WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

23 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Graffiti is awesome. I think the largest misconception about it is that its gang related, when in actuality that's only true 98% of the time.

If you want to find some really good stuff, you need to look for trains and underpasses.

Have you seen Exit Through the Gift Shop?  It's an entertaining watch if you haven't.  The history behind some graffiti and street art is pretty neat like the OBEY stickers you see everywhere.  Now, is it really a misconception if it's true 98% of the time? lol.  Sorry, I had to do that.

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

Graffiti is awesome. I think the largest misconception about it is that its gang related, when in actuality that's only true 98% of the time.

If you want to find some really good stuff, you need to look for trains and underpasses.

Some work is clearly stunning but once your own property has been tagged the perception changes. As a former small commercial building owner in MKE every time the building got tagged my first reaction was to think about claymores and bear traps. More realistically I'd clean everything up and repaint so I didn't get the rival retags, and wait for the next time.  

I do some building maintenance and janitorial duties for a few extra dollars ( its safer and more legal than prostitution) . Some dicknose keeps writing "ZOMBOY" in sharpie on one of the garbage cans in front of the vape shop.  Hardly something to complain about, but my Mr.Clean Magic Eraser can only do so much

14 minutes ago, snap said:

I do some building maintenance and janitorial duties for a few extra dollars ( its safer and more legal than prostitution) . Some dicknose keeps writing "ZOMBOY" in sharpie on one of the garbage cans in front of the vape shop.  Hardly something to complain about, but my Mr.Clean Magic Eraser can only do so much

What's in your head?

In your head?

Zomboy?

On 7/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, straight6pwr said:

is a person able to legally operate a child care if one of the people in the house is a violent offender? thats fucked up.

On 7/24/2018 at 1:10 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

You know i'm not 100% sure but you'd hope not.  I understand the embarrasment of having to tell someone that your husband has been charged with domestic abuse in the past but for fucks sake when it's other peoples children you might want to disclose that.  Like, I still wouldn't put my kid in that house but at least aknowledge it and tell me that you're seeking therapy together or some shit.

I'm not 100% positive if that's a law or not (offender being around a child care place) but there are likely regulations about it.

The other thing that could be important is to distinguish what the actual charges are. Domestic is an enhancer in Wisconsin, so you can have Battery, Disorderly Conduct, Criminal Damage to Property, etc. If the people involved in those crimes have a "Domestic" relationship (married/ever been married, kids in common, ever lived together as adults) it becomes a Domestic Battery, Domestic DC, etc and has a mandatory arrest in the State of Wisconsin. Not all domestics are violent, and the threshold for a Disorderly Conduct is very, very low in these situations.

There are a lot of instances where I would give a warning or perhaps a municipal citation (aka not a criminal charge) for DC, but due to the fact they have a domestic relationship we're required to make a custodial arrest and charge them with misdemeanor DC.

1 hour ago, Ryan... said:

I'm not 100% positive if that's a law or not (offender being around a child care place) but there are likely regulations about it.

The other thing that could be important is to distinguish what the actual charges are. Domestic is an enhancer in Wisconsin, so you can have Battery, Disorderly Conduct, Criminal Damage to Property, etc. If the people involved in those crimes have a "Domestic" relationship (married/ever been married, kids in common, ever lived together as adults) it becomes a Domestic Battery, Domestic DC, etc and has a mandatory arrest in the State of Wisconsin. Not all domestics are violent, and the threshold for a Disorderly Conduct is very, very low in these situations.

There are a lot of instances where I would give a warning or perhaps a municipal citation (aka not a criminal charge) for DC, but due to the fact they have a domestic relationship we're required to make a custodial arrest and charge them with misdemeanor DC.

Thanks for the explanation.  Dealing in background checks i'm familiar with how easily it is for a man to get a domestic abuse charge.  What tipped me off was how many he's had over the course of years.  One?  I can chalk it up to wrong place/wrong time, bad day, whatever.  Multiples is a pattern and she said she kicked him out of the house when we asked.  It's not worth risking my childs safety, not that I think you were advocating that at all.

3 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Dealing in background checks i'm familiar with how easily it is for a man to get a domestic abuse charge.  What tipped me off was how many he's had over the course of years.  One?  I can chalk it up to wrong place/wrong time, bad day, whatever.  Multiples is a pattern and she said she kicked him out of the house when we asked.  It's not worth risking my childs safety, not that I think you were advocating that at all.

Reading back now, I realize I'd glossed over the multiple part.

I definitely wouldn't want my child around that, violent or not. Like you mentioned, those patterns show a very disturbing home life and way of living. Once I see that people have multiple domestic charges the first thing I think is that there are probably a lot more that weren't reported, vs when there's one charge it's very easy to reason that it was a one-time thing as you mentioned.

Thanks. I've been spending a lot of time with the camera lately. I took a bunch of pictures at a show where my co-workers band was playing on Saturday, but most of them turned out like crap. It was a challenge because the place looks kind of crappy in general and the "stage lighting" is a bit obnoxious. Autofocus was also giving me a hard time because it was so dark. On top of that, bands aren't just standing around waiting for you to line up a good shot (and neither is the audience for that matter...). It's a lot more difficult than any of the other stuff I've taken pictures of. I had a good time though. Drank too much (big surprise).

ZM7xolM.jpg

8Vl0fvJ.jpg

LHxGVoi.jpg

mike, did you crank the ISO and shoot wide open? the weakspot of lower end DSLRs is low light, but you can overcome it a little with some manual focus shooting. two options for manual that could help:

1)try 'bracketing' your focus, i.e. take a series of shots while slightly turning the focus ring. its hard as hell to see the focus in dim light through those viewfinders. i use this often because my right eye is nearsighted and so I can't see the focus at all sometimes. 

2)set the manual focus to a certain distance then move yourself closer or away from the subject in small increments (probably hard in a scenario like shooting a live show) 

another tip: aim your focus point on the edge of something of high contrast. for instance on that last photo, where the back of the metal chair and the stage meet. if the focus point is in an area of all dark or an area of all bright, it will tend to search back and forth. 

2 hours ago, GB-335xiCoupe said:

Someone kindly translate the overpass ones? I can make out some of the letters, but not really making sense to me.

SLICK ROSE? Maybe...

Vile-E and Rose? Two separate artists? I have no clue. Once the letters start overlapping it gets near impossible to decipher. In videos I've seen "writers" trace the letters with their hands to "feel" what was being written, but they obviously have a lot of experience with this...

The "tags" that are next to the piece also tell you who put it there, and would give you a clue if you were up on these things...

Edit: Spent more time looking at it and realized the first three pics are all the same pair, third pic is in the opposite order. Still can't say for certain what either of them says...

13 hours ago, GB-335xiCoupe said:

Someone kindly translate the overpass ones? I can make out some of the letters, but not really making sense to me.

SLICK ROSE? Maybe...

This is what I see:

Vitial / Vitel (more likely an "a" due to his signature)

RUE - Pretty easy to read

Spar___ I cant see the whole thing

Separate artist working together at the same time is the case in the first 3. This is pretty common because you can get more color down faster. Both artists will most likely have pre-drawn examples of what they are going to paint before hand and just copy it to the wall. Both will likely layout their own outlines, but will work together to do fills, shadows, and highlights.