WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

24 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Welp, long story short this may not happen anymore.  The short of it is I talked to the inspector to take care of the building permit and everything was going swimmingly until the end when he remembered to ask me if I had another accessory building on the property and I said I have a detached garage.  I can't have more than one accessory building on the property and since I have the detached garage I can't have a shed.  I didn't see this until he sent me the 109 page ordinance and pointed me to the specific spot where it says that.  I can expand my 2nd garage to about 1,300 square feet but can't have a 140sq/ft shed.

I did find a new chicken ordinance that would permit me to build a chicken coop with no size limit that doesn't go against my accessory building count and the inspector confirmed that.  After much debate I decided against building a chicken coop since it would give the city permission to come on my property at any time to inspect the animals.

My last option is to plop it in the yard and see what happens but that carries a whole set of risks that I'm not willing to deal with.  The building inspector doesn't know my name or address so I'm not concerned about a surprise pop-in but all it takes is one person in a small town to figure it out, get upset and report me.

City living sucks. Build a lean-to or something.

7 minutes ago, YoungCR said:

I'd slap that up right next to your garage or behind it so it's out of sight. This is why I'm gonna buy land out in the country, where rules don't exist (mostly).

Currently looking at pine tree prices. I will give them credit, they'll let me expand my 2nd garage to 1,300 sq ft on my 1.3 acre lot so I've got that going for me if I've ever got $15k-$20k to blow.  What's annoying is I could park an enclosed trailer in my backyard and park a lawn mower and garden tools in it but a shed... Oh no. That's not permitted.

I work in the Planning and Zoning Department in Menomonee Falls, I know all too well how that goes. In Menomonee Falls we don't limit how many Accessory Structures (sheds, detached garages, etc.) you can have, but limit the total square footage of all accessory structure to 60% of the finished living space of the home on the property. Which in most cases isn't an issue, but we have a lot of ranches here and that can really limit people what they want to do. 

And in Cedarburg it's not restricted to a number, but a lot coverage ratio. In my Zoning District we can have 30% lot coverage - including house and accessory buildings. We have roughly a 13,500sf lot so we can have 4,000 sf of coverage. 

I like how Cedarburg does it better, because if you have a bigger yard, you should be able to have bigger/more buildings on it if you want. I disagree with how Menomonee Falls does it, because what you have a 10 acre yard, but only need a 900sf home because why not? Now your limited to a tiny garage.

That sucks though. I've had to tell a lot of people that they can't do what they want to do because they're house isn't big enough. I don't think it's fair.

Most of these rules are unfair.  They are formed under the guise of protecting people, and usually with good intentions.  Most are usually formed because someone abused the lack of rules and created some sort of eyesore for neighbors.  I get all those points.

The evil libertarian in me says people should be able to do whatever they want on their property, but I also understand that a disturbingly large percentage of the population don't have a considerate bone in their body and have to have those rules to keep them from putting a nuclear disposal site in their back yard.

I'm just glad I have 5 acres in a township that pretty much doesn't care about anything, and neighbors that are all very considerate to each other.

Good luck trying to figure out what to do.

7 minutes ago, REKIII said:

Most of these rules are unfair.  They are formed under the guise of protecting people, and usually with good intentions.  Most are usually formed because someone abused the lack of rules and created some sort of eyesore for neighbors.  I get all those points.

The evil libertarian in me says people should be able to do whatever they want on their property, but I also understand that a disturbingly large percentage of the population don't have a considerate bone in their body and have to have those rules to keep them from putting a nuclear disposal site in their back yard.

I'm just glad I have 5 acres in a township that pretty much doesn't care about anything, and neighbors that are all very considerate to each other.

Good luck trying to figure out what to do.

I'm the same.  I understand the why and the inspector has been great about explaining the history of how the ordinances came about and it exactly was people abusing the rules in the past but for fuck sake if I'm proposing something very reasonable then why not allow me to do it on the little piece of land I pay for.  What's bothersome is they won't even consider a variance because "If we did that we'd have to do that for everyone".  I want to fight and attempt to change policy but I also feel like that'd be a waste of my time and at this point I'm flying under the radar.

