WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Well it's a big day today.  I'm putting in my two weeks notice at Hormel Foods.  I'm taking a job back in Wisconsin!  Nine years ago I graduated from Northcentral Technical College in Wausau with an AAS in Electromechanical Technology and went to work for Hormel Foods in Dubuque, IA.  Through that time I was a Maintenance Electrician, then an Instrumentation Technician, then moved to their Engineering R&D group near Austin, MN as a Programming Technician, basically an hourly Controls Engineer.

I will be going back to NTC as an instructor in the Electromechanical Technology department.  Hormel is a great company to work for it's mostly about being closer to family.  Both my family and my wife's family live near Wausau.

So this is pretty exciting but also happening pretty fast.  Yikes.

12 minutes ago, Earl said:

Congrats to you=) So you'll have to sell your house with the dream barn and hopefully find something up this way?

Thanks, yea it isn't finished but it's a good start for whatever somebody else wants it to be.  I just trenched in a 100A feeder and installed a breaker box out there last weekend.

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Patiently waiting for @HipMF to post some weekend photos. 

Took zero pictures this weekend.

"Fixed" the rad fan on the e21. (kept blowing fuses. took it off, tested it, worked fine. put it back on, works fine...)

Other than that, just dug up some stuff out of storage that I need to get rid of. Looking forward to getting my new apartment. Not looking forward to moving.

3 hours ago, HipMF said:

"Fixed" the rad fan on the e21. (kept blowing fuses. took it off, tested it, worked fine. put it back on, works fine...)

Other than that, just dug up some stuff out of storage that I need to get rid of. Looking forward to getting my new apartment. Not looking forward to moving.

Sounds like the perfect fix. 
I heard Brett showed up and put in an equal amount of effort.

4 hours ago, HipMF said:

Moving sucks. I hate it. Amazing how much $h!t you accumulate over the years.

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I've been looking for a new winter beater and 4runner's have been coming up.  Let's say I can find a rust free-ish model, what are your thoughts on the 3rd gen 4runner?

i've had limited seat time in one, but, they are a handsome truck and drive really nice on pavement considering they are actually acceptable at going off pavement in stock trim.

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I've been looking for a new winter beater and 4runner's have been coming up.  Let's say I can find a rust free-ish model, what are your thoughts on the 3rd gen 4runner?

They are awesome.I have nothing but good things to say about them besides....RUST.  CLOSELY inspect the frame. They have issues mid frame and where the rear shocks and axles mount to the frame. A simple google search will give you an idea. I want one too, but havent found a good example without looking down south.

4 hours ago, Jdesign said:

They are awesome.I have nothing but good things to say about them besides....RUST.  CLOSELY inspect the frame. They have issues mid frame and where the rear shocks and axles mount to the frame. A simple google search will give you an idea. I want one too, but havent found a good example without looking down south.

5 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i've had limited seat time in one, but, they are a handsome truck and drive really nice on pavement considering they are actually acceptable at going off pavement in stock trim.

Thanks guys!  Everyone i've worked on has been a rust disaster but they look awesome, have ground clearance and a solid 4wd system.  I'll keep thinking.  I keep coming back to non v8 e39's...

3 hours ago, GB-335xiCoupe said:

What years range the 3rd Gen? Looks like they have evolved quite a bit over the years. Autotrader has TONS of them listed. But $ anywhere from a couple grand up.

1995 - 2002 but i'd be looking for the later years.  I'm really leaning towards an xc70 or an e39.  They're cheaper to insure than the 4runner by about $80 a year!