WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

06 325i Rear Wheel Bearing???

Snyperx

Question

Hi all!! Its been awhile. So I was driving home the other day and heard a "whrrrrr" sound coming from the back end of my car. It seemed to change pitch with speed and was most noticeable at around 40 mph. My initial diagnosis is a rear wheel bearing. The rear diff should be good considering I just did the fluid in that back in October using Redline. The car is about to click to 85k miles. If it is a bearing, does anyone on here happen to have the BMW tool for working on the rear bearings? Would be willing to pay to rent it for a weekend.  Thanks gang!!

16 answers to this question

If it is a wheel bearing it should get quieter when weight is off that wheel. For example if the left bearing is bad, the sound will get less prominent when turning left. Unevenly worn tires can make noise like you are describing as well, especially if your running snow tires.

If it is a wheel bearing it should get quieter when weight is off that wheel. For example if the left bearing is bad, the sound will get less prominent when turning left. Unevenly worn tires can make noise like you are describing as well, especially if your running snow tires.

Also, with it getting warmer out, the snow tires will make more of a whurring noise...  Didn't even think of that till you mentioned it TJ, good call!

Well when I went to pick the kiddos up from school today I kinda weaved back and forth on the road at about 55. You could really hear the "whrrr" sound when I would turn the wheel to the right. I was going to put the Summer tires back on and see if their is a difference. It is just odd that it seemed to start in the last week. I had not noticed the sound up until then.

Guest 92e36

Another way to check the wheel bearing is if you Jack the one side up off the ground grab the tire and if you can move it up and down or side to side that's a good way to make sure that it is the wheel bearing.

UPDATE: Well I swapped my Winter tires for the Summer tires. During that process before taking the wheel off I grabbed each wheel at 12/6 and 9/3 and push/pulled at each position. The rear passenger wheel had a bit of play in it. Specifically it had play if I push/pulled from the 12 o'clock position.

Would it be safe to assume that I have found my bad wheel bearing in the rear passenger side??

If you're gunna do both, prepare for a day or two (pending on how hardcore you wanna be) of the car to be down. I normally take awhile on my own car, cause I'm a pussy. But when it comes to working on other peoples cars, I can fly through stuff. But doing 2 wheel bearings, (depending on your mechanical/hands on level) can take a while.. So if you have a back up vehicle for DD/grabbing parts. That'd be super helpful!

=]

If you're gunna do both, prepare for a day or two (pending on how hardcore you wanna be) of the car to be down. I normally take awhile on my own car, cause I'm a pussy. But when it comes to working on other peoples cars, I can fly through stuff. But doing 2 wheel bearings, (depending on your mechanical/hands on level) can take a while.. So if you have a back up vehicle for DD/grabbing parts. That'd be super helpful!

=]

I am planning on 6 -8 hours for both bearings. I do have access to a full hoist and tools, so that will be helpful. I will have all the parts pre-ordered and available. I am ordering 2 bearings, collar nuts, and clips. I may buy a couple of extra bolts for the half shafts just in case.