WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

• 1 month later...

Dropped the rear an inch so Earl can start talking to me again!  Lol.

I've been driving it a lot and not taking many pictures.  I think I have about 350 miles on it so far.  Speedo gears are broken so there's that.

Oil has been changed once after initial start/warm up, around 30 miles and again around 150 miles. 

Added a moroso vacuum pump that I'm starting to learn and work the bugs out of.  If I took it for a track day I feel the catch can would fill up and overflow in 20 mins in high RPMs.

"The Black Pearl" does grip and go and is a blast to drive.  Can't wait to get the tune sorted out with a "new" ECU.  The current one locked out after one flash when it was on the dyno.

Burning gas,

DrLeadFoot

20180504_132225.jpg

21 minutes ago, Daggerty said:

Is there a reason for the ecu locking out? I've never ls'd before.

"I've never seen that happen before" is the famous phrase that has unwillingly attached itself to me.  Jesse at Late Model Throttle said the same thing and he can tune LS motors in his sleep.  No clue.

7 minutes ago, DrLeadFoot said:

"I've never seen that happen before" is the famous phrase that has unwillingly attached itself to me.  Jesse at Late Model Throttle said the same thing and he can tune LS motors in his sleep.  No clue.

That is unfortunate. I Recently just spent 1400 on an ecu so I feel your pain. 

So this means it's going to be on the dyno again?

20 hours ago, DrLeadFoot said:

I bought a used one for $70.00 and have a message into Late Model Throttle to schedule an appointment.  The chevy life isn't too bad!

^This.

I get Speedway, Summit, etc catalogs in the mail. Looking at the prices of aftermarket engine components will make you cry. Stroker cranks, cams, rods, pistons, heads.... You could build a 450hp engine with mountains of torque for the price of a used s52...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A window down, music up day in the Black Pearl lead to the front left speaker blowing.  I'd amassed parts to ad 12awg speaker wire and ditch the amalgamation of smaller wire and crimp connectors.

Crimped and soldered the connectors. 

After the Alpine Type S 5.25 speakers were installed and all was wired back up I "tuned" the amps best I could.  The reggae jams are alive once again! 

20180817_103553.jpg

20180817_104119.jpg

20180817_103602.jpg

• 3 weeks later...