WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e21 motor swap project

kyletime666

details...details.... i bought the car with the intention of getting it running and driving, after realizing how mechanically fucked up it was decided to build and swap a big block into it, then had a tube chassis built. then realized there is little to no aftermarket suspension to handle that motor, i am now building a swing arm/ a arm style front end.  the firewall has been pushed back 5 inches, roll cage installed, straight axle rear end. i just plan on driving the hell out of it, maybe some track stuff.

It's definitely not a big block. I can tell just by looking at the xhaust manifold. This is a small block. Probably a 400CI.

Here's the difference:

small block, the 2 middle exhaust ports are toghether/really close

ctrp_0812_01_z+limited_late_model+small_

Big block, the ports are evenly spaced.

427rat.jpg

Not trying to be an asshole, just clarifying. None the less this is a cool build.

I'm also a chevy guy. I owned a 1976 Chevy C10 stepside with a 406CI stroker motor. prostock cams, built up valvetrain, billet crank, custom cam, etc.

In for this though :)

It's definitely not a big block. I can tell just by looking at the xhaust manifold. This is a small block. Probably a 400CI.

Here's the difference:

small block, the 2 middle exhaust ports are toghether/really close

ctrp_0812_01_z+limited_late_model+small_

Big block, the ports are evenly spaced.

427rat.jpg

Not trying to be an asshole, just clarifying. None the less this is a cool build.

I'm also a chevy guy. I owned a 1976 Chevy C10 stepside with a 406CI stroker motor. prostock cams, built up valvetrain, billet crank, custom cam, etc.

In for this though :)

I am aware of all these things. I build engines for a living and have worked in an engine shop for ten years. It is not a Chevy. What you are saying about Chevy small and big blocks is correct. It is a gm and the brand of gm it is, it is considered a big block. I chose this because of the downward facing exhaust ports.

Earl, you can restate your same comment all you want. But when most people say a GM/GENERAL MOTORS "big block V8" Everyone goes, GMC/CHEVY. The pontiac route is rarely gone over. So yeah, I'll accept I was wrong. But just because he's done motors for 10 years, doesn't mean he's always right.

An anyone from the SBC/BBC area could have made the same mistake I did. Because that's what most GM SBC's look like.

Earl, you can restate your same comment all you want. But when most people say a GM/GENERAL MOTORS "big block V8" Everyone goes, GMC/CHEVY. The pontiac route is rarely gone over. So yeah, I'll accept I was wrong. But just because he's done motors for 10 years, doesn't mean he's always right.

An anyone from the SBC/BBC area could have made the same mistake I did. Because that's what most GM SBC's look like.

thats why I chose this motor. Super rare. Never been done, torque out of the ass, and the downward facing exhaust was Perfect for this car.