For shits and giggles last night I drove around my subdivision and found many examples of people having more than one accessory building which looked just fine because the people that spent that money did it well.  I also found quite a few people who opted for the shed-in-a-box solution with the tarp like walls and it looks like trash.  That's acceptable but a very nice building that matches the landscape of the yard and improves the value of my property is fuckery.

My dad (not exactly an upstanding citizen...) had the same issue, but just built the shed right behind the garage and nailed a 2x4 between them and called it one building. Last time I was back in the old neighborhood both the garage and shed were still standing. I'm not recommending that approach, but a "lean-to" or "carport" might be an option though.

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I'm the same.  I understand the why and the inspector has been great about explaining the history of how the ordinances came about and it exactly was people abusing the rules in the past but for fuck sake if I'm proposing something very reasonable then why not allow me to do it on the little piece of land I pay for.  What's bothersome is they won't even consider a variance because "If we did that we'd have to do that for everyone".  I want to fight and attempt to change policy but I also feel like that'd be a waste of my time and at this point I'm flying under the radar.

For shits and giggles last night I drove around my subdivision and found many examples of people having more than one accessory building which looked just fine because the people that spent that money did it well.  I also found quite a few people who opted for the shed-in-a-box solution with the tarp like walls and it looks like trash.  That's acceptable but a very nice building that matches the landscape of the yard and improves the value of my property is fuckery.

To be fair - variances are regulated by the State and for a municipality to legally grant a variance they have to prove that it isn't a result of a self-imposed hardship. Wanting a second shed where the current Code says you can't is a self-imposed hardship. 

But you're totally right, the number of people who just build the shed (me included) vastly outnumber those who do it the right way. 

Only speaking from experience - most Trustees, Councilperson, etc. doesn't know what's going on in the community unless someone brings it up. We've changed ordinances multiple times since I've been here because people bring up an issue and it gains traction. 

The other thing that is funny about ours is that 60% rule only regulates detached accessory structures. So if someone has a 900sf house, and they want to build a 3,000sf garage and attach it to the house via a breezeway, that's allowed. Most Zoning Codes are pretty archaic as well and rarely get updated because it is an extensive process to do. 

2 hours ago, gilber33 said:

To be fair - variances are regulated by the State and for a municipality to legally grant a variance they have to prove that it isn't a result of a self-imposed hardship. Wanting a second shed where the current Code says you can't is a self-imposed hardship. 

But you're totally right, the number of people who just build the shed (me included) vastly outnumber those who do it the right way. 

Only speaking from experience - most Trustees, Councilperson, etc. doesn't know what's going on in the community unless someone brings it up. We've changed ordinances multiple times since I've been here because people bring up an issue and it gains traction. 

The other thing that is funny about ours is that 60% rule only regulates detached accessory structures. So if someone has a 900sf house, and they want to build a 3,000sf garage and attach it to the house via a breezeway, that's allowed. Most Zoning Codes are pretty archaic as well and rarely get updated because it is an extensive process to do. 

I appreciate your insight on this.  I didn't realize the variance process was such a pain in the ass.  I figured it was basically asking for a "variance" to the ordinance and was decided by a local committee of tribal elders that gathered around a cauldron and stared at the smoke until the answer presented itself.

16 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I appreciate your insight on this.  I didn't realize the variance process was such a pain in the ass.  I figured it was basically asking for a "variance" to the ordinance and was decided by a local committee of tribal elders that gathered around a cauldron and stared at the smoke until the answer presented itself.

I mean...you're not completely wrong there. It typically is a bunch of old people who have lived in the community forever and feel like this is their calling. The people on our Board probably range in age from 70-85 and have been on it for years and years. 

The law regulating Variances comes from the State, but variance requests go through the local government (Zoning Board of Appeals). They're supposed to follow the laws from the State, but every community is different. I've seen MF grant some variances that in NO WAY should have been allowed and I've seen them deny ones that I thought were super reasonable requests. Some communities don't like doing them because they don't want to set a precedent. If it was me, I'd look to see what variances they've granted in the past few years. 

I have a whole story on this from when we bought our house and being told almost the exact same thing by our building inspector that he told you. I ultimately got what I wanted and didn't have to go through the variance process. 

1 hour ago, gilber33 said:

I've seen MF grant some variances

When I read this as Mother Fuckers it makes the whole thing better.

My dad was on the zoning and planning committee in Mukwonago many years ago and said same as you.  A lot of it came down to how the committee was feeling during that request, was the request reasonable and was the person in front of them a dick.

At this point I'm going to keep my head low and figure the situation out.

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

When I read this as Mother Fuckers it makes the whole thing better.

My dad was on the zoning and planning committee in Mukwonago many years ago and said same as you.  A lot of it came down to how the committee was feeling during that request, was the request reasonable and was the person in front of them a dick.

At this point I'm going to keep my head low and figure the situation out.

I honestly think your better approach would be to go to their office reiterate that you are a taxpayer and you can do whatever you want on your private property. It's something that most public officials rarely hear and easily forget. So if you remind them, that you are a taxpayer and a resident of your community, they'll probably let you do whatever you want. 

If you don't believe me, I recommend watching this documentary that follows the lives of a branch of local government employees - it's called Parks and Rec. Idk if you've heard it before, but look it up. 

17 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

I honestly think your better approach would be to go to their office reiterate that you are a taxpayer and you can do whatever you want on your private property. It's something that most public officials rarely hear and easily forget. So if you remind them, that you are a taxpayer and a resident of your community, they'll probably let you do whatever you want. 

If you don't believe me, I recommend watching this documentary that follows the lives of a branch of local government employees - it's called Parks and Rec. Idk if you've heard it before, but look it up. 

Best advice I've gotten all week.  Hold up while I go remind them who pays their salary.

Haven't been paying much attention to car news, but heard that Hyundai was coming out with a new "mini truck". So disappointed:

2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-bed-with-bike.jp

The bed fit's half a mountain bike... at an angle... I looked it up and the bed of a Subaru Brat was 2 inches wider and 8 inches longer. This is not a truck, it's a hatchback with part of the roof missing.

12 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Haven't been paying much attention to car news, but heard that Hyundai was coming out with a new "mini truck". So disappointed:

The bed fit's half a mountain bike... at an angle... I looked it up and the bed of a Subaru Brat was 2 inches wider and 8 inches longer. This is not a truck, it's a hatchback with part of the roof missing.

"Are you tired of things in your trunk being protected from the elements?!"

image.png

20 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

All it needs now is some zoomies!

😂 I’ll pass it along to the board. There’s actually concern about these being pretty loud already, they’re not known for being the quietest outboard around. 

1 hour ago, YoungCR said:

That looks insane

It’s pretty wild to see them pulling 30-40+ people off of the dock, then going and pulling barefoot pyramids at 40+ mph (the team has two 900hp triple rigs like this). The power makes them crazy versatile. My favorite though is when you end up with this pulling a single 8 y/o around on a ski trainer or something, it’s hilarious. 

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

is that transom going to remove itself from the boat on the first hole shot? 

Man, I hope not. Would be a crappy start to ski season.

In all seriousness though, these boats are built specifically as multi-engine towboats, so they’re pretty well reinforced and don’t have any problems taking the load as long as they’re kept up and aren’t rotted out. The transom itself is probably 4ish inches thick and has half inch aluminum plates reinforcing it on either side as well. A demonstration of what they’re actually capable of pulling:

80 person pyramid:

Barefoot line (pulled at probably 42ish mph):

Fun fact: I’m almost positive both of these records were set in Wisconsin.