WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My 89 325iX

bfraser30

Well I guess it's time to finally introduce myself and my new car.

I've lurked around here and other BMW forums for a few years while I waited for the right car. I ended up buying a mk1 VW Rabbit Diesel last summer and drove it through the winter, but decided it was time to get into something I really wanted. That, and I grew to hate the VW scene and Vortex especially. This explains it perfectly:

I ended up selling the VW and went this last weekend to pick up my new car - an 89 325iX. I've been around e30s for awhile, my uncle and cousin have several and autocross a turbo 325iS, but I've always wanted an iX. This one popped up on CL Tuesday and I was there to make the deal Wednesday. 

The car has an interesting history. The guy I bought it from got it from a BMW mechanic in Minneapolis, and he got it from a BMW collector in the area. Supposedly he owned it for 15 years and daily drove it in the winter. He had 8 other Bimmers including an e46 M3, Z4M, e24 M6, and others. The car was always serviced at German Autoworks and came with over $13k in receipts. It still needs some love, and I hope to chip away at fixing it up and trying to get it back close to original with a few mods.  

The Details:

1989 325iX

4 door

5-speed

Diamantschwarz Metallic

Tan Sport Interior

279,000 miles on the body 

~30,000 miles on engine, suspension, brakes, pretty much everything else

Unknown performance cam, exhaust, and chip (PO said it makes about 25% more power than stock)

Everything works! Even the odometer

The big drawback is the car currently has no front driveshaft. The splines got stripped on it and it was taken out and never put back in. Its concerning, but I paid so little for the car that even if the transfer case also has to be replaced I'll still be ahead. Theres also rust, but its pretty minimal for a midwest winter car and will be redone when I can afford it (poor college kid) but overall I'm extremely pleased with my first BMW 

I'll get some better pictures up once I clean the hell out of it and wax it this weekend. 

What it replaced

IMG_3295_zpsc0a12a05.jpg

And the iX:

IMG_3657_zpsa7fabb51.jpg

IMG_3660_zps549684b0.jpg

And an Instagram one for the lulz:

IMG_3658_zps24fc5435.jpg

• 3 months later...

Not much has changed lately, just trying to get a lot of little things sorted out before winter comes. A few weeks ago I thoroughly washed, clay barred, polished, and put 2 coats of wax on the car. The before/after transformation of the paint was amazing, a lot of the shine came back and the paint is amazingly smooth. I spend nearly 5 hours on everything but it was well worth the effort. Its difficult to show in pictures but here are some anyway, not too bad for the original paint. 

null_zpsd9448861.jpg

null_zpsfceb2312.jpg

I also came across some E36s is a scrapyard here last week and decided to try the E36 window switch conversion. It ended up costing me about $15 in switches and bezels and took about an hour to solder. I'm pretty happy with how they look in the car and they're so much better to use than the factory ones. 

IMG_4124_zpsdbad43fe.jpg

IMG_4123_zpsfe19194d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...