WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

2 hours ago, B C said:

when he is older and understands how cool that is, it will be even cooler because of how old it will be. Hope it stays intact!

Part of me wanted to leave it in the original package with all the part numbers and such and a larger part of me said fuck it he's a kid and wants his bear.  I kind of want one...

On 6/3/2019 at 6:10 AM, rampelsauce said:

Pulling door handles is easy when your doors are already cardless. 

Also I thought the compact would get louder with the front carpet removed but surprisingly it's only still deafening from the rear end noise. 

The door card is only the beginning.  I don't have door cards and coupe door handles are the worst nightmare of my life.  I would rather drop the rear subframe.

looking for a more experienced opinion just to settle the madness. About 6 weeks ago when the weather was crazy and it would rain then freeze then snow then thaw I was coming around a corner and slid into a curb. Damage now includes a bent rear subframe. So they are going ahead and ordering a used one off of a car that was involved in a front end collision. Would it be worth it for me to get new bushings and have them replace them before they install it? Insurance wont touch the bushings but is covering the subframe. 

Just now, Jdesign said:

I would just replace them. If the car has been sitting for awhile or has a lot of miles on it the bushings probably need to be replaced anyways.

Yea that's what I was thinking just for peace of mind. My car only has 67k but no idea what the donor car is at. I can get them for a good price too, 80 for the set of 4 from Lemforder

13 minutes ago, Nick_F said:

looking for a more experienced opinion just to settle the madness. About 6 weeks ago when the weather was crazy and it would rain then freeze then snow then thaw I was coming around a corner and slid into a curb. Damage now includes a bent rear subframe. So they are going ahead and ordering a used one off of a car that was involved in a front end collision. Would it be worth it for me to get new bushings and have them replace them before they install it? Insurance wont touch the bushings but is covering the subframe. 

Solid or Whiteline rear subframe bushings are a common upgrade for these cars. I would do them while it's out. Doesn't increase NVH from what I've read, but really improves handling.

I don't know if the subframe is anything like an e36 but I have solid aluminum rear subframe "bushings" and delrin differential mount bushings and only at certain times you can hear a faint noise from the differential.  Otherwise no NVH noticeable at all.  The rear feels very solid, highly recommended unless you are an old lady.

Yea from what I have seen people only notice NVH with the diff bushings, so for the subframe I should be fine. I ended up going with the Whitelines so hopefully fingers crossed ill have my car back Thursday next week. Then I can finally get the konis and vogtlands installed.

3 hours ago, Nick_F said:

Yea from what I have seen people only notice NVH with the diff bushings, so for the subframe I should be fine. I ended up going with the Whitelines so hopefully fingers crossed ill have my car back Thursday next week. Then I can finally get the konis and vogtlands installed.

Yea I did solid subframe and differential and still hardly noticed.  I do notice sometimes when the LSD makes noises in tight corners and slight gear whine at certain speeds.  I expected much more NVH especially because half of my interior is missing and it has 300k miles

On 6/6/2019 at 6:55 PM, Nick_F said:

That makes me want to do the diff too while I'm at it

The main thing that improves the driving feel is the subframe bushings because all of the rear suspension is attached to it.  The differential bushings only hold the differential in place but it in no way affects your suspension geometry.  In the e36 worn out bushings allow the differential to twist more and that puts a bending load on the front mounting bolt which eventually breaks it.  I had the bolt break and made my own bushing to replace it instead of buying something.  There are a few pictures in my thread.  It keeps going for several posts.

6 hours ago, Nick_F said:

Well, after too many weeks without my car I finally have it back and it feels great to have it back to its former glory!

So what's your impression of Milwaukee Motorwerks?  They are right down the road from my house and I always have people asking me for a recommendation when I can't get their car in at my house.

23 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

So what's your impression of Milwaukee Motorwerks?  They are right down the road from my house and I always have people asking me for a recommendation when I can't get their car in at my house.

So far I am impressed with the work that they did. Not overly impressed with the amount of time it took but I don't know how much control they had on that. I think that really fell on the insurance company and having to transport it to the alignment shop plus waiting for an axle that had to be shipped from Germany. Brian was great through it all even with me constantly emailing him for progress updates. They are moving soon to a bigger shop because they have been slammed. I would feel confident recommending people there.

8 minutes ago, Nick_F said:

So far I am impressed with the work that they did. Not overly impressed with the amount of time it took but I don't know how much control they had on that. I think that really fell on the insurance company and having to transport it to the alignment shop plus waiting for an axle that had to be shipped from Germany. Brian was great through it all even with me constantly emailing him for progress updates. They are moving soon to a bigger shop because they have been slammed. I would feel confident recommending people there.

Awesome!  I feel like the communication of the progress is almost more important than the amount of time it took.  Glad to hear it worked out for you!

2 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Awesome!  I feel like the communication of the progress is almost more important than the amount of time it took.  Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Yea, he even threw in a couple free things like boost leak test so my impression with him has been great.