WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e34 Touring

straight6pwr

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

oh hey..after a minor economic boom..the budget for 2015 is favorable.  going to start updating this thread with the next round of upgrades.

some of you noticed the parts car and the 5 speed that will be put in the touring, so thats the biggest change to come.

lets call it - campaign sticks, grips, and limited slips.

first thing done on the 5 speed front:  LSD

Matt (jawa) was nice enough to scour a yard in his part of the state and by running vins over the phone, we were able to determine that one of the m50 e34s had an LSD, so he grabbed it for me. its a fairly hard to find 3.23LSD. generally, m60b30 manuals are paired with 3.07s, so this should give a nice little bump in acceleration.

I got all the seals replaced (both output seals on each side, cover gasket, and speed sensor o-ring.) I skipped the input shaft seal because it requires preload measuring, although some say you can just score the nut and return it to the exact position, I don't want to risk it for the moment so I left it be. if it leaks I'll pop it back off and do it.  Brian powdercoated the cover for me, I picked blue for shits and gigs. It will be receiving Redline 75w90 right before install.

8FOK5qb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So the 5 speed swap is scheduled,  between next week thursday and sunday (23rd-26th) I will attempt to get the whole job done. Anyone who wants to come watch me do some transmission wrestling, let me know. i will have beer.

Also, if someone has a nice 3-ton jack, and would be willing to lend it for those days,  I'd love to borrow it. I bought a 1.5 ton from harbor freight and its a damn puss. It lifted the stripped parts car fine, but when I used it on the touring the other day, it felt like it would break under the weight.