WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

I went to look at an Amish house last night.  It does have running water but only cold to a toilet and the kitchen sink.  It's a regular well with an electric pump.  Built in 2016 and the upstairs isn't finished out yet which would make wiring easier.

Considering how long we could live with minimal electricity...

Levi lit the gas lamp in the kitchen and it is just as good as an electric light.

I would have to install a water heater and shower.  The bathroom that is finished was designed for a regular tub/shower to fit so it isn't that big of a deal.

The horse barn has a 50x50 area that has a high ceiling and could be finished out into a shop really nice while still having a 64x50 area for storage and our farm critters.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5573-Silver-Leaf-Rd_Athens_WI_54411_M86195-75726?ex=WI637787195#photo0

Am I crazy?  Probably.

They were not planning on moving when they built it but are moving to south west Wisconsin, he didn't say why.  When he decided to move he quit finishing the upstairs because it would make installing electrical and plumbing easier which was smart.  I got a good offer on my house in Iowa that I accepted so just paperwork to do now.  We sold FSBO.  The house pretty much sold itself with all of the work I did on it.  https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/87125372_zpid/43.449398,-93.345917,43.429985,-93.382824_rect/14_zm/1_fr/?view=public

That looks great.  I would factor in hiring a plumber and electrician to do the whole thing right, otherwise it will never be what it should be.  Even go so far as to rip apart the first floor as necessary, then drywall the whole thing.

Seems like a great deal and a great property.

42 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

It looks like a pretty nice house and for 10 acres that is a great price.  What would it cost to outfit the house with electricity? 

30 minutes ago, REKIII said:

That looks great.  I would factor in hiring a plumber and electrician to do the whole thing right, otherwise it will never be what it should be.  Even go so far as to rip apart the first floor as necessary, then drywall the whole thing.

Seems like a great deal and a great property.

He had gotten a quote to retrofit with electricity for 15k.  I am  Master Electrician in Wisconsin so I would do it myself and could probably get it done for 3k.  But yes a professional quote is what I would use to consider pricing.  Location is a big factor.  This is in a pretty rural area not near Madison or Milwaukee, even if it was within 15 miles of Wausau it would be priced 150% higher.

I think the price is a little high, this house sold recently and I would have bought it but timing wasn't right.  Very similar size, built 10 years ago.  Already has plumbing and electrical (Mennonite built, not Amish) and it has a 50x100 shed with 50x50 of it insulated with a heated slab.  The house and shop were both insulated with spray foam and had in floor heat.  The location is only a couple miles away so location is similar.  https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6180-Iron-Bridge-Rd_Athens_WI_54411_M77373-34252?view=qv

Compared to that I would be ok paying 160ish for the Amish house, I feel a little bad because I know he has way more than that into it but I can't do anything about that.

Accepted an offer on our Iowa house yesterday.  Just waiting for paperwork...

On 10/12/2018 at 3:00 PM, Daggerty said:

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/online-srvcs/other-servs/vki.aspx

if you need to change your county of operation, you can now do it yourself for free. 

I actually just noticed this last week as I needed to renew some plates and was surfing the DOT's site. Thought it was kind of weird since they are so strict on making sure you register in the right county.

On 10/12/2018 at 3:00 PM, Daggerty said:

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/online-srvcs/other-servs/vki.aspx

if you need to change your county of operation, you can now do it yourself for free. 

so if you register a car in a non-emissions testing county, then later switch it to an emissions county, like Milwaukee, are they going to make you go in for testing?

6 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

so if you register a car in a non-emissions testing county, then later switch it to an emissions county, like Milwaukee, are they going to make you go in for testing?

Not if you say the car is still stored in the non emmissions county.  My in-laws live in dodge county, so I put there township and doge as where I store them.  If I'm asked, "my inlaws live there, cars are stored in their barn" is the answer.

2 hours ago, REKIII said:

Not if you say the car is still stored in the non emmissions county.  My in-laws live in dodge county, so I put there township and doge as where I store them.  If I'm asked, "my inlaws live there, cars are stored in their barn" is the answer.

This^ I made the mistake once, and never will again (but I live in a non-emmisions county now anyways) Always register where its not a testing county. Its a super pain in the ass, and they fail you even if you have a TPMS light on. 

6 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Took what I'm assuming will be my last bike trip for the year, went up to Marquette, MI and rode with a couple non broken friends. 
Got this shot, which I find pretty neat. Trail gaps always look cool, and I had a friend ride the trail below for some context. 

Thats Awesome! I rode Lil Switz on Sunday for the last open day of the season. It was a blast!

I don’t know if any of our MSOE alums were part of the formula hybrid program while they were in school, but we did our very first test of a brand new chassis this morning. Super exciting, and it went off better than I think most of us expected. We were able to lock three of four tires in the brake test, and we expect with a little adjustment of brake bias we should be able to get all four to lock easily. We had issues with steering design, but in testing we found it to be more than acceptable, at least for these lower speeds (it’s limited by gearing to ~63mph). We didn’t even bottom out on the terrible pavement!

Not sure if the videos are gonna work, but I put them here anyway. Keep in mind that we weren’t anywhere near full throttle today and the hybrid system isn’t hooked up, so as it sits we’re at around half power. All said and done, it’ll have just under 100hp and weigh in the region of 800lbs. 

F738B3B4-6666-4303-9683-CD037A78BA22.jpeg