WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

The last job I was on satisfied the inner child in me watching cool trailers and big rolling cranes do their job.
Lifted a new section of machine (100,000 lbs) into a mill using a 350 ton crane, then skated it into the building and picked it with the 50 ton house crane.
I was playing erection supervisor / mechanical advisor for this job which is a little different than what I am used to considering this was a full tear out and replacement of the old section of machine, but it was a solid project overall. 

image.png

image.png

Shortly after lifting it, the overhead crane stopped responding to all controls, with millions of dollars of equipment hanging out 15ft in the air. After an hour and a half it just started working again, so it was quickly set and that crane was not used again.

image.png

I didn't get a good photo of the finished machine, but here's one from the backside.

image.png

On 6/7/2021 at 11:32 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

The last job I was on satisfied the inner child in me watching cool trailers and big rolling cranes do their job.
Lifted a new section of machine (100,000 lbs) into a mill using a 350 ton crane, then skated it into the building and picked it with the 50 ton house crane.
I was playing erection supervisor / mechanical advisor for this job which is a little different than what I am used to considering this was a full tear out and replacement of the old section of machine, but it was a solid project overall.

That's what she said.

• 4 weeks later...

This past weekend we had 2 of my wife's friends stay at the house with their kids and husbands.  On Saturday the girls went to get their nails done and go to a beer garden in Waukesha and they took the M3.  When they got back my wife said her friends need to drive the car but were "afraid" so I spent the rest of the day egging them on.  On Sunday one of the girls was ready so I threw her in the drivers seat and we went for a drive.  She eventually fell in love with it and spent the rest of the weekend asking to drive it anywhere so we put a few more miles on it.  Her other friend drove it but it was too stressful of an event and she was done after one drive lol.

This is one of the reasons I bought a DCT.  I love handing my keys to someone and letting them rip!  It's even more fun when they've never really driven a sports car.  With a 6 speed there is a barrier to entry that scares people away.  You have to want to drive a manual trans AND have one available to learn on.  The DCT is a terrible automatic but the fact it can shift on it's own takes one barrier down.  

It also made me think about why these girls were "afraid" to drive my car.  They kept saying they're afraid they'd hurt the car.  It made me ask more then we got to the root.  They know how much I love the car and they don't want to be responsible for disappointing me.  Also, the perception that it's a terribly expensive car if something did get damaged scared them.  I had to go above and beyond to assure them it's a car, I have insurance and they can't hurt it.  I took them for a drive and they saw how I drive.  They won't be harder on it than I already am.

This also reminds me that it just takes once to get someone hooked.  One time behind the wheel to spark something you didn't know you had in you.  It's one thing to always be a passenger and enjoy a ride but to have the opportunity to push the pedal and control the noises coming out of the exhaust pipe is a whole different experience.  The friend who enjoyed it spent the rest of the weekend asking me about how to get into a car of her own like this and convincing her husband that it's do-able.

TL;DR - Don't be a dick.  Share the keys.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

I sold my F30. I’ll be back in a BMW as a daily some day, but it was time to try something else as I’ve driven a lowered BMW for 8 years. Going to hopefully purchase an F150 on Saturday. Will be really nice to transport mopeds and other track items to Road America and general utility.

Such a solid looking rig, how many miles did you end up putting on that bad boy? 
What year F150? 
Details my guy!

3 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Such a solid looking rig, how many miles did you end up putting on that bad boy? 
What year F150? 
Details my guy!

I put a tick over 50K miles on it over the almost 4 years I owned it. Driving back and forth to Fond du Lac for my old job from Appleton will do that. I really don't think you can buy a better car for the money and I loved being in it every time I drove it. Car gave me almost zero trouble during the time I owned it. Sad to see it go but it went to some one who I believe will take care of it.

I will provide more details and pictures of the truck after I pick it up on Saturday, but it's a 2018 F150 XLT.

IMG_0686.JPG

Next week I will be in Mexico driving Baja Challenge trucks along sections of the Baja 1000 and 500!  It's two days worth of driving through the desert in the actual Baja Challenge trucks used for racing.  I've never done something like this so I'm pretty excited!  The video below is the exact route and places I'm staying while we're on the trip.

7 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Next week I will be in Mexico driving Baja Challenge trucks along sections of the Baja 1000 and 500!  It's two days worth of driving through the desert in the actual Baja Challenge trucks used for racing.  I've never done something like this so I'm pretty excited!  The video below is the exact route and places I'm staying while we're on the trip.

Sounds rad! If you need any help with that let me know. I know a guy.

Has anyone had an RMS that was leaking and then stopped? Over the winter the RMS started seeping a bit. Would leave a couple drips on the floor. I've driven the car for a couple days last week. No leaks while sitting at work for the day. Thursday night it left one little spot maybe the size of a quarter on the driveway. Drove it to work on Friday and parked it in the garage. As of last night, not a single spot under it. I can see a little residue by the weep hole, but it's not dripping. 

I have an appointment on Wednesday to have it replaced and now I'm thinking if I should save the $600 it was going to be and do it myself at the end of the season. 

On 8/4/2021 at 6:47 AM, SteelBlue said:

Thankfully, Mr. @patsbimmer1 will be sourcing me aftermarket housings.

Does The Retrofit source have anything? 
If not, I'd be down to build some high performing headlights for you! 

On 8/4/2021 at 12:36 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

Next week I will be in Mexico driving Baja Challenge trucks along sections of the Baja 1000 and 500! 

More details on how you are doing this please, I have always found these vehicles impressive and would love to get a bit more involved with them! 

5 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Has anyone had an RMS that was leaking and then stopped? Over the winter the RMS started seeping a bit. Would leave a couple drips on the floor. I've driven the car for a couple days last week. No leaks while sitting at work for the day. Thursday night it left one little spot maybe the size of a quarter on the driveway. Drove it to work on Friday and parked it in the garage. As of last night, not a single spot under it. I can see a little residue by the weep hole, but it's not dripping. 

I have an appointment on Wednesday to have it replaced and now I'm thinking if I should save the $600 it was going to be and do it myself at the end of the season. 

it seems within reason that the seal could have shrunk if the car was not run for months. i have never seen it with an RMS, though.

the valve covers on my s50 do this over winter storage. they shrink up in the cold, leak like a sieve when the car comes out, then are fine after some driving/idling.

i'd probably 'wait and see' being that the downside is just a couple drips of oil on the ground and nothing worse.

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

it seems within reason that the seal could have shrunk if the car was not run for months. i have never seen it with an RMS, though.

the valve covers on my s50 do this over winter storage. they shrink up in the cold, leak like a sieve when the car comes out, then are fine after some driving/idling.

i'd probably 'wait and see' being that the downside is just a couple drips of oil on the ground and nothing worse.

That’s what I’ve read on the internet. Some people say it happens and some say once it’s leaking it’s leaking. I think I’ll wait and and drive it some more and see what happens. 

My only complaint is that the drips of oil are on our brand new driveway. lol 

More pictures and videos when I'm back in the country tommorow but in short this trip is fucking awesome!  These trucks are extremely capable and regularly run the Baja 100 and 500.  Today we did 75mph on the beach then hit speeds up to 70mph in the canyons later on after crawling up and down massive ditches and mountain switchbacks.

It's through a company called Wide Open Baja and they are for clients who want a ready made team for Baja.  People like Patrick Dempsey, Will Turner and many more have paid to drive their cars and get the support team.  The support we had following us is the same team that supports the races and these guys fucking rocked!  They also do tours like this for people who want to try the trucks out in more of an adventure setting as opposed to full race.  Here's the truck we've been driving!PXL_20210810_163503168.jpg

PXL_20210810_222437974.jpgPXL_20210811_191417630.jpg

• 4 weeks later...