WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

1 minute ago, Ryan... said:

Realistically wouldn't be doing much of, if any, track driving. It's just that the LSB E46 has always been near the top of the bucket list.

I agree with you, I LOVE the LSB e46.  It's a car I had hanging on my wall as a kid.  I still want an e46 some day but the e9x just fits my life a lot better right now.

14 minutes ago, GB-335xiCoupe said:

Mine has 210K, and I paid 1100 with a blown radiator, delivered to my door.  Even after that, engine is quiet.  Buy one cheap.  You can get a pretty nice 318ti for not much.  They aren't worth anything.  

EDIT: Didn't notice your auto-tragic troll post.  Oh you.

That white one looks like a nice clean car. I'd say it's a fair price if you can tolerate an auto and beigey-beige interior.

They're as reliable as any other high-mileage 20-year-old car. All depends on maintenance and luck. M42 and M44 are both rated at 138hp. M44 has more low-end torque, which presumable makes it nicer to daily, but it's a real bore when you go to wind it out because nothing much happens. They also added rocker arms and a torture-chamber intake to the M44 which kind of kills the buzzy, raspy, grap-it-by-the-scruff-of-the-neck nature of the older 4-bangers.

Anyways, speaking of beigey-beige, here's what I came here to post:

Tonight we're gonna  party like it's nineteen eighty nine!

cMBF3xI.jpg

Dug the Atari 1040ST out of storage. Mine was manufactured sometime in late 1987. 1 meg of ram, no hard drive, but one of the first PCs to come with a GUI and has MIDI ports built-in standard. Had a project in mind for it, but it doesn't really look like it's going to work. Figured I clean it up and kick it over to see if it still runs. It does. Most amusing part was trying to find "shutdown" in the menu, and then realizing there is no "shutdown", you just turn the power switch off. 👍

3 hours ago, GB-335xiCoupe said:

A true classic that the Smithsonian would probably snap up in a moment.

Maybe. I picked it up back in the early 2000's because I figured vintage computing was going to be a big thing at some point. The Ataris survived a long time in the world of electronic music production because of the built-in MIDI ports, which was something I was interested in at the time. Outside of that niche though, they were never that popular. I'd be lucky to get $100 for this one if I tried to sell it.

The project I've had in mind is wavetable synthesizer similar to the PPG Wave, but based on slightly more modern hardware. I built a software-base wavetable synth for my final project back when I was in school for electronics, so it's really more of a desire to "finish" what I started there than anything "artistic" (ie move highly repetitive, real-time processing off the CPU and on to dedicated hardware, understand and implement fast fourier transform for analyzing sampled sounds and generating wavetables from them, blah, blah, jargon, blah).

Still, they can make some neat sounds (by 1982 standards)...

Wavetable was quickly replaced by newer technologies such as FM, which could make more interesting sounds, required less hardware, and were able to hit the market at a lower price-point. However, I feel like wavetable is a technique that fell by the wayside before it had a chance to be fully developed, and I'm curious to see if there's more that could be done with it.

Unfortunately, the Atari lacks any kind of of expansion slot, which is what I really needed. Still, I might be able to figure something out... I'd like to play with it more, but I need to figure out how to transfer software to it. Hard to find a PC with a floppy drive in 2018... 🤣