WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The build thread for my $1,000 E36

suspenceful

Not exactly his fault, rim company's.

Ehh, I beg to differ but I don't think it's his fault either.  I have not had a problem with the K1's on my Miata for over 5 years and they have been abused like no other.  I know a friend in CA who beats the crap out of his M3 on the track with K1's, no problem.  Also, a local guy has had them on his M3 for years, again, without a problem.

Not sure if it's because of how these were powdercoated or what, but either way it sucks.  Hopefully I can find a replacement.

Should have kept the LTW's sir=)

I liked them, but I like the K1's much better.  Plus, who doesn't want matching rims on both of their cars? :)

I did some research on this a few weeks back and apparently the annealing that happens to aluminum at even the low temperatures of powder coating can change the strength/brittleness. Especially forged wheels that are relying on the strength of the material vs the amount of material.  I don't think PC on most stock/beefy wheels is much of a problem though. 

• 1 month later...

I did some research on this a few weeks back and apparently the annealing that happens to aluminum at even the low temperatures of powder coating can change the strength/brittleness. Especially forged wheels that are relying on the strength of the material vs the amount of material. I don't think PC on most stock/beefy wheels is much of a problem though.

Didn't know about this, I got this set from Enthusiast Auto in Cincinnati already powder coated because I didn't want to pay the extra $1000 for the Contours. Ended costing me in the long run because I had two crack on me at the same time, replaced them (including powder coat paint) only to have another crack on me. Ordered another and tried to get it powder coated again by Alloy Wheel Repair, they suggested I sell them because my car has too much power for them (something about them not flexing the way BBS or OZ do) so they crack under pressure. They didn't mention anything about the wheels weakening because of the baking process with powder coat.

Now I just don't trust Kosei