WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Yea I found that and it was helpful to confirm the cold start valve is supposed to receive 12V.  This old beast is L-Jetronic, not Motronic, so the spark is timed by turning the distributor and the injectors batch fire triggered by a pulse every 180 degrees inside the distributor, so every 360 of the crankshaft.  Quite crude, there is no O2 sensor so it is a totally open loop system based on only the AFM and throttle position switch.  I've never worked on an L-Jet car before so it was a learning experience.

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

Yea I found that and it was helpful to confirm the cold start valve is supposed to receive 12V.  This old beast is L-Jetronic, not Motronic, so the spark is timed by turning the distributor and the injectors batch fire triggered by a pulse every 180 degrees inside the distributor, so every 360 of the crankshaft.  Quite crude, there is no O2 sensor so it is a totally open loop system based on only the AFM and throttle position switch.  I've never worked on an L-Jet car before so it was a learning experience.

Oh dang. So is it an E12 based car?

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

Yes it is.  I think the L-Jet was only used for a few years ending about '81.

So what year is it then? 80-82?

9 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

Sometimes you have to stop(mowing) and smell the flowers. Also, need to think about buying a camera. Any suggestions? 

Im a big fan of Canon Rebels. But it really comes down to how much you want to spend.

19 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

Sometimes you have to stop(mowing) and smell the flowers. Also, need to think about buying a camera. Any suggestions? 

I hardly spent any time shopping around so I'm not a great resource. The only thing I miss about my old point-and-shoot is the huge zoom range that it had (24-300mm). My DSLR came with a 18-55mm lens, which I think is pretty standard. You'll need a longer lens if you want to get a close-up of anything that's more that 20 or 30 feet away.

lens-focal-length.png

For reference 50mm is considered the "standard" length where the perspective is most natural. Below that things start to have a wide-angle or fish-eye look, and above that things start to look overly "flat".

Edit: This example shows the perspective difference more clearly because the size of the frame is kept the same. Everything in photography seems to be a trade-off... You can't seem to change anything without changing something else.

focal-length-comparison.jpg

6 hours ago, REKIII said:

You guys are all getting old, buying houses and such.  For years I've envied your ability to pack-up and move anywhere, not being tied down, now you're all domesticated and stuff.

Who will I live vicariously through??

we all like to work on cars. it pretty much precludes us from a nomad lifestyle. tools, parts, and non-running e30s is a lot of stuff to move around.

After nearly two years of casually (and not very seriously) searching for and talking about a newer and more practical daily driver, I stumbled across a well cared for car with the right options and colors for a decent price (and a few extra goodies!). I reached an agreement with the seller following a detailed PPI and locked it down as mine. Don't worry, it's a BMW. I'll be flying to New Mexico to pick it up on the 10th and drive it home! 

9 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

my guess is an alpine wagon, manual trans. i only guess that, because that's what i'd get, and we have near identical taste.

You right that it's a wagon! We definitely have nearly identical taste because if I could pick my exact ideal wagon (edit: that isn't pre 2000 where everything is better, because we all know an e30 touring is the best touring), it would be an alpine LCI E91 6-speed. I'll leave all the details as a sort of surprise for after I pick it up. Believe it or not, it's an auto, but it checked nearly every other box for what I was looking for and is my other favorite color that they came in. Of course I really wanted a manual, but they're rare as hens teeth and command a very hefty premium for anything that isn't beat or beige... 

9 hours ago, m42b32 said:

You right that it's a wagon! We definitely have nearly identical taste because if I could pick my exact ideal wagon (edit: that isn't pre 2000 where everything is better, because we all know an e30 touring is the best touring), it would be an alpine LCI E91 6-speed. I'll leave all the details as a sort of surprise for after I pick it up. Believe it or not, it's an auto, but it checked nearly every other box for what I was looking for and is my other favorite color that they came in. Of course I really wanted a manual, but they're rare as hens teeth and command a very hefty premium for anything that isn't beat or beige... 

I believe we know a guy that manual swapped a wagon 🌚