WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Need a pair of safety glasses?  I've got about 10 pairs floating around.  I learned that lesson the hard way as well.  Did they do the drill thing on your eyeball?

Have a ton of safety glasses, just slid under the car to look where the carrier bushing mounts and boom. Just a cornea abrasion 

Drove my old Yota from Iowa to Wisconsin yesterday pulling a trailer of stuff, 4 speed manual and 3.70 gears and a tractor engine make for a long trip.  It was built in the days of 55mph speed limits.  About 15 miles remaining and the alternator locked up tight.  It's old school with multiple v belts so I just removed the alternator/power steering belt.  Thankfully the water pump has it's own belt.  The lights were pretty dim but I made it.  I was hauling tools so it was only a 5 minute delay.

We had 2 showings yesterday and 1 or 2 more today.  We didn't actually list the house, just facebook and craigslist and called a couple realtors and offered a finders fee if they had anyone interested.  Acreages are really hard to come by so there is a lot of interest right away.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1235213359955216

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

Are Altimax Arctics still what all the cool kids are running? What's the verdict on the "12" vs the original model?

Edit: Priorities are ice racing only because that's where it counts, and anything that's good enough to win at IceX is going to be fine/tolerable for DD duty.

the 12 is pretty new. unless someone bought fresh tires right before last season, we're all on the previous version. personally, i'd trust that the new ones will be as good as the old. the tread design looks like an 'iteration' not some kind of re-make or big change. 

I'm definitely getting a fresh set this year. I suspect part of the reason the e34 was so good was because the tires were fresh, not a year or two old like everyone else's. Plus I need to go down a size to keep them from rubbing now that the car is lowered. Looking at 185/65/15, was also considering Nokians, but I guess I'll have to do some research.

2 hours ago, HipMF said:

"Tractionizer..." Seems legit...

Apparently CWSCC/FVSCC place them in the Unlimited class with studded tire cars, so they must make a big difference! Pretty neat stuff, I never would've thought that shredding your snow tires could make a difference like that. 

http://www.cwscc.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=841902273

3 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Apparently CWSCC/FVSCC place them in the Unlimited class with studded tire cars, so they must make a big difference! Pretty neat stuff, I never would've thought that shredding your snow tires could make a difference like that. 

http://www.cwscc.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=841902273

Seems like a good move. I can't imagine they last long on pavement after being torn up like that.

2 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Seems like a good move. I can't imagine they last long on pavement after being torn up like that.

I'd imagine they'd get shredded pretty quickly on normal roads haha. I wonder if it needs to be done on new tires or if you could do it to a worn set and have some fun before getting rid of them.