WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e34 Touring

straight6pwr

another nice saturday means another project done.

installed my George Graves USB charging port. Great product. (you can find them on r3v)

install instructions plus my diagrams from the ETM. you can use the ACC wire from the radio, but i didnt want to fuss with pulling the radio. when i did my 5 speed swap i ended up with the x511 connector (from the auto trans shifter) free under the shift console, so i looked up which pins might work there. Pin 1 is hot in run and start (perfect), and pin 3 was grounded. Pin 5 was possibly a ground in the ETM (i'm a little slow comprehending the ETM), but there was no wire there on the car.

RKuVqQM.jpg

my x511 adapter harness (which has my reverse light wires at pin 6/7) and the new pin 1/3 wires added. (top right, and top middle)

OWVLGsD.jpg

the USB port comes installed into a factory switch blank (he was nice enough to use an e34 one for me). now i have my AUX input and charger together.

CdymH45.jpg

• 1 month later...

all prepped for valley pan weekend.  hopefully i can finish in one day, but its a tedious project. the entire intake manifold has to come off, along with all the motor electronics and a bunch of cooling pipes/hoses. i have a leak at the back of the pan that has gone from 'smell a little coolant' to 'dump a little pile of coolant after a drive/top off every week' in the last 6 months. i was just holding out for spring to get er done.

of course its supposed to friggan rain all day tomorrow...so i have planned something to maybe help. probably still freeze my balls off. 

sfzkbaa.jpg

doing a bunch of 'while you're in there' items.  resealing everything i am taking apart, as well as upgrading to the b40 intake manifold and throttle body.

box 'o' parts include, but not limited to, new ccv, new intake seals, new water pipe gaskets, new hoses, new hardware, valley pan. yes, that is one single URO part, but its just a plastic cover so i am happy to buy that crap and save 10 bucks.

oQYwU55.jpg

b40 intake and throttle body. it has much bigger runners, larger internal volume, and bigger throttle size, so most report a broader power band.  the b30 really falls off at 4k rpms, hoping this will help.

7CGKiCt.jpg

new seals in place ready for install.
Ko8jLxj.jpg

but would you have searched ebay to find out the going rate for said service before agreeing on a price... or is there a difference between goods and services there...?

Don't mind me, I'm still a bit sour about a valance I tried to buy recently, but on an (un)related note, I'm still curious what you ended up getting for that M42...

5 hours ago, HipMF said:

but would you have searched ebay to find out the going rate for said service before agreeing on a price... or is there a difference between goods and services there...?

Don't mind me, I'm still a bit sour about a valance I tried to buy recently, but on an (un)related note, I'm still curious what you ended up getting for that M42...

wrong thread?

wrong thread?

That detective, is the right question

aaaand done. time estimates were pretty close for a first-timer, about 12 hours. would have been less if not battling the weather.  still have to do a couple more rounds of coolant top off for the bleeding, but she fired up and no check engine light or leaks that i could find. 

ran into a couple issues, but nothing terrible. injectors would not come out of the manifold, they were breaking clips and coming out of the fuel rail instead, so had to deal with fuel draining/cleanup. the bolts holding onto the valley pan were corroded as hell, no way to reuse them so had to get new hardware. lots of the plastic (clips and such) was very brittle so many replacement zip ties were used.

battling the wind and rain! tarp deployed to cover electrical bits from slidewayz rain. look close and you can see i anchored the center of the canopy to the roof rack and tied the hood to the canopy so it wouldnt slam on my head.

OUrDIc8.jpg

once i got it there, i found it was pretty gross. coolant, oil, sludge, leaves.  not a terrible amount of carbon in the ports, though!

oIldv2Q.jpg

yeah, there was not much left of the gasket. corroded to hell valley pan bolts.

gTW2TRQ.jpg

cleaned up the gasket surface.

vYtfXKn.jpg

new pan in. i'm not earl, so the rest of the mess can stay. i replaced a lot of stuff as preventative while i was in there, but i left the old knock sensors in place: let $200 sleeping bears lie.

qSFjqaW.jpg

instead of pulling the water pump, i wend the other route and pulled the rear cross-over pipe.  new o-rings and gaskets in place:

LLbgMMk.jpg

new o-rings on the water pump side as well.

niocQJi.jpg

valley pan cover, water pipes, crossover pipe back into place. theres actually quite a bit of room at the back of the motor to do the crossover pipe.

mc47cqw.jpg

new 4.0 intake manifold/throttle body in place.  injectors cleaned and ready for new o-rings.

iCV1vtN.jpg

and done!

CDshxrl.jpg

report on any engine improvements tomorrow...

So you buy a gallon on the Internet for $23, distilled water for $1. It costs like $12 a gallon, (makes two gallons) what does the green stuff cost? $8 a gallon? Spend your remaining $8 on more crack.

Dan, car looks great as always. I don't think I'd have the patience to do what you've done outside in the rain. You're more manly than I

thanks, mitch, although i don't know if its patience or stubbornness.

and amen to green. have never seen any harmful effects from not using the BMW gold-impregnated stuff. i think brian hit the nail on the head. you have to order online, go buy distilled water, get a container to mix it in, blah blah blah what a bunch of time wasted when you can just go to the store down the street, grab the bottle and pour it in.