously, for straight line power this is all you need. The problem is, single turbo setups weren't readily available or dialed in (tunes, fuel, etc) until recently. You need to add a fuel system (port injection, upgraded LPFP) to your list, but that is pretty much my plan once my stock twins give up. Most people are fine on stock motor until 800whp+. Anything above that seems to develop a problem with headgasket, piston rings, etc.

Would only convert to standalone and port injection if swapping into an e30 for example, otherwise, the wiring is HEAVY on the complicated side haha. Thats why I was talking about it. Chances are slim that I would want a 135i, well maybe when I get old, or they get cheaper. 

4 hours ago, TehRaydarlover said:

http://www.panjo.com/buy/1-series-m-1m-with-low-miles-absolutely-everything-works-limited-production-bmw-excellent-investment-301288?index=306

Anyone have like $50k I could borrow/have? Located on Franklin, WI. Guy has quite the collection.

That things been up for sale for awhile at the same price.  Somebody will have to really love the 1M to buy this instead of forking over a few grand more for an M2.  I don't think these are investment grade yet but they definitely haven't lost any value.  Buy it, drive it for a year, sell it for the same price.