WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

On 4/24/2019 at 8:31 AM, Jdesign said:

• Load Bearing Capacity (DIN 18032-02): >200 psi • R-Value: x<1

should be several factors greater than needed for a car.

probably not going to support the point load of a floor jack castor, but i think that is the case for any type of plastic modular flooring.

did you get any ramp edge pieces?

3 hours ago, jc43089 said:

I need an intervention.  I bought another Sienna van which brings the total to 3.  It was my parents van and my mom hit a deer and insurance totaled it.  I bought it back for $2000.  It needs a hood, bumper cover, both headlights, radiator, condenser, fan shroud, grill, and part of the radiator support replaced.  Insurance quote was 6700.  I ordered everything but the core support for less than 1000 shipped from RockAuto.  And I have a core support to pick up at a local salvage yard for 100 tomorrow.  I would have preferred used parts already the right color but I couldn't find any remotely nearby so i will be trying my hand at painting.  It's a facelift 2nd gen which I guess not many are in junkyards yet.  It's an '09 XLE with 120k miles.  I will not be engine swapping this one though.  It should replace the '01 with 210k on it.  Insurance valued it at about 9k.

Anyone need a deluxe green 1st gen Sienna XLE, it even has a VHS player?  It has a little rust but runs good, new genuine VVT solenoids, new A/F sensors, all 4 shocks/struts just replaced.  I'm thinking $2500ish

I had a 1st gen Sienna, I actually liked it more than my current 2nd gen. It felt like a Toyota product, this feels like a Nissan product (now my infiniti is going to spitefully break). I know where the VVT solenoids are on the 1MZ,  do you have any idea where they are on the 3MZ? I have what I believe is some VVT rattle and wanted to check/clean the filters if I can find them but so far I have not been able to. 

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

should be several factors greater than needed for a car.

probably not going to support the point load of a floor jack castor, but i think that is the case for any type of plastic modular flooring.

did you get any ramp edge pieces?

I don't have any edge pieces unfortunately. 

I will test a large section before I do the entire floor. If it doesn't work for me I will just sell it all. But I think for the most part even if it cant sustain using a floor jack, it will be perfect for work benches and such. I will post more as I install it this weekend.

6 hours ago, jc43089 said:

I need an intervention.  I bought another Sienna van which brings the total to 3.  It was my parents van and my mom hit a deer and insurance totaled it.  I bought it back for $2000.  It needs a hood, bumper cover, both headlights, radiator, condenser, fan shroud, grill, and part of the radiator support replaced.  Insurance quote was 6700.  I ordered everything but the core support for less than 1000 shipped from RockAuto.  And I have a core support to pick up at a local salvage yard for 100 tomorrow.  I would have preferred used parts already the right color but I couldn't find any remotely nearby so i will be trying my hand at painting.  It's a facelift 2nd gen which I guess not many are in junkyards yet.  It's an '09 XLE with 120k miles.  I will not be engine swapping this one though.  It should replace the '01 with 210k on it.  Insurance valued it at about 9k.

Anyone need a deluxe green 1st gen Sienna XLE, it even has a VHS player?  It has a little rust but runs good, new genuine VVT solenoids, new A/F sensors, all 4 shocks/struts just replaced.  I'm thinking $2500ish

You should finish one of your other projects.  Like the E36 or the m5x sienna.

16 hours ago, B C said:

I had a 1st gen Sienna, I actually liked it more than my current 2nd gen. It felt like a Toyota product, this feels like a Nissan product (now my infiniti is going to spitefully break). I know where the VVT solenoids are on the 1MZ,  do you have any idea where they are on the 3MZ? I have what I believe is some VVT rattle and wanted to check/clean the filters if I can find them but so far I have not been able to. 

I will look at the 3MZ I have from the '04 and see where they are, I would think it wouldn't be that different?  But its dual VVTi instead of just the intake cams I think so the heads must be different.

I will say the 1st gen seems sturdier but the face lift 2nd gen that I am repairing has the 2GR-FE which is way more powerful and the 5 speed is nice.  It tows so much better than the 1MZ and 4 spd transmission.  

13 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

You should finish one of your other projects.  Like the E36 or the m5x sienna.

Yea, 4 weeks of work left and then I am off for the summer so the m50 Sienna will get worked on then.  I'm planning to drive it to The Hawk vintage races in July.

I gave some flooring to my friend that helped me move all of it and he gave me some feedback. Apparently its fairly loud to walk on, and per the website they suggest an underlayment of rubber sheeting. I was considering using a foam underlayment or tar paper used for wood flooring to see if this helps. I will follow up with a video this weekend to see.

10 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

loud? its a garage lol. is anything we do in there quiet? also, to be clear, the floor jack thing really isnt an issue. for any type of plastic floor you will need wide base jack stands and use sheets of ply or other material under jacks to spread the load out.

I like to sneak up on my cars before I work on them so they don't see it coming. 

He said it basically sounds like you have tap dancing shoes on. I could see that being really annoying compared to concrete. Anything to dampen noise really helps in a garage, especially when you have neighbors and like working late at night. I would hate to make it louder than it already is.

10 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

More like all those BMW Ken Block fans offering up their life savings and a kidney for a sweet sweet hoonigan stickered BMW for hooning like Gymkhana 32.5

13 hours ago, Ryan... said:

Big week boys, got engaged on Monday, put in an offer on a house on Wednesday, and just today the fiance said she misses me having a sports car.

Best week ever? Perhaps :)

Congrats!  I'll tell you as I've told my other buddies before they got married, it's not that bad.  Now for the cynical side of me, get that house in both of your names and get the car in your name!

I'll be waiting for my wedding invite.

So I had an emergency come up Monday and had to take my car into Milwaukee Motorwerks. I looked at reviews and found the few posts on here and everyone seemed pleased with the service with the exception of one person. Anyone have more recent interactions with them? So far they seem to be taking good care of me.

4 minutes ago, Nick_F said:

Yea, I've been dealing with Brian and so far so good he has been extremely helpful. Figured I wanted to try and stay away from those dealership labor prices for some suspension work

I went to HS with Brian. I have watched his business grow from day 1. I use to spend a lot of time in that shop and his prior ones as well until I moved to Madison.