WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

15 hours ago, Nick_F said:

It's cool that it's a CSV file, because it makes it look like I'm actually doing work right now.

Not that familiar with these engines, but I can see you're not hitting your boost targets. Fuel rail pressure drops about 10% during the pull... not sure if that's normal. Timing is also really low if that's total timing and not a "correction factor" or trim value of some sort...

22 minutes ago, Nick_F said:

Here is a better log that I did a full 3rd gear pull starting at ~3k to ~6.5k

https://datazap.me/u/fnick123/full-3rd-gear-pull?log=0&data=3-14

The only thing that really stands out to me is that your boost is under target by about 2psi. It's targeting ~12psi and you're seeing ~10psi, I think stock boost is ~8psi.

Timing looks normal for 93 octane. You do have a few corrections on cylinder 3 & 4, but nothing to worry about. I'm sure the new plugs/coils will help this.

Have you checked your charge pipe area yet? A boost leak test wouldn't hurt.

2 hours ago, Nick_F said:

I did find the big culprit. Map sensor had grease on the hot wires and was blocking the openings. Still planning on plugs and coils this weekend. I think I just scared myself more than anything 

Good!  Nice simple fix then.  Fear, sounds about right for N5x ownership lol.  Every time I floored it in my N54 I felt great joy and an overwhelming sense of fear of what may break this time and I've since felt that way in other n5x cars.  Great fun when they run!

45 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Good!  Nice simple fix then.  Fear, sounds about right for N5x ownership lol.  Every time I floored it in my N54 I felt great joy and an overwhelming sense of fear of what may break this time and I've since felt that way in other n5x cars.  Great fun when they run!

Yea, I'm learning the fear fairly quick but I love the car.  I'm going to be focusing my time now on maintenance and fluids for peace of mind. 

35 minutes ago, YoungCR said:

Had a fun time driving down from Marinette yesterday afternoon. I stopped counting cars after seeing one in the ditch every 1/8th mile for a few miles. Didn’t see clear roads until I hit chicago and then south of there freezing rain started 🙄

I had a buddy put a car in the ditch around Mauston yesterday, ended up almost in a marsh about 30-40ft off the road, almost took out a tree too. He's a subpar driver overall which is what i think landed him there, but still. Only an inch or two of snow down when this happened too. 

Also REALLY hoping that class gets cancelled tomorrow, I'd kill to not have to go to my physics lab.

I'm considering giving life a good old "fuck it" and buying myself a $20k headache...

1982 Ferrari Mondial, red, 77k, $19,950. Showed the girlfriend and she said, "It's ugly, I don't care." which is a thumbs up in girl-speak!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Ferrari-Mondial-Coupe/223356693574?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2 hours ago, Ryan... said:

I'm considering giving life a good old "fuck it" and buying myself a $20k headache...

1982 Ferrari Mondial, red, 77k, $19,950. Showed the girlfriend and she said, "It's ugly, I don't care." which is a thumbs up in girl-speak!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Ferrari-Mondial-Coupe/223356693574?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

In for LS swap.

1 hour ago, rampelsauce said:

Do it bud. Would make a great rally crosser.

Noooooooooo

56 minutes ago, wasnt m3 said:

I think anyone can agree that the cheapest Ferrari on market is generally not a good idea. You'd think they'd have a much better description, especially being a dealer that sells tons of exotics and projects.  

Definitely not a good idea.. I found more info on in it on FChat, a couple guys there have looked at it an gotten the scoop. Would be something where I got a PPI before hand, and I know already based on other's info that it's due for a major service and the obvious interior refinishing.

General consensus is, if you can drop the rear subframe that cradles the engine/trans/rear suspension you can save a lot of money, and if you don't need something pristine it would be a great driver's car.

I'm under no illusions it would be cheap, or fast, or smart in any way. 

11 minutes ago, HipMF said:

In for LS swap.

Heck no, it's already got a 9.2 second 0-60, why ruin that performance with a cheap American engine?