WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e34 Touring

straight6pwr

I guess that now its almost spring and some projects are finally getting done, I should start a thread for my new car.

1994 530iT

Granitsilber

Black interior

Heres the dealer photos and how she looked the day I picked her up back in September of last year.  Bone stock, 93k miles.  $5,700 advertised. LOL silly used car dealers, I payed them less than 4k. It has some hail dents and that nasty dent in the tailgate but other than that is very straight and clean.

73197561.jpg

99680784.jpg

36168285.jpg

70430105.jpg

18342585.jpg

Of course she will get the standard slightly modified OEM touches found on my e30s of the past.

i will post the projects from the past months, but currently I am working on the cars 2nd bixenon retrofit (not 100% happy with the first). Its the FX-r projectors from theretrofitsource with philips 85122+ bulbs and 50w ballasts. its really frickin bright!  here is my test fire from today. notice those two slightly orangish blobs on the wall, those are the stock headlights (and this is only one bulb of the new set!)

bothh.jpg

Thing looks nice! Price is steep as hell though.. you could have snagged a nice E46 for that price.. or an E39. =\

None the less. I can't wait for your OEM+ look to be added Dan!

Looking at the mileage and being rust free, that price is what I would pay=) Just wish they were available in manual=(

dont be silly guys, re-read the first post. i payed 3,900 for it.  market value was probably more like 3,600 for this car, but it was the only one in the entire damn state so i talked them down best i could.

the salesmen had a boner for the low miles, so he wouldnt budge lower.

i could have gotten a similar e34 sedan for prob 1k less, but than i wouldn't be able to get groceries.

dont be silly guys, re-read the first post. i payed 3,900 for it.  market value was probably more like 3,600 for this car, but it was the only one in the entire damn state so i talked them down best i could.

i could have gotten a similar e34 sedan for prob 1k less, but than i wouldn't be able to get groceries.

That's a better price. now theres a 525iT on CL for like $1700. I'd totally get it. But I like the E30 touring a hair more..  =\

dont be silly guys, re-read the first post. i payed 3,900 for it. market value was probably more like 3,600 for this car, but it was the only one in the entire damn state so i talked them down best i could.

That's a better price. now theres a 525iT on CL for like $1700. I'd totally get it. But I like the E30 touring a hair more.. =

I might be literally getting this

finished the bixenon retrofit today!

Hack up euro smoked headlights and fit new projector:

post1lv.jpg

Seal up projector and get all the adapters/plugs in place: (high beam adapter, high beam splitter, HID ballast, and euro city light plug)

post2ob.jpg

Tear down e34 front end and install wire harness (has to be wired across the front where the factory wiring crosses)

post3p.jpg

Install lights

post4f.jpg

All in all, easier the third time around but still time consuming and the v8 e34 makes it a pain in the ass. I'm about to throw the remote booster into lake michigan.

The output is great and 4 high beams is fantastic. With the 55w ballasts and philips 85122+ bulbs the output color is barely whiter than stock halogens, which i love.

also added are the smoked turn signals

i have to report that my sealing/venting job worked much better this time.  no water in the headlights with them off and went through an automated carwash...awesome...only a little fogging inside while running the lights in some wet snow/light rain, which cleared up quickly after the lights were turned off. hopefully the seal will last.

also, i ordered some early model e34 side mirrors (they look like the e30 mirrors) to replace the ugly giant square mirrors that came on the later cars.

• 2 weeks later...

great improvements! A friend of mine used plasti-dip to shadowline his car. I know its the popular paint to use, but he ended up with bad results. It didnt stick very long. What did you do for prep on the trim? Just a de-grease and a scuff with some scotch brite?

we will see how long it lasts. i scuffed lightly with a scotch brite, yes.  i did in on my early e30 way back when, but only had it for a year (no problems in a year though).  out of the 3 choices i liked plastidip the best because real trim paint or tape are much harder to fix in the event that they go bad or get damaged. with plastidip you can just respray right over the old stuff or peel it off fast, no prep needed.

How many coats did you do ? and did you razor blade the edge so you didn't tear the plasti-dip when removing the tape ?

I am doing this soon...

5 coats, and yes you have to razor blade in areas where the tape comes close to the trim or you will peel it all away. its not like regular paint where you just tear the tape of in joy/aggression, you have to take your time. its easy to rub off after you first do it, but now that its cured i tried rubbing it and it was solid.

• 4 weeks later...

replaced front thrust and control arms yesterday. pretty straight forward except i dont know how people fit the 22mm box wrench on the nut near the front crossmember. i refused to modify my snap on 22mm so i cut up an old generic 7/8 to make it fit, and it worked like a charm.

i was in a hurry so i kept forgetting to take pictures.  heres the modified wrench:
wrench1c.jpg

and heres the steering plate.  for the e34, its bolted to the bottom of the front strut assembly, then the control arms/tie rods are bolted to it. easiest procedure is remove tie rod, remove control arms from car, then remove steering plate.  bring the plate to your bench vise and hammer the ball joints out with your fork and reassemble.

steeringplate2.jpg