WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

I'm out in Estes Park Colorado for my brother in laws wedding and a couple of us went for a canyon drive this morning through Devils Guch rd.  It was the most intense drive i've taken on a public road with a total elevation change around 900ft.  There were a set of STEEP downhill hairpin's that scared the shit out of me that had the largest drop during the whole drive. The 550i I have out here did OK but the brakes were easily over taken by the size of this thing.  The sport auto is not made for sporty driving like this and manual mode would be made better if I could actually hear the exhaust instead of having to watch the tach to shift.  It was a ton of fun and i'd love to get the M on a road like this!

20180705_080249.jpgScreenshot_20180705-100935_Maps.jpg20180705_082751.jpg

That reminds me of when I lived in Grand Junction, CO back in the late 80's. Had a blast driving my Dad's Honda Prelude with 4-wheel steering through the Colorado National Monument park, which was basically my back yard. Good times for a 16 year old novice driver! LOL Yes, those are cliffs, and a long long way down.

CoNatMonument.jpg

The people who built this road probably have nightmares to this day.

CoNatMonument2.jpg

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I'm out in Estes Park Colorado for my brother in laws wedding and a couple of us went for a canyon drive this morning through Devils Guch rd.  It was the most intense drive i've taken on a public road with a total elevation change around 900ft.  There were a set of STEEP downhill hairpin's that scared the shit out of me that had the largest drop during the whole drive. The 550i I have out here did OK but the brakes were easily over taken by the size of this thing.  The sport auto is not made for sporty driving like this and manual mode would be made better if I could actually hear the exhaust instead of having to watch the tach to shift.  It was a ton of fun and i'd love to get the M on a road like this!

looks like fun!

20 hours ago, GB-335xiCoupe said:

That reminds me of when I lived in Grand Junction, CO back in the late 80's. Had a blast driving my Dad's Honda Prelude with 4-wheel steering through the Colorado National Monument park, which was basically my back yard. Good times for a 16 year old novice driver! LOL Yes, those are cliffs, and a long long way down.

Oh man. I hope it was a 3rd prelude. If I had the chance to buy a clean one of those I would in a heart beat. They are amazing machines!

On 7/6/2018 at 1:33 PM, GB-335xiCoupe said:

Not sure, looked like this one in Barbados Yellow. With the 4WS, it was quite the car for its day!

1988-honda-prelude-8.jpg

How long ago was that? My buddy had a barbados 3rd gen 4WS for a few years. I loved that thing, maybe you bought it from him?

_MG_6793.JPG