WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Help Needed; E30 Parts For Labor?

Guest apocono74

Guest apocono74

I have two E30's that need some mechanical help.

I have all the parts, but I don't have the time nor the budget.

What I do have is a third E30 in my garage with almost every part that is in really good condition.

If you are willing to help I will gladly exchange parts for labor.

Money can enter the equation too, but unfortunately not a lot.

I live in Brown Deer (near Milwaukee), please contact me if you have any questions or are willing to help!

apocono74@hotmail.com

(414) 628-7738

Text or call

Guest apocono74

I do not know why the car is not starting, but it was working last summer. Although I do need the head gaskets to be changed.

Maybe you can take a look at it and see something that I have missed.

If I wasn't having another kid next week then I would love to come help. I can certainly help diagnose it online here though. Is it not starting because of something you did while working on it, or did it sit over the winter and now it isnt starting? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be willing to help and i'm located close to you, but i'd like to see some of the reward parts (pics of the parts car).  Knowing what i'd be helping to fix would be nice.  I also have to admit i'm a little sketched out about meeting a stranger by myself in Brown Durr.  Lots of questions; allay my fears good sir.

Guest apocono74

Haha, I understand the hesitance, and I have a couple pics here to ease your fears:

dsc0252tx.jpg

dsc0256fb.jpg

dsc0267j.JPG

dsc0256fb.jpg

I want the head gaskets to be replaced, but other than that, last summer it was working and it sat over the winter and now isn't starting. I already replaced the fuel pump and there was fuel going  to the engine, and you can smell the gas.

Someone told me that maybe the gas dried out so I put 4 gal in the tank, but that did not help. Other than that I don't know what is wrong. I'm not much of a mechanic and all I know is from what I read online. 

I have all the parts and pretty much all of the tools that may be needed.

The car that you see in the garage was complete, and all the pieces are either on the floor or in buckets, I only want to save a few items, being the transmission, quarter front panels, front windshield  and the engine.  Everything else is up for grabs. 

And don't mind the mess in the garage, I haven't been in there since last summer.

So if you are able to replace the head gaskets and figure out the problem and maybe if your missing some parts for your car, let me know and we can work something out.

I have never done anything like this, but I figured I may as well give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like no spark ... cap, rotor, coil, and all plug wires. Main relay and timing sensor as well ... That is where I would start. If you don't have a Bentley manual, order one ... It will walk you through most of the troubleshooting for these items.

Yeah, it's been unattended for a while.

I have been working on the car and have recorded a video so that you can hear the sound that it makes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9uXLo1Kim0&feature=youtu.be

Sounds like no spark ... cap, rotor, coil, and all plug wires. Main relay and timing sensor as well ... That is where I would start. If you don't have a Bentley manual, order one ... It will walk you through most of the troubleshooting for these items.

^ this

it does sound like a no spark issue. pull a plug wire and check for spark. if you dont you can test the ignition coil to see if it is good. also check for power to it. any codes? 

i would like to add to the list above for no spark

cap and rotor ---  usually will be a rough idle or rough running issue  unless either one is cracked and it has moisture inside it but it will start on a dry day

dead coil---- no spark check for power to it and test the coil resistance.  .5 ohms between the + and - terminals and 5000 ohms between the center terminal and the + terminal

spark plug wires ---  unlikely that all 6 went bad at the same time but not impossible check resistance of the wires 5000 to 6000 ohm 

relay -- could be stuck test for power at coil

crank sensor -- test it, should be 500-540 ohm

check these thing and let us know what you find if you need more help let us know.ill get your car running as long as you do the testing for me

spark plug wires ---  unlikely that all 6 went bad at the same time but not impossible check resistance of the wires 5000 to 6000 ohm 

Great info here !!!

Agreed about plug wires but ..... there is only one between the coil and the cap and that one could be bad ... ask me how I know  :mad: