WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

On 2/15/2019 at 1:11 PM, Nick_F said:

Anybody have input on bosch vs delphi ignition coils? I ordered delphi but am questioning my decision 

I used Delphi on my n54 in desperation and had issues and immediately went back to Bosch.  The Bosch cp's have a lifetime warranty as of 2017-ish so no reason to buy anything else as far as i'm concerned.

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I used Delphi on my n54 in desperation and had issues and immediately went back to Bosch.  The Bosch cp's have a lifetime warranty as of 2017-ish so no reason to buy anything else as far as i'm concerned.

Yea I've seen that more than once now. Went with bosch's 

3 hours ago, HipMF said:

Drivers side external door handle just broke. I don't know why e36s even came with door cards. At a minimum they should have come with some kind of quick-release fasteners... Maybe I'll get some hood pins to put it back on with this time.

I just leave my door cards in the garage.  The door handle is a pain, have you done one before?

my drivers front brake caliper partially locked up on the way home from work friday night.

i felt it happen about 4 blocks from home and pulled over to confirm. i finished my drive home.

smoke was pouring from the wheel well when i got there.

i was impressed by the heat generated.

i busted out the lasers and glow sticks and had a rave so i wouldn't waste the smoke show.

taking the bus to work while waiting for parts is not fun.

5 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

I have no idea what thread or what member this was in but like 6 months ago someone posted that they found a non-running e34 m5 in Minneapolis. It was in a garage and looked like it had body damage. 

Any info on that or why nobody here bought it? 

I think @Jdesign was interested. I think it had a blown motor.

1 hour ago, Rekpoint said:

I think @Jdesign was interested. I think it had a blown motor.

Thats alright, it's somewhere in a dark garage weeping for a cast iron 5.3 😢

jk

Pretty sure a s38 rebuild costs like $8000, but every other e30 m3 I see has a s50/52 in it. I'd enjoy something like that instead of it rotting in a garage.

The blown motor and trans is probably worth a few grand aswell

14 hours ago, HipMF said:

Drivers side external door handle just broke. I don't know why e36s even came with door cards. At a minimum they should have come with some kind of quick-release fasteners... Maybe I'll get some hood pins to put it back on with this time.

Luckily they're super easy to change in compacts/sedans versus coupes/verts. You have to remove the window and rear window guide and you'll have all the room you could need. Removing and reattaching the linkage to the door latch is worst part about it. If you pull the handle and it either gets hung up or doesn't pop the door at all, your handle snapped and needs to be fully replaced. The other thing that sucks is that they did not use the same style for handles throughout e36 production. I've encountered three different ones so you will want to remove yours to at least see exactly what you have before going and searching for a replacement. There are plenty of part outs for a used one to be had=)

16 hours ago, ChrisO said:

I have no idea what thread or what member this was in but like 6 months ago someone posted that they found a non-running e34 m5 in Minneapolis. It was in a garage and looked like it had body damage. 

Any info on that or why nobody here bought it? 

That was me. I never went to go look at it. It did have body damage and rust, I got additional photos as requested, and the motor was not blown, but I was told it just didnt run. The owner had no time or idea on what it would take to fix it and unfortunately he responded late to me and I bought something else. A lack of details made me skeptical about a 6 hour drive one way. It did have the rare M-Technic mirrors and some interesting parts that would make it worth buying for just those, but I passed up on the deal. I have his email still if you want to contact him, PM me.

IMG_4304.JPGIMG_4307.JPG

7 hours ago, Earl said:

Luckily they're super easy to change in compacts/sedans versus coupes/verts. You have to remove the window and rear window guide and you'll have all the room you could need. Removing and reattaching the linkage to the door latch is worst part about it. If you pull the handle and it either gets hung up or doesn't pop the door at all, your handle snapped and needs to be fully replaced. The other thing that sucks is that they did not use the same style for handles throughout e36 production. I've encountered three different ones so you will want to remove yours to at least see exactly what you have before going and searching for a replacement. There are plenty of part outs for a used one to be had=)

Good to know, I replaced mine on my coupe.  There are some key tricks to avoid breaking parts.  Like removing the plug on the back edge of the door and reaching in with a screwdriver to push the outside trim retaining plate forward and it just comes off.  Some youtube DIY videos just pull on it until it breaks...  Mark where the bolts are for the window track before loosening.  It was tricky to get it aligned properly.  Although I was trying to get it adjust so that I can close the door without the window hitting the top because my window drop doesn't work.