WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

18 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I drove my car... is that something that people do anymore or is it only working on cars that don't move that counts?

i drive the e30 everyday. even on project days i sit in the drivers seat and make revving noises,  pretend shift and sometimes drive well enough to win the imaginary autox.

12 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I drove my car... is that something that people do anymore or is it only working on cars that don't move that counts?

I haven't driven the e30 in 8 months... It would take about 45 minutes to get it running, just lost the motivation.

However, I've been looking at the e92 M3, E60 M5, and C63 AMG a lot lately. Girlfriend wants me to buy the AMG, but I keep going back to the BMW offerings. Did you consider any other cars before choosing your M3?

13 hours ago, Ryan... said:

I haven't driven the e30 in 8 months... It would take about 45 minutes to get it running, just lost the motivation.

However, I've been looking at the e92 M3, E60 M5, and C63 AMG a lot lately. Girlfriend wants me to buy the AMG, but I keep going back to the BMW offerings. Did you consider any other cars before choosing your M3?

1st time in 18mo. got to drive Calypso more then 10min.

Does she know any one of these will be a high maintenance mistress?  A 3 pedal M5 would be my choice.

calypso 3c 2018.jpg

1 hour ago, RobZR said:

1st time in 18mo. got to drive Calypso more then 10min.

Does she know any one of these will be a high maintenance mistress?  A 3 pedal M5 would be my choice.

Looks good!

She's been with me through the 911, a terrible 325ic, a terrible Civic and Volvo, another e30, my current Ducati, and almost worst of all, the current Range Rover.
If I bought anything other than a maintenance nightmare she'd probably have me committed for a psychiatric evaluation :D

15 hours ago, Ryan... said:

Briefly but once I drove an M3 it was such a sublime experience I couldn't think of anything else.  The c63 always popped up as an option but it wasn't enough of a drivers car for me.  The M5 sounds great but again, not a drivers car and the thought of owning an s85 v10 was more terrifying than the s65. The SMG in the e60 is also much MUCH worse than the DCT in the e90 which is amazing!  I cross shopped the RS4 but i'm a rwd purist for my fun car.  Again, once I drove an M3 then that was all I could think of.  I recently drove a 997 911 carrera S with a 6spd and it was fun but I didn't walk away from it thinking I was missing anything by not owning one over my M3.  The M3 is that good.  The AMG is a comfy tire burner that goes when you stomp on it but the driving experience isn't nearly what you get from the M3.  It's visceral.  It's always asking for more.  It wants you to step out in a roundabout and rewards you for it.  It's subtle in it's looks but the sound has gotten me plenty of thumbs up and stop light conversations.  I love the "wtf was that?!" When I drive by people.  If I did ot again i'd make the same decision.

Mostly got all of our crap moved into my parent's house.  I wanted to be like other cool Millennials.  Working on selling our house in Iowa.  New job is going good so far.

As a side note my dad picked up a '98 Biarritz Blue E39 wagon.  It only has 85k miles and has never been driven in the winter.  It isn't mint but pretty good, it needs some front end work, the typical loose joints and the plastic is all broken under the bumper.  Runs excellent, only occasional codes for torque converter not locking up, which it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.  It is a premium package, but not cold weather so no heated seats, originally from Palm Beach I think.  

It has a weird slide out floor in the back, I hadn't seen one like that before.  Not exactly sure of the purpose?

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Briefly but once I drove an M3 it was such a sublime experience I couldn't think of anything else.  The c63 always popped up as an option but it wasn't enough of a drivers car for me.  The M5 sounds great but again, not a drivers car and the thought of owning an s85 v10 was more terrifying than the s65. The SMG in the e60 is also much MUCH worse than the DCT in the e90 which is amazing!  I cross shopped the RS4 but i'm a rwd purist for my fun car.  Again, once I drove an M3 then that was all I could think of.  I recently drove a 997 911 carrera S with a 6spd and it was fun but I didn't walk away from it thinking I was missing anything by not owning one over my M3.  The M3 is that good.  The AMG is a comfy tire burner that goes when you stomp on it but the driving experience isn't nearly what you get from the M3.  It's visceral.  It's always asking for more.  It wants you to step out in a roundabout and rewards you for it.  It's subtle in it's looks but the sound has gotten me plenty of thumbs up and stop light conversations.  I love the "wtf was that?!" When I drive by people.  If I did ot again i'd make the same decision.

I forgot that the M3 had the DCT, not the SMG... Do you miss manual shifting or is the DCT good enough to make you not miss it? 

I'll definitely drive multiple cars before picking one, and realistically I wouldn't buy one until next  year anyway so that gives me time. I adored my e39 M5 which is part of the reason the M5/M6 were so appealing, and dat V10...

Yeah its definitely nice to work on the car in the garage or in driveway back away from the street. My driveway had huge chunks kicking up and crumbling everywhere. Could barely snowblow or shovel in the winter and made using jackstands in the driveway a nightmare. I am super stoked to have a nice smooth crack free driveway for sure!

23 hours ago, Ryan... said:

I forgot that the M3 had the DCT, not the SMG... Do you miss manual shifting or is the DCT good enough to make you not miss it? 

I'll definitely drive multiple cars before picking one, and realistically I wouldn't buy one until next  year anyway so that gives me time. I adored my e39 M5 which is part of the reason the M5/M6 were so appealing, and dat V10...

I don't miss it at all.  I thought I might but it's so good that I don't even think about it.  I drive in manual shift almost 99% of the time and the rev matched downshifts make it so incredibly rewarding to drive.  Anyone that gave me any shit about buying the DCT has driven the car and made some remarks about how excellent it is and how it really feels like a manual transmission.  My brother in law is the only one who's driven it, loved it and still said he'd buy a manual because he's a "purist".  It shifts like a manual when you pull the levers and takes off like a manual and the shifts "feel" like a manual because it's a manual transmission with a module strapped on to make the physical gear change.  You're welcome to take mine for a drive if you'd like!

4 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I don't miss it at all.  I thought I might but it's so good that I don't even think about it.  I drive in manual shift almost 99% of the time and the rev matched downshifts make it so incredibly rewarding to drive.  Anyone that gave me any shit about buying the DCT has driven the car and made some remarks about how excellent it is and how it really feels like a manual transmission.  My brother in law is the only one who's driven it, loved it and still said he'd buy a manual because he's a "purist".  It shifts like a manual when you pull the levers and takes off like a manual and the shifts "feel" like a manual because it's a manual transmission with a module strapped on to make the physical gear change.  You're welcome to take mine for a drive if you'd like!

I may have to take you up on that!

Didn't we swap cars briefly way back when, with my 996? Or is my memory failing me in my advanced age?

3 minutes ago, Ryan... said:

I may have to take you up on that!

Didn't we swap cars briefly way back when, with my 996? Or is my memory failing me in my advanced age?

We did after Cars and Coffee in Madison!  I took Matt and you took Chris!  That was when the 335i was running just a fresh e85 mix and a PROcede tune lol.