WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Euro 528i back from the dead!

YoungCR

So while buying parts for my eta I ended up acquiring another E28...  :huh: I'm starting to think I'm slightly crazy when it comes to these cars lol. Anyways it was a good deal that I couldn't not pass up in my eyes.

The car is a 1985 528i which is a German spec car. Don't remember the whole story but I believe it was imported into Canada and then sold to a guy in northern Wisconsin which is where PointofDeparture picked it up, still need to get the documentation from him.

Basically the car looked like this.

post-2724-0-77457700-1372011377_thumb.jp

Then it was involved in a head on collision with a deer.

post-2724-0-45346400-1372011401_thumb.jp

Then it was parted out and I eventually ended up buying the car piece by piece minus all the rare euro parts. This is from the night in late November when Brian and I brought her out to Colgate.

post-2724-0-60422900-1372011423_thumb.jp

And this is where I'd like to take it eventually  :cool:

post-2724-0-24968200-1372011444_thumb.jp

Tomorrow will be the first time working on the car. Rampelsauce has been kind enough to tack up the core support for me, so I'll be trailering the car out to work in the morning. Maybe we'll see the engine in next week if I can borrow a lift. Won't be running though as I don't have a radiator or distributor. I'm sure other things are missing too not to mention it hasn't run in 5 years so we'll see!

If I can get this running easily then it will be my track car/weekend driver for meets while my 528e is going through its restoration rebuild. If I can't hack it together without spending $$ then I'll sideline this like I initially planned. This could represent a car again very soon though! Another reason for throwing it together spontaneously is it will be less to move next month if the parts are on the car! I'll post up some progress pics tomorrow night.

Chris, 

Let me know if you need some parts as I believe that is an M30 engine. I have or will have plenty of random parts from under the hood.

I will! Lots of random stuff missing from the car, but I got myself into this mess lol. Might be able to use my super eta harness on this bad boy also need a radiator and distributor. I'll have a better idea of what I need when the engine is in.

Can't wait to see this beast again! Loving my euro comfort interior btw. :3

Chris won't be running an M30, he's got allll M20's!

FU Brian I want the interior back and my M20 will kick your M30's ass any day :D

9.3:1 compression ratio ... it makes some power for sure 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M30

Yup and the hottest factory cam!

FYI   I took a quick peek at this thing during lunchtime, im excited to see it take shape

"I bet at some point a German sat in that car and said sheista" lol quote from snap via rampelsauce

Now to the pictures! Didnt get it welded up last night as I realized I was kinda unprepared  :huh: I will bring in the hood and fenders tomorrow so I can make sure the core support is in the right position because I didn't want to guess and be wrong! It wasn't as ready to be welded in as I thought, as you can see from the pic below I had some overlapping metal.

Took me about 45 minutes to load this thing onto a trailer by myself in the pouring rain :( Didn't realize the parking break was on too lol, would have spead up the loading process!

post-2724-0-60966500-1365739686_thumb.jp

Earl and Brian will be jealous of my mad tuck! Might even be the lowest on the forum  :lol: lol this is my "static" 2x4 suspension setup from when we trailered the car the first time. Still need to transfer the rear suspension from my parts car.

post-2724-0-91923200-1365739815_thumb.jp

So the work begins! Mounted up the core support for the first time and realized that the body needed some trimming for fitment on the driver's side. These are the cut lines I drew out.

post-2724-0-96922900-1365739887_thumb.jp

Test fitment after cutting. Much better but I still had no way of telling if it would be accurate or not. I will be mocking up the front end tomorrow with the fenders and hood so I know exactly where the core support should sit.

post-2724-0-30818100-1365739991_thumb.jp

Figured since the welding wasn't gonna happen, I'd remounted the driver's door. Its not on perfect but it shuts.

post-2724-0-37256400-1365740133_thumb.jp

So we'll see where we get tomorrow night! I'm loving working on my own projects again  :D

Still bragging about your cut springs? Haha sorry, I had to.

LOL, sorry boy.

I'm not spending shit ton of money, on coil overs that are complete trash, and don't get you low enough. Also, just about every E28 on S|W that isn't bagged, is on cut coils of some sort. So, while everyone else might think your comment is, cheeky and funny.

It's actually a pretty fuckin' common thing among E28 owners. Sorry we don't have a plethora of coil over options.

And I love the ride of my car. It's the same as it was prior to cutting it, comfy. Only time I notice a difference is when I'm cornering. ;) Don't worry though TJ, I got plans up my sleeve once I get my bills paid off, and can spend the extra cash flow.

Still bragging about your cut springs? Haha sorry, I had to.

We'll I got no springs lol, stepping up the game!

I'm still lower. unless those are 14" rims. My rim sits dead even with my fender.

14" wheels :P I'll have to measure how low the fram sits for bragging rights lol

Why does it look like there are two locks on the door? Keep up the good work Chris.

Sorry I didn't see this before Earl! The second key hole is for the Euro Alarm System. I hope to get it working down the road. For those of you that have seen Chuck's E30 touring he has the same thing.