WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Dirty Delphin Progression Thread

Ryan...

I did actually lol

He was from Naperville I believe.. This isn't where you tell me that they had 15 bends and 4 hidden cracks, right? lol

In other news: blew my tranny this weekend down in Madison. Total cost so far is$72 for a tow, $48 in gas to have my uncle with a car dolly come down and grab me, $35 to rent the car dolly, and $47 food bill for my uncle, brother, and I to eat on the trip home. Now I'm gonna pick up a tranny from Matt, install new bushings/change fluids while its off, and then hopefully install and be on my way..

I did actually lol

He was from Naperville I believe.. This isn't where you tell me that they had 15 bends and 4 hidden cracks, right? lol

Paladin? Nah, they were in really good shape when i sold them. only one spot of curb rash and a little clear-coat peal. Looks like he put some new tires on there which is good.

These have the same issues you describe, very minor rash on one wheel, and a couple little clearcoat issues. He put some federal 595 tires on them, and the camber wear is almost unreal! Just picked up 2 dirt cheap Yokohama tires to slap on for the time being. Once my other summer jobs start up I'll get a nice set of matching tires lol

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys, I"m really considering going to the dark side and selling my suspension setup.. I'd pick up some cheap JOM coilovers to really get the drop I want. This car is my DD, so I dont really need a stiff sport suspension anyways, and everyone on R3V seems to be happy with their $400 JOM kits..

Guest Charles Dickens

Well... Installed the new rims tires today, 205 45 16 all around. What I've determined so far is that I need to be at least 1.5" lower up in front :(

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=276314&d=1303859362

+1 for more lows up from, but it sits pretty nicely considering that late models always have a negative rake look about them

Yeah, I'll probably search around for some used 205 50s on CL to see how they fit. From what I've read so far on R3V, and through PM'ing a couple members running them, they really aren't that bad. You can order vert springs for no extra cost (same height, just stiffer), which would keep it from being very bouncy. The IE springs aren't very stiff, so I'm kind of curious how the two setups would compare to each other on a DD that sees over 10k miles a year of straight road commuting?

IE springs are progressive, so they feel softer in their first bit of travel then stiffen up. the JOM kit would be bouncy not because of soft springs, but because of cheap/soft dampening from the struts not properly matched to the spring rate. the JOM kit + bilstein or koni sports would be better.

maybe i missed it, but why did you want to go with the JOMs?

I thought about just keeping my Bilstiens and buying the ground control conversion, but the reason for ultimately wanting to switch setups; go a little lower than I am now. Looking at pics of people running the JOM kits, they're getting awfully low. If I could drop another 1" up front I'd be happy, and cutting springs will most assuredly never happen..

PS: do you know why I cant enable an avatar? Is there a post count limit or something?

The IE springs, along with many other e30 performance springs, are progressive as Dan mentioned. Meaning there are usually a couple softer springs on top/bottom, and then stiffer coils to improve the handling of the vehicle to match the shocks. I've talked to a couple guys that have cut springs and the results are always the same: looks better, rides like crap.

I'd be willing to bet that with the 205s and drop hats in front, you'd be happy with how it looked! Not really worth the $400-$1200 and added complexity of coil overs.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure you can remove some of the dead coil on the IE springs with no effects on its function. You can't cut much, maybe 1/2 coil or something and gain another 1/4" of drop.

Edited by straight6pwr

Guest Charles Dickens

I'd be willing to bet that with the 205s and drop hats in front, you'd be happy with how it looked!

Agreed. And drop hats are worth a shot, they're pretty cheap. I heard something about e90 15mm drop hats being a perfect fit, FullBanana has them on his car (I think...) and his setup looks pretty good.

As for cutting springs, there's a 1/2 coil out of my H&R (ix) sports, and it looks better and rides good, but I can't speak for everyone who has cut their springs.

I think I'm gonna sell my XXRs, just not feeling the 6 spoke like I thought I would :/ Once I installed them I almost immediately began to miss my simple little 14" weaves..

So now I'm thinking of picking up a set of Enkei 92, 15x7, offset unknown, 4x108 for $150. I like them because they're simple and have a decent lip for 15" rim. I would need to possibly repaint them, re-polish the lips, and buy new rubber + adapters to make them fit.

Opinions?