WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Official-look-what-i-found-thread (craigslist, other-forums, etc)

alexw

An E34 dream/ nightmare.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/d/braintree-1995-bmw-540i-massive-price/6999294845.html

This thing has some of the most unobtainium collected in one E34. 3 guys have spent fortunes trying to get a head gasket to hold and all have failed.

now being sold as a collection of rare parts with a calypso shell and a bad head gasket.

If I only had vacation time to drag this thing home.🤔

5 minutes ago, RobZR said:

An E34 dream/ nightmare.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/d/braintree-1995-bmw-540i-massive-price/6999294845.html

This thing has some of the most unobtainium collected in one E34. 3 guys have spent fortunes trying to get a head gasket to hold and all have failed.

now being sold as a collection of rare parts with a calypso shell and a bad head gasket.

If I only had vacation time to drag this thing home.🤔

Wow. 

ALL THAT AND ONE PICTURE. 

48 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

So why are you not buying this? Have it shipped!

To many projects.   I'd be all over it if I didn't have (2) E34 540i/6  already.  And 8 vehicles (6 BMW's) has stretched the spousal approval factor to the limit. "if you bring another car in the yard, it better be an RV, cause you'll be living in it" rings every time a deal like his comes up. 

I've seen this car go up for sale ~8 years ago. The original owner was a doctor and had it built as a street/track car.  It's got all the track toys. The M60 was bored and stroked to extreme. He took it out a couple of times and blew the head gasket.  Rebuilt it with upgraded gaskets, ran it a few more times and blowing it again. Fed up with the ordeal, he put it up for sale.  I was to late to the deal and the current owner bought it. I found my calypso car a year later. He proceed to check everything and replace the head gaskets yet again. ran it for a few months and blew the head gasket again.  That was last I heard of this car, 'till it came up for sale as is now about 3 mo ago for ~$6500. now he's down to a more realistic $3000.

On paper this thing is a Beast, in reality the motor is a nightmare.

as Paul Harvey said "and that folks is the rest of the story"

16 hours ago, RobZR said:

...............blew the head gasket, Rebuilt it with upgraded head gaskets, ran it a few more times and blew the head gasket again.  He then replace the head gaskets yet again............. ran it for a few months and blew the head gasket again. 

Sounds like that car belongs here more than most of our cars. Someone bring 'ol girl home.

2 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

That second one was posted awhile back. its a good deal for a track car.

16 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

based on the ad, i don't think any car from that chucklehead is going to be a good deal. sitting a year, needs a battery, and check engine light is on? i wouldn't assume you could drive that car away.

Wouldn't be the first car Ive purchased from a paint eater.

10 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I want to hate this but the fact that they didn't put an LS in and instead put a Bentley Mulsanne engine in it puts it on my hate to love list.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/south-milwaukee-hot-rod-porsche-911/7001320030.html

the 6.75l Bentley motor makes 500hp in stock form. how did they manage only 330hp?

45 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

makes sense now. ad says from a Bentley Mulsanne, which when I looked it up started production in 2010 and has 500hp. the engine is really from an 1980s Bentley Mulsanne Turbo, which unsurprisingly only has 330hp.