WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

I was referring to them as wheels long before vapes=) Just because industry used a term incorrectly doesn't mean that it is now acceptable. We are talking an assembly versus a component of the assembly here. That's like calling a light bulb a filament. 

I was referring to them as wheels long before vapes=) Just because industry used a term incorrectly doesn't mean that it is now acceptable. We are talking an assembly versus a component of the assembly here. That's like calling a light bulb a filament.

I'm not following you... Because the industry that uses the product has historically called it something (has for YEARS and still does) - we shouldnt because you don't like it? :P

You're partially correct - we are talking assembly components: A wheel assembly is made of a rim, tire, valve stem, etc...

This is normally the time when someone chimes in with the "but da rim iz da edge - R u stuped?!?". The edge of a cylindrical object can be a rim (edge) however in the context of a wheel assembly it's a lip (a rim can be a 1-2-or-3 piece assembly of a barrel/face/lip).

I've got bill of materials at work with Alcoa rims (from 30+ years ago through today) that call them rims - just because the current trend of today is to hate the term doesn't make it wrong.

post-2784-0-75219700-1436455655_thumb.jp

The complete assembly minus the tire is called a wheel. Calling it a rim is like calling a car by one of its body parts ("hey if you want to drive my fender sometime, feel free") It just sounds ridiculous and just because so many have been calling it that for decades, it still doesn't make it right.

That's the diagram I should have used=) Technically in a multipiece wheel, the lip and barrel would be the "rim". It is really a preference situation now since it has been misused so much.

I'm not saying rim isn't correct now due to industry but it was used incorrectly for so long that it became correct/acceptable.

People still use ain't even though it is not a word. That is similar to the wheel versus rim debate in my mind. 

Edit: Also Wikipedia states the same so it is the gospel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rim_(wheel